Failed Califoria smog test.

Old January 21st 05, 08:39 PM
Mike Romain

Excellent, thanks!

Yes I went to a $tealer for it. They 'forgot' to do the CCV recall
though...

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

http://alldata.com/TSB/04/890417D4.html

Old January 21st 05, 10:02 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Mike,
Like everyone has already said have it at full operating
temperature, I run it down the freeways at traffic speed (80) for about
twenty minutes and then let it idle to wait my turn to keep the
catalytic convert hot at sixteen hundred degrees:
http://billhughes.com/smog.jpg Of course do the normal maintenance, oil,
filters, and plugs. And I did replace the convert about ten years ago,
as that's it's job to chemically changes pollutants like carbon monoxide
(CO), hydrocarbons (HC), oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) and particulate matter
(PM) into harmless substances like carbon dioxide (CO2), nitrogen (N2),
and water vapor (H2O): http://www.tifac.org.in/do/hgt/case/convert.htm
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 21st 05, 11:58 PM
Kevin in San Diego

It is the O2 sensor. Your cat may now be ruined as well from getting too
rich a mixture put through it. Dont just replace the cat, fix the problem
then fix the cat.
KH

.. .

Old January 22nd 05, 12:01 AM
Kevin in San Diego

One thing no one mentions. Most cars should pass the sniff test without the
cat operating if everything else is functioning correctly.
KH

Old January 22nd 05, 01:21 AM
Mike M

In article >,
says...

Thanks to everyone for the advice..

Old January 23rd 05, 09:13 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Congratulations.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old January 24th 05, 04:24 PM
Lee Ayrton

The "half a tank of premium gas" caught my eye. Disregarding for the
moment the differences in additive formulations between manufacturers,
(the gasoline "slug" in the pipeline is the same if it goes to the
Exxon/Mobil plant or the Shell plant or the BP plant, the only difference
is in what they add to it before it goes out in the tanker truck)
would/should higher octane gas make any positive difference in emissions?

--
"I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with
whips....r"