What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Old March 29th 05, 05:20 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> Arif Khokar > wrote in
> :
>
>> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>>
>>> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and see your car approaching at
>>> 80 from 1/4 mile behind, should I immediately abort my pass, even if
>>> it means colliding with the car I'm passing? Or should I immediately
>>> slow down to pull into the right lane to allow you to pass first?

>> At 5 mph, it takes about 3 minutes to cover a quarter mile. Unless
>> you plan on taking more than 3 minutes to pass, I wouldn't worry about
>> it.

> That would be "completing the pass" before the faster car would be
> hindered,thus no problem.

That's exactly what I meant.

> But they expect to be able to pass regardless of faster traffic,MFFY
> behavior and LLBing.(duration of blocking is not relevant,it's still
> *blocking*)

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. If a car is in a lane, then by
definition that lane is blocked from faster cars using it. But following
that logic, no one could ever pass for fear of maybe blocking a lead-foot.

Old March 29th 05, 03:45 PM
Jim Yanik

"Harry K" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Jim Yanik wrote:
>> "Harry K" > wrote in
>> oups.com:

> YOU

> are

> twist,
>> > lane

> 'sloth

> mph.

> statement;

>> > Not man enough to admit you made a mistake eh??
>> >
>> > Harry K
>> >

>> Lets see your cite,Harry;back up your assertion.
>> That's the REAL question here.
>>
>> --
>> Jim Yanik
>> jyanik
>> at
>> kua.net

> Well, since you insist I stopped by the local SO (I used to work
> there). There were 3 Patrol present, I put forward your stance that I
> am somehow supposed to stay right while passing or rather rephrased to
> STKR applies while passing. All three had the same reply "The guy is a
> moron".
> I also put forward your stance that I am required to speed up to
> accommodate you. Same response.

So what if you asked a couple of police officers.Can you CITE any law or
provision of the law that says "slower traffic keep right" does not apply
if one is in the act of passing?
Who's to say you even explained it correctly.I suspect you did not.

Do you know what a "cite" is?? (short for citation)
Evidence,PROOF.

> I did discover something about the law I didn't know. 'On a three or
> more lane (in same direction) freeway, trucks and vehicles towing a
> trailers are prohibited in the left most lane'.

Perhaps in your state.
Not in all states,AFAIK.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 29th 05, 03:56 PM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
k.net:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>> Arif Khokar > wrote in
>> :

>>> At 5 mph, it takes about 3 minutes to cover a quarter mile. Unless
>>> you plan on taking more than 3 minutes to pass, I wouldn't worry
>>> about it.

>> That would be "completing the pass" before the faster car would be
>> hindered,thus no problem.

> That's exactly what I meant.
>
>> But they expect to be able to pass regardless of faster traffic,MFFY
>> behavior and LLBing.(duration of blocking is not relevant,it's still
>> *blocking*)

> I suppose that's one way of looking at it. If a car is in a lane,
> then by definition that lane is blocked from faster cars using it.
> But following that logic, no one could ever pass for fear of maybe
> blocking a lead-foot.

Not really.
It does require one be aware of approaching traffic in regards to their own
rate of passing or overtaking of a car they intend to pass.
Driving skills,IOW.

If "sloth" or micro-passing is hindering,at what rate would passing NOT be
LLBing? The answer is the rate that one not hinders faster traffic. (thus
not blocking the passing lane;the entire CONCEPT of "slower traffic keep
right".)

"Slower traffic keep right" implicitly implies(is that proper English,or
redundant?) that one NOT hinder faster traffic.Whether one is in the act of
passing or not.

Why else HAVE the STKR rule?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 29th 05, 04:43 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .

> It does require one be aware of approaching traffic in regards to their
> own
> rate of passing or overtaking of a car they intend to pass.
> Driving skills,IOW.
>
> If "sloth" or micro-passing is hindering,at what rate would passing NOT be
> LLBing? The answer is the rate that one not hinders faster traffic. (thus
> not blocking the passing lane;the entire CONCEPT of "slower traffic keep
> right".)
>
> "Slower traffic keep right" implicitly implies(is that proper English,or
> redundant?) that one NOT hinder faster traffic.Whether one is in the act
> of
> passing or not.

Perhaps we're arguing different points? If I used your logic, Jim, then no
one could ever use the passing lane. Even if a car was at 90 mph, it would
be blocking another car doing 100 mph regardless of how far behind the
second car was following.

I do agree with the premise (was it yours or Arif's?) that if a pass can be
completed without forcing an approaching car to slow down, that would be the
best scenario. But if a driver is exceeding the speed limit by a
significant margin like +25 mph then s/he needs to expect to be hindered at
some point. Either by another car or a LEO.

Old March 29th 05, 04:46 PM
Big Bill

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:02:53 -0500, Nate Nagel >
wrote:

>> So you're saying that I should extend courtesy to other drivers?
>> If so, prepare yourself! That's heresy!
>> If, OTOH, you're saying that if I have to yield before making a
>> maneuver that *MIGHT* affect other drivers, making them slow down or
>> change lanes (the HORROR!), I should forego the maneuver?

>That's exactly correct.
>
>> Get real. It's called *TRAFFIC*, and other drivers have to adjust to
>> it every time they drive.
>>

>That doesn't mean you should deliberately drive like an a-hole.
>
>nate

So you think I should go out of my way (even MILES out of my way), so
you can have a slightly easier drive?
Is lifting off the gas pedal that much of a strain?
Are you rteally that important?
Get over yourself; everybody isn't driving just to **** you off.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 29th 05, 04:48 PM
N8N

Big Bill wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:02:53 -0500, Nate Nagel >
> wrote:
>
> >> So you're saying that I should extend courtesy to other drivers?
> >> If so, prepare yourself! That's heresy!
> >> If, OTOH, you're saying that if I have to yield before making a
> >> maneuver that *MIGHT* affect other drivers, making them slow down

or
> >> change lanes (the HORROR!), I should forego the maneuver?

> >That's exactly correct.
> >
> >> Get real. It's called *TRAFFIC*, and other drivers have to adjust

> >> it every time they drive.
> >>

> >That doesn't mean you should deliberately drive like an a-hole.
> >
> >nate

> So you think I should go out of my way (even MILES out of my way), so
> you can have a slightly easier drive?
> Is lifting off the gas pedal that much of a strain?
> Are you rteally that important?
> Get over yourself; everybody isn't driving just to **** you off.

Why would you have to go miles out of your way? Just step on the
little skinny pedal on the right when passing. It's really not that
hard. And no, not everyone is driving to **** me off, just some
people, like you.

nate

Old March 29th 05, 05:07 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"N8N" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Big Bill wrote:

> or
>> >
>> >That's exactly correct.

>> >That doesn't mean you should deliberately drive like an a-hole.
>> >
>> >nate

>> So you think I should go out of my way (even MILES out of my way), so
>> you can have a slightly easier drive?
>> Is lifting off the gas pedal that much of a strain?
>> Are you rteally that important?
>> Get over yourself; everybody isn't driving just to **** you off.
>>

> Why would you have to go miles out of your way? Just step on the
> little skinny pedal on the right when passing. It's really not that
> hard. And no, not everyone is driving to **** me off, just some
> people, like you.

I don't drive to **** off anyone. But if I'm passing someone legally and
during the pass see you roaring up from behind doing 30 mph over the speed
limit, if you want to pass me then you'll just have to wait until I'm done
and move over. You don't like it, rear-end my car. I could use the money.
Lead-foot bullies aren't worth my sweat.

Old March 29th 05, 05:25 PM
Arif Khokar

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> I don't drive to **** off anyone. But if I'm passing someone legally and
> during the pass see you roaring up from behind doing 30 mph over the speed
> limit...

I wonder if you live in "I dream of Jeannie" land...

You're driving along, you start passing, and *POOF!*, another car going
30 mph over the speed limit suddenly appears behind you ...

It must be an interesting world to live in :-\
Old March 29th 05, 06:19 PM
N8N

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
> "N8N" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > Big Bill wrote:

drivers?

down
> > or

adjust

> >> So you think I should go out of my way (even MILES out of my way),

so
> >> you can have a slightly easier drive?
> >> Is lifting off the gas pedal that much of a strain?
> >> Are you rteally that important?
> >> Get over yourself; everybody isn't driving just to **** you off.
> >>

> > Why would you have to go miles out of your way? Just step on the
> > little skinny pedal on the right when passing. It's really not

that
> > hard. And no, not everyone is driving to **** me off, just some
> > people, like you.

> I don't drive to **** off anyone. But if I'm passing someone legally

and
> during the pass see you roaring up from behind doing 30 mph over the

speed
> limit, if you want to pass me then you'll just have to wait until I'm

done
> and move over. You don't like it, rear-end my car. I could use the

money.
> Lead-foot bullies aren't worth my sweat.

That's not what we're talking about at all, what we're talking about is
Bill's admitted practice of being in the right lane, seeing the faster
driver approaching, and pulling out to pass anyway. Although if you
end up in the scenario you describe above a lot, you might want to
check your mirrors a little more often.

nate

Old March 29th 05, 08:05 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"N8N" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>> "N8N" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

> drivers?

> down
>> > or

> adjust

> so
>> >>

>> > Why would you have to go miles out of your way? Just step on the
>> > little skinny pedal on the right when passing. It's really not

> that
>> > hard. And no, not everyone is driving to **** me off, just some
>> > people, like you.

>> I don't drive to **** off anyone. But if I'm passing someone legally

> and
>> during the pass see you roaring up from behind doing 30 mph over the

> speed
>> limit, if you want to pass me then you'll just have to wait until I'm

> done
>> and move over. You don't like it, rear-end my car. I could use the

> money.
>> Lead-foot bullies aren't worth my sweat.

> That's not what we're talking about at all, what we're talking about is
> Bill's admitted practice of being in the right lane, seeing the faster
> driver approaching, and pulling out to pass anyway.

If Bill can complete the pass without impeding the approaching-from-behind
driver's speed and progress, where's the problem?

Although if you
> end up in the scenario you describe above a lot, you might want to
> check your mirrors a little more often.

I don't and I always do, respectively.