2004 JGC to Silver Lake Dunes

Old July 7th 05, 05:29 PM

2004 year, sorry.

Old July 8th 05, 05:28 AM
Tirya

"Matt Macchiarolo" > wrote in message
> That's Test Hill, on the left as you come out of the entrance road. Gets
> to be about a 45-50 degree angle at the top. Most novices (I suspect those
> are the local tour rentals) don't make it the first time. You have to
> leave it in 2nd gear/high to get enough momentum to clear the top.

Yup. Regarding turning and coming back down frontwards if you lose
momentum, I think you'd get booted out of the park (if you didn't roll it
first), as all of the dunes are strictly one-way traffic... I may be
misremembering, though.

I'd also guess that those are also the local tour rentals - they all have
their tops on.

I learned the hard way that it's possible to get body damage on the dunes.
I was taking a run at Test Hill, saw a piece of driftwood in my path at the
base of the hill, figured that rather than find a different line, I'd just
straddle it, no problem. I hit the bottom of the hill, the nose went up,
the tail went down, the gas tank skid went BANG onto the driftwood, bashed
it upwards about 2 inches in the middle, and I suddenly lost a couple of
gallons-worth of capacity. My gas gauge was screwed up until I got a new
skid plate that let the tank pop back out into shape. Oops...

Made it up and over the hill, though...

Tirya
'99 TJ Sahara
TDC Inca Jeeper
A girl and her Jeep... it's a beautiful thing...

Old July 8th 05, 06:12 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

We turn around nearly one hundred percent of the time, just use
common sense before we commit ourselves to the turn, being careful not
to cut someone off: http://www.billhughes.com/tascher/comphill.htm
http://www.billhughes.com/temp/glamis.mpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 8th 05, 10:58 PM
Matt Macchiarolo

Oops, yeah, I forgot about that, but I think if you are coming down because
you didn't make it up you should be OK. It's one-way on those hills so no
idiotic ATV drivers decided to catch air into oncoming traffic.

Old July 18th 05, 03:21 PM

OUCH. Took the Jeep through a tiny puddle this past week. Almost made
it through, but the engine stalled. Found out it was the deepest water
hole there. Water poured in from the front of the passenger side, but
not the driver side.

Got pulled out and took out the soaked Air Filter. After sitting for a
few minutes, we jump started it and it ran fine. Engine light was on
for the next day or so, then went out. Stuck a fan in and dried out
the floor.

Anything else I should be concerned about? (and quit you laughing!!)

Old July 18th 05, 04:03 PM
Earle Horton

Water isn't good for axles. If the fluid is milky, change it. Ditto for
the transmission. The seals used are designed to keep oil in, not water
out.

Earle

oups.com...

Old July 18th 05, 08:22 PM