Awful gas smell

Old February 8th 05, 08:34 PM
Son of Sam

Default Awful gas smell

OK guys...I figured out what was wrong with my car (93 Cavalier RS),
but I wanted to see if anybody else had this happen to them. It turns
out the terrible smell I've been getting has been gasoline. One of my
fuel injectors is leaking and it's stinking up the car pretty bad. But
what has me confused is that when I start my car in the morning (it's
really cold right now), something starts blowing in through the vents
for a minute or so. Is this just related to the gas that has leaked
out? It stops after a minute though. What would explain this? Just
some gas burning up? It only happens when I cold start it. When the
car is warm it doesn't do it. Any ideas or is this just normal for
this type of problem?

Thanks y'all.

Old February 9th 05, 10:50 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> OK guys...I figured out what was wrong with my car (93 Cavalier RS),
> but I wanted to see if anybody else had this happen to them. It turns
> out the terrible smell I've been getting has been gasoline. One of my
> fuel injectors is leaking and it's stinking up the car pretty bad. But
> what has me confused is that when I start my car in the morning (it's
> really cold right now), something starts blowing in through the vents
> for a minute or so. Is this just related to the gas that has leaked
> out? It stops after a minute though. What would explain this? Just
> some gas burning up? It only happens when I cold start it. When the
> car is warm it doesn't do it. Any ideas or is this just normal for
> this type of problem?

Your kidding right -- your driving around a loaded weapon -- do you have any
idea how many you could kill with that thing!!!!! Get the damn thing fixed --
don't **** around with this -- is cheap to fix -- do the repair yourself -- get
the seals and replace them ALL yourself -- it's fairly simple!!!

--
BBA
°?°

Old February 9th 05, 05:05 PM
Steve W.

He's trying to become a documented Darwin award winner. If he is stupid
enough to keep driving a vehicle with gas spraying around under the hood
he is a VERY deserving candidate.

http://www.darwinawards.com/

--
Steve Williams

Old February 9th 05, 06:21 PM
Son of Sam

Very helpful, thanks. The only time I'm driving it is so that I can go
fix the ****ing thing. There is no "gas spraying around under the
hood"...at least there isn't when I can see under the hood and
accelerate the engine. But, like I said, I "fixed" it and it turned
out that the injector is cracked or something. And yeah...I know who
Darwin is, I can make an educated guess as to what those "awards" are.
Maybe I should just start the car up on your front lawn and throw a
match under the hood?

Steve W. wrote:
> He's trying to become a documented Darwin award winner. If he is

stupid
> enough to keep driving a vehicle with gas spraying around under the

hood
> he is a VERY deserving candidate.
>
> http://www.darwinawards.com/
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>

> "Billy Bad Assr=A9" > wrote in

message

News=3D=3D----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

120,000+ Newsgroups

=3D----

Old February 9th 05, 10:45 PM
Steve W.

Glad you fixed it BUT that gas smell came from GAS, if the injector or
it's feed line was cracked the gas is under pressure, guess how it comes
out? SPRAY.
You were VERY lucky. Oh and unless you get it to a car wash and wash any
of the fuel under there out it is still a BIG fire hazard. Talk to some
Ford owners who had their cars catch fire while driving them because of
bad seals on the injectors. Or the GM vehicles that were recalled for
bad seals on the fuel lines.

As to tossing a match under it, go for it. I'm a fireman and the station
is about 1/10 mile away. Not a problem.

--
Steve Williams

ups.com...

Steve W. wrote:
> He's trying to become a documented Darwin award winner. If he is

stupid
> enough to keep driving a vehicle with gas spraying around under the

hood
> he is a VERY deserving candidate.
>
> http://www.darwinawards.com/
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>

> "Billy Bad Assr)" > wrote in

message

News==----

=----

Old February 10th 05, 02:35 AM
Son of Sam

Judging by the unoffended tone you have, I'm guessing you realized I
was only kidding. The car is good now. Everything is fine with it and
I can't smell gas anymore or anything. So I take it that the gas under
there now isn't gonna just evaporate quickly? As far as the "spray"
thing goes, I never saw it spray at all. When I watched it leak it was
only coming out in small drops. Not that that is any better...

Steve W. wrote:
> [...]

One
> of
> > my

> bad.
> > But

> > (it's

> > vents

> leaked

> > Just

When
> > the

> for
> > >
> > > Your kidding right -- your driving around a loaded weapon -- do

you
> > have any
> > > idea how many you could kill with that thing!!!!! Get the damn

> thing
> > fixed --
> > > don't **** around with this -- is cheap to fix -- do the repair

> > yourself -- get
> > > the seals and replace them ALL yourself -- it's fairly simple!!!

Usenet

News==----

Old February 10th 05, 04:33 AM
Steve W.

Nope, I don't get offended easily anyway.

The problem with the gas is that while the major flammable stuff may
evaporate in a while (if your in a warm climate they will go faster) the
SMELL will stick around for a LONG time unless you wash it out good.
Since you know where it was leaking get a can of Gunk cleaner and spray
it down, then hose it off good. Do this when the engine is warm and it
will work better.

--
Steve Williams

oups.com...