Use spare or buy new tires?

Old June 2nd 05, 08:45 PM

Default Use spare or buy new tires?

Wow, I haven't posted on here in ages...
I am coming to the point where I need to buy new tires.. I have the
Procomp MT 33x12.5 and have 40K miles on them... There was a mishap
about 20k miles in where I got my spare tire stolen so I have a brand
new tire on the back of my jeep that has never been used.. now I will
have to buy 4 new tires or I can buy 3 new ones and just use the best
worn tire for my spare... anyone have any thoughts on this?

Also.. What would cause a tire to wear in a way that would wear down
every other lug twice as fast? I checked my alignment and it is within
range.... it is very weird and only happens on the driver side.. I
have every other lug worn to the wear bar but the others have about a
1/4 inch of the Lug left... thoughts?

Thanks a bunch
Kurt
01' TJ 3inch Teraflex

Old June 2nd 05, 10:04 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have been matching my BF Goodrichs for about ten years now
without a problem. You should be able to do the same, unless they stop
making your spare's style.
I would have said toe-out if the passenger side showed the same
wear. You could have a bent axle or bad ball joints, have the alignment
checked. They still make tires by hand, so there may have been a problem
with where the tread sits on the carcass, that didn't get caught in
quality control. Or it's a factory second.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 3rd 05, 04:45 AM
RoyJ

Or ball joints.

Old June 3rd 05, 05:29 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

definately weak shock absorbers and balancing. Also, I know this is a
problem that shows up on mud tires quicker than other tires when ran on the
street. Especially on BFG MUD'S. They have excellent traction, but one
reason is they have different rubber compounds for different lugs. They
have a softer rubber on every other lug, which will cause normal cupping,
but if you have a bad shock or imbalance, it'll really cause you a
headache. I'd replace both front shocks with new, replace your tires
buying 3 and keeping the best old one as a spare, then have an alignment
done. I've always got an alignment done when replacing my tires with new.
Doesn't cost that much, and corrects for any worn suspention parts so I
don't ruin a new set of tires......You could even buy 4 new tires of a
different brand, and keep your spare you have as a spare.....
--
Robb

Old June 5th 05, 04:32 PM

Hey Everyone, thanks so much for the replies. I would have responded
quicker but haven't had a chance. Ok so I decided to just get the 3
new tires... might as well get use out of my spare right!

On the wear topic. I sat down and really looked at it and it is weird
what is happening.. it is actualy squaring the tire.. ie it is putting
flat sides to the tire.. makeing it like an octagon but with more sides
(if i knew how many sides it was making id give the real name!)
So basically i can take a CD case and lay it on top the the wheel and
it is flat, then there is a ridge and then it is flat again... I'd take
a pic but i dont think it would come out in the pic.

Also, what is cupping?

Any thoughts?
Kurt