Question about motor swap in a 1987 GTI

Old March 16th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Question about motor swap in a 1987 GTI

Hey how hard would it be to put a 16V motor in a 1987 GTI? Would it entail
more then just swapping out the brain? thanks, ben

Old March 18th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Ben Dixon > wrote:
> Hey how hard would it be to put a 16V motor in a 1987 GTI? Would it entail
> more then just swapping out the brain? thanks, ben

It probably wouldn't be too bad. You should replace both the knock sensor
control unit and the ke-jetronic computer with one from a 16V. You will
need to replace the engine (duh), alternator, distributor, intake and
exhaust manifolds. You'll also need to make sure you have the right
clutch components (I think a straight 16V clutch will work with the 8V
tranny). Water pump is probably the same, starter is definitely the same.
Not sure about A/C compressor. The ISV is the same but its mounting is a
little different. I don't know about the plastic intake tube or some of
the hoses (PCV, evap, etc). Probably you will be fine as long as you get
them from the donor vehicle, but you might not need them. Also,
the Scirocco intake manifold will not work because the intake is on the
wrong side.

This assumes you are going with the PL motor. Honestly though, a 1.8l 8V
with a cam and an exhaust would probably be comparable to a stock 16V, so
its probably only worth it if you are switching to a worked over 2L 16V.
otherwise, it may be worth going with a ABA block, which is a pretty
simple swap (it bolts right up, just have to make sure you are using the
right head gasket, timing belt, etc) and you will need an Audi 80
distributor (or you will need to modify your current one.

The 9A (2L 16V) motor can probably be run off KE-Jetronic injection/ignition.
As far as I know, as long as you are sticking with the KE-Jet
injection/ignition system the 9A motor, distributor, alternator, etc,
should drop in identically to the PL.

Old March 18th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

AFAIK
Clutch disc is different for the 16V or 8V transmissions but the flywheels
and pressure plates will work in either.
I thought the 8V and 16V ISV were different .

Old March 18th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:
> AFAIK
> Clutch disc is different for the 16V or 8V transmissions but the flywheels
> and pressure plates will work in either.
> I thought the 8V and 16V ISV were different .

I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I believe the clutch discs are
different and not interchangable, but the clutch disc is based on what
engine you have, not what transmission. The pressure plate is different,
but interchangable, the 16V unit is stronger.

I'm quite sure both KE-Jetronic ISVs are the same. The hose configuration
on the ISVs may be different because the mounting is completely
different, but the unit itself is interchangable. Incidentily, I was in
a junkyard once and found the same ISV on some Hyundai, I forget which
model/year. It was a mid to late 90s IIRC. I was quite shocked. The
ISV on the 2L 16V (and on Digifant IIRC) is completely different and not
interchangable.
Old March 18th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

"Ben Dixon" > wrote

> Hey how hard would it be to put a 16V motor in a 1987 GTI? Would it
> entail more then just swapping out the brain? thanks, ben

Are you talking about a 1.8 liter 16 valve? You probably mean a later 2.L.

I put an Audi bubble block 2.0 liter 4 in my 88 golf. The engine 'pulls'
lower than a 16 valve 1.8 and I use Digifant II stock on the car with it.
Use same knock sensor too. The motor has run electricmotorish and starts
instantly for years. Though there are (or were) two of these in 2 Audi 80s
in a You Pull It local yard - generally they are hard to find. The Golf has
great low end pull with this vintage motor. More commonly, the later 2.L
blocks are used.

I think if I did a swap again I would do a Diesel swap like doing all the
work of putting in a TDI to a A2 or even A1 at worst a later TD, with the
fuel prices.

Harry

Old March 19th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

No I am pretty sure that the clutch disc has to match the different input
shafts of the transmission! :-)
If you compare the discs you will find that they are basically the same and
only different when mounting on the trans.
Either will fit inbetween the flywheel and pressure plate and work. ;-)
Now that is if we are talking about A2 clutch components! lol

--

later,
dave

"blah" > wrote in message
> dave AKA vwdoc1 > wrote:
>> AFAIK
>> Clutch disc is different for the 16V or 8V transmissions but the
>> flywheels
>> and pressure plates will work in either.

> I'm not absolutely sure about this, but I believe the clutch discs are
> different and not interchangable, but the clutch disc is based on what
> engine you have, not what transmission. The pressure plate is different,
> but interchangable, the 16V unit is stronger.

1987 - 5000 Quattro Turbo Ventilation Question - 329K Paul R. Audi 5 December 22nd 05 12:46 AM
1987 Mustang GT 5.0 w/T-Tops Question Bababooey Ford Mustang 1 November 7th 05 06:30 AM
Ignorant question. Jeepers Jeep 9 January 15th 05 06:42 AM
Where to get Official Speed Limit Info [email protected] Driving 40 January 3rd 05 08:10 AM