34 PICT/3 Carb Parts

Old March 9th 05, 08:02 PM
Randall Brink

Default 34 PICT/3 Carb Parts

I had a mishap this morning, whereby my engine backfired through the
carburetor and blew a small disc out of an aft-facing port on the
carburetor. I cannot find the disc. Can these be bought at a normal parts
store? This is a Pierburg carb.

--
Randall Brink
Author

1970 VW Type 1
1973 Mercedes-Benz W115 240D

Old March 9th 05, 08:09 PM
Shag

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:02:02 -0800, "Randall Brink"
> wrote:

>I had a mishap this morning, whereby my engine backfired through the
>carburetor and blew a small disc out of an aft-facing port on the
>carburetor. I cannot find the disc. Can these be bought at a normal parts
>store? This is a Pierburg carb.

I've heard of this happening to a lot of people and it happened to me,
too. Not sure where to get the "correct" part but I've heard of
people just filing down a dime a little and using some JB Weld to
attach it. I was lucky and able to find mine when it popped off. I
used JB Weld to secure it when I put it back on.

---
"There's nothing wrong with a little shooting as long as the right people get shot."
- Inspector Harry Callahan
Old March 9th 05, 08:27 PM
tricky

Hi
Happened to me too.

Found mine in the tinware under the bottom pulley.

It pushed back in without much force, and I would say that anything that
fits the hole will work. As long as it doesnt desolve in petrol !!!

I think also it will be a negative pressure - so unless you backfire
again it will be ok.

Rich

Old March 9th 05, 09:13 PM
Jan Andersson

You need to use a sharp pointed punch to peen the carb body just around
the opening once the disc is back on, to secure it in place. Use a small
hammer to give the punch a sharp little blow. A tiny crater is created
next to the disc in thge carb body, and the edges of the crater "lock"
the disc in place as they expand outwards from the crater center.
Minimum of 3 little dimples recommended.

Jan

Old March 9th 05, 09:28 PM
tricky

Or, a small screwdriver (not your best one ) will do as a punch.
You just need to put a burr on the edge as Jan said.

Rich

Old March 9th 05, 09:47 PM
Randall Brink

Jan--I'll do that. I wish I'd known about it earlier, as I lost the plug
again after I found it and had to resort to a plug off an old 30PICT I have.
Don;t want to loose another one.

Old March 12th 05, 05:07 AM
P.J. Berg

Randall Brink wrote:
> Jan--I'll do that. I wish I'd known about it earlier, as I lost the plug
> again after I found it and had to resort to a plug off an old 30PICT I have.
> Don;t want to loose another one.

I have only heard this happening to members of this group, however the
only function of that little disk is to lock the venturi in place.
You can put it back and peen the material around it or plainly glue it
back in place.

..