Damn, I won't be buying GTR afterall

Old February 13th 05, 11:02 PM
Mitch_A

Larry wrote:

> If it doesn't stay within it's own domain (the game), and alters my system
> or adds background tasks, then I'll be skipping over it too.
>
> I purchased HL2 and I am VERY upset with how it works (Steam). I haven't
> played it more than 15 min since I bought it.
>
> I want to sell it, but because of the draconian system that's involved I
> don't even know if that's possible.
>
> -Larry
>
> "Chris Pound" > wrote in message
>> Because they are putting Starforce protection drivers in it. Even the
>> freaking demo has Starforce in it. I didn't buy HL2 because of Steam
>> and I certainly won't buy anymore games with Starforce after buying
>> Toca2. I classify Starforce as a Trojan. Look it up.

Honestly Larry I think your blaming the wrong crowd. Youre aiming at the
"easy" tgt instead of the crooks whose fault this really is. We live in an
era of "lowest common denominator" sadly and its only going to get worse so
Id suggest hanging up the PC now before you give yourself a heart attack

Up till recently the internet has been the wild wild west of our generation.
Do you think its now ok to go around shooting people at a poker table now
as it was in 1880? Well thats how future generations will look back and
see this time period of the internet IMO. I could be wrong but history
sets a pretty good example.

Mitch
--
Remove "nospam." to reply.
SuSE 9.2 Pro KDE 3.3.2a
Old February 14th 05, 04:17 AM
Bruce Kennewell

The wonderful thing about freedom of choice is just that; the freedom to
choose.
Like you, I abhor insidious programs which, whilst protecting copyright,
"invade" my computer in order to do so.
So I won't be buying GTR either....not that such a move will bring the
developer crashing to its knees in a flurry of stock exchange selling
transactions, but I will be disappointed, as I was looking forward to this
sim as a possible "replacement" for GPL.

However, what this just might do is to have me looking elsewhere other than
the local retailer for a copy; now how ironic would *that* be?!!

Bruce

Old February 14th 05, 04:37 AM
B Wegner

I was thinking that myself Bruce and it is ironic.

They spent a ton of money to pay protection developers only to have it cracked within weeks. In the end, the honest consumer gets charged more for this protection to be added and is the one who gets it up the ass. The hackers and pirates end up laughing while the average Joe ends up not being able to even make a backup copy. Now isn't the joke on us, the legitimate consumer.

Wag

Old February 14th 05, 05:13 AM
Darus

Lots of good points here, but I have never bought the "backup copy"
excuse. I have *never* had a CD rendered useless though misuse or loss.
What are you doing with these CD's that has forced you to try and make
a "backup" of it? I mean I take out CD's and toss them onto my desktop
all the time and some of them (GPL for one) don't look factory fresh,
but all of them read perfectly.

I do agree that the Mfg's won't be crawling to our doors trying to sell
software to us due to Steam, Starforce, etc., but neither will they for
the relatively small number of "alternative" purchase locations.

If the latest demo has the protection as reported and the full version
runs as well as the demo, then I have no problem with the software
company at least (in their minds) trying to protect their property.

Old February 14th 05, 05:55 AM
Steve Simpson

> If the latest demo has the protection as reported and the full version
> runs as well as the demo, then I have no problem with the software
> company at least (in their minds) trying to protect their property.

If a relatively insignificant thing like Starforce causes you to miss out on
a piece of sim history then you need to get your priorities right. Some
people pretend to have such high moral fibre and yet they're really just
scared of the unknown and are too lazy to try to understand it.

Old February 14th 05, 09:56 AM
Bruce Kennewell

I'm not using the "'backup copy' excuse".
All I'm saying is that, if the legitimate purchase of GTR includes Starforce
copyright protection then I won't be making a legitimate purchase.
And if I haven't got a legitimate copy, how can I make a backup?

As for Steve's comment about "prior" and "sim history" and "moral fibre"
(odd that you didn't spell it the American way, Steve!)
all that I have to say in response to the first is "game", to the second,
"game" and to the third, "will that help prevent constipation?"

Now, where wuz that warez URL...........

Cheers!
Bruce

"Darus" > wrote in message
oups.com...
..
..... but I have never bought the "backup copy" excuse.

Old February 14th 05, 09:57 AM
Bruce Kennewell

Todd, piracy had stuff-all to do with the demise of the Amiga.

Bruce.

"Todd Walker" > wrote in message

Two reasons: 1. the idiots who ran Commodore; 2. software piracy. Most Amiga
games were'nt copy protected and piracy was rampant
in the Amiga community.

Old February 14th 05, 11:32 AM

It stopped Word Perfect from continuing to support the amiga and
piracy did kill the Atari (my opinion and just to continue the thread)

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:57:49 +1100, "Bruce Kennewell"

Old February 14th 05, 11:50 AM
Remco Moedt

On 13 Feb 2005 20:13:26 -0800, "Darus" > wrote:

>Lots of good points here, but I have never bought the "backup copy"
>excuse. I have *never* had a CD rendered useless though misuse or loss.
>What are you doing with these CD's that has forced you to try and make
>a "backup" of it?

Well....I remember I had to buy Diablo 2 for a second time because of
the play disk getting worn...

Since then I first try an "evalution" copy, and only if that works
I'll buy it.

Cheers!

Remco