Help!! E46 rear suspension mounting failure!

Old March 6th 05, 07:02 PM
Richard Spare

Default Help!! E46 rear suspension mounting failure!

Hi

My 2000 323Ci E46 has developed a squeak whenever i pull away or change
gear. I finally decided to get underneath to see if I could locate the
problem. I located the squeak to what I think is the near side mounting for
the rear anti roll bar (i'm no mechanic so i could be wrong about this). The
mounting looks like it has torn itself from the body.
I'm sure i've read somewhere that this is a common fault on the E46. If so
is there a recall or a standard way of fixing this? I'm sure it will need
welding.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
Richard

Old March 6th 05, 09:17 PM
ENN

Contact your dealer - it can happen on models produced up to feb 2000 and is
normaly covered by BMW

Old March 6th 05, 10:01 PM
Richard Spare

Thanks for that.

k...

Old March 9th 05, 07:57 PM
Thomas Watkins

Richard,

I've had 2 occasions when bmw have carried out "work" on the rear
suspension, i seem to recall anti roll bar being mentioned.. Some sort of
minor clunking noise, they have picked it up when doing other work on the
car. Its a 320Ci Convertible, May 2001.

It's been convered under the warranty, but twice? sounds to me like a common
fault.

Glen.

Old March 9th 05, 11:30 PM
Richard Spare

I just left the car at the dealership. It looks like they will be asking BMW
for authorisation for remedials to be carried out. The subframe mounting has
torn away from the body!!!

Old May 2nd 05, 08:51 AM
silvy123

has anyone had a problem with the e46 rear subframe mount(diff
carrier)
ripping from boot floor my car is a saloon 328 that has quite high
miles(132000)on a 1998 reg i noticed a clunk/squeak coming from the
rear when i inspected the car the pasenger rear mount has ripped
partly from the floor i did not by the car from a main dealer and
have only part main dealer service history. i have been told this i a
common fault with e36/e46
cars and bmw should fix it. is this true?

Old May 2nd 05, 06:59 PM
GT

Common problem.
Look at this forum:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=157603

Hope this helps.

--
G. Tarantino - Switzerland
1997 BMW 535 (149,000 miles)

Old May 7th 05, 05:53 PM
ena

"silvy123" > skrev i en
meddelelse ...
> has anyone had a problem with the e46 rear subframe mount(diff
> carrier)
> ripping from boot floor my car is a saloon 328 that has quite high
> miles(132000)on a 1998 reg i noticed a clunk/squeak coming from the
> rear when i inspected the car the pasenger rear mount has ripped
> partly from the floor i did not by the car from a main dealer and
> have only part main dealer service history. i have been told this i a
> common fault with e36/e46
> cars and bmw should fix it. is this true?

The problem is known on E46 produced before 02-2000 and BMW repair them for
free.
Wery few cars are affected by the problem and from 02-2000 the problem is
solved.