Mobile 1 Extended Performance

Old February 10th 05, 08:36 PM
Steve

Frank,

Most have anti-drain back these days, but some valve designs are more
effective than others:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Interestingly, Canadian Tire Motomaster/Formula One filters are all
rebranded Frams. Same is true of Quaker State/Pennzoil. If you're buying
filters at Canadian Tire, get K&N. Elsewhere, try Carquest Premium (aka
NAPA Gold).

Even some Mopar filters are Frams in disguise:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oil...udy-mopar.html

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 10th 05, 08:39 PM
JimG

Did you guys see this link as posted in the other Mobil One thread?
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters.html
Although one man's un-qualified test, it's good info.

JimG

Old February 10th 05, 08:40 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Frank,
The check valve is what you see in the radius holes, like the oil
is pump through the rubber looking flapper valve to the out side of the
filter element to enter to the center part that's screwed on the pipe
connected to the engine's oil galleys. Here's probably different in the
qualities of the bypass valves attached to the other end of the
screw-on, that would be very important in an all out hot rod. I can just
barley recognize those valves in this pictu
http://billhughes.com/mirror/filter-fram2.gif
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 10th 05, 08:42 PM
Steve

Yep, presence of the 'anti-drain back' valve depends on the application.
Many are still produced without the valve. I don't think though that you
can find any non-valve filters listed for the 4.0L.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 10th 05, 08:57 PM
FrankW

Good link, thanks
Frank

Old February 10th 05, 09:28 PM
Steve

Just did some reading and found out that the Canadian Tire Formula 1
synthetic filters are based on the relatively decent Fram ToughGuard as
opposed to the notoriously awful paper/cardboard ExtraGuard. Maybe not a
bad choice after all. The Quaker State & Pennzoil filters are ExtraGuards.

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 10th 05, 09:44 PM
JimG

That Canadian Tire place must be the $hit up there! All you guys from CA
talk about it.

JimG

Old February 10th 05, 10:27 PM
Steve

It's kind of a love/hate relationship. Think Walmart with a Pep Boys inside.

http://www.canadiantire.ca

Steve
http://xjeep.dyndns.org

Old February 10th 05, 11:21 PM
Mike Romain

It is a Canada wide chain open 7 days a week with lifetime tools and
excellent warranties on things like tires, batteries, flats fixes, etc.
They have everything from camping and sports to hardware, welding
equipment and shop tools to automotive.

When I did a frame up rebuild on my CJ7 they got all kinds of parts for
it, ones even Chrysler couldn't come up with like t-case shift fork
seals, carb kits, etc....

Some folks think because they buy parts in bulk so they can sell them
cheaper that the quality is lower. Most times they are the same parts
from the same makers even in the same boxes but 1/4 the price.

Seals for 10 bucks with the same part number in the same bag as the
$tealers $40.00 ones. Same for a gas filter once, $12.00 vs the
$tealers $45.00 on a Volvo I once had. Same bosch box, same part
number....

Even the house brand boxes have name brand parts in them, CT doesn't
make anything...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 10th 05, 11:22 PM