Buying a 98 C5

Old July 16th 05, 07:18 PM
Z’RiX

>The fact this is your brother-in-law puts it in a whole new light.

>Would he screw you over or is he the type to screw others over?

No

>Is he not too bright when it comes to cars and is he the type that cars are

just transportation?

He knows cars but it is costing him alot to keep this and a new truck that
he is upside down on he still owes the 12 grand on the car because he was on
disablity for 3 years and they only made 70% of the payments and I offered
to take the car for what he owes and he accepted so off I go to AZ next
saturday to pick it up

>You can answer most of your own questions on this one, but if my BIL was

selling me a Corvette so much lower than market, I'd grab it and run!

"Z’RiX" > wrote in message
> I want to thank you all for your response I did check on car fax and the

car
> had a accident when it was only about 6 months old it was the front fender
> and that was the only damage the cost was $1000.00 for repair and i asked
> the sell (My brother inlaw) he sent me the repair sheet. The fender was
> replaced by the dealer and painted all other thing are great in the
> CARFAX...
>
> You see my brother inlaw leased this new then after the time was up he
> financed then refied and just has to many other bills to deal with to the
> reason for the $12000.00 price tag is he is just letting me take it for

what
> he owes...
> Better then to just give it back and destrow his credit so it is helping
> both of us out he gets out from under a bill and I get my first vette and

> nice 1 at that I have always liked the C5 but did not know them by that

term
> only by years 97,98,99 and so on
>

> Thanx
> --
>
> Z’RiX (<>..<>)
>

> "Dad" > wrote in message
> You guys need to get into this century, compression checks went out years
> ago because of the way they are built today. Never heard of a coolant leak
> on a manifold of a C5, does coolant go through the manifold on a C5? Do

they
> have reusable seals unlike the cast iron small block? Have the frame
> checked? Doesn't carfax tell all about the car and its accidents if any?
> Rust in a 9 year old Corvette?
>
> I do agree with Charlie, the C5 is going up instead of down with the

release
> of the C6. Although I have heard of problems they have been few and far
> between with the C6. The reason for the price hike on the C5 is that most
> people still see the C6 as a not so hot change over the C5. Plus they all
> think their dick will get longer if they can get one of those Z06s. Other
> than the stupid sixth gear debacle the car is a sleeper and will remain

that
> way as long as all of those nice C5s are available. Its performance is
> scary, and it is put to the ground so well you don't realize just how far
> you are over your limits. If I told you how fast it is you wouldn't

believe
> me, and I'd bet my last dollar none of you would take a ride with me to
> prove it. One thing I will pass on to you is that in second and third gear
> you can lay black marks right up to maximum rpms. I'm not saying smoke the
> tires, I'm saying that the power is put to the road so uniform that it

will
> just run on the edge of breaking loose and lay a nice pair of tire marks

in

Old July 16th 05, 10:30 PM
Jon

Z’RiX wrote:

> I am looking at buying my first vette it is a 1998 c5 coupe with 100,057
> miles on it.
> No wrecks and has been serviced on time from day 1 but it has a scratch
> across the hood from a key and the air conditioner compressure is bad other
> than that the car is great the price I am getting it for is $12,000.00 to me
> this sounds like a good deal some body give me your thoughts...

That is really cheap- The NADA value for a '98 with 100,000 miles is
$17,350 average trade-in and $20,400 average retail assuming it has the
glass top.

Old July 16th 05, 11:13 PM
Z’RiX

Thanx I picked up the mag and am going to check it out...

--

Z’RiX (<>..<>)

"Bob G." > wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 07:58:31 -0700, "Z’RiX" > wrote:

>I am looking at buying my first vette it is a 1998 c5 coupe with 100,057
>miles on it.
>No wrecks and has been serviced on time from day 1 but it has a scratch
>across the hood from a key and the air conditioner compressure is bad other
>than that the car is great the price I am getting it for is $12,000.00 to
>me
>this sounds like a good deal some body give me your thoughts...
>
>Thank you
>
>From,
>Looking at being a first time vette owner

===================
I am NOT AT ALL put off by the 100000 miles on the car...but it does
indicate the car was most likely a daily driver for the original
owner... Good because you knoiw the car has been "fairly" reliable
since it has started up so much... lol...

Vette Magazine the current issue (SEPT 2005 ??? fast cars deserve
magazine that are equally fast since it is only July) Has a article
dealing with the Market value of Strickly C5's

They l;ist 1998 Coupes as below
CRUMMY 15,600
DECENT 16,800
GREAT 19,400
FABULOUS 22,700

So you make the choice...$12,000 is the absolute lowest price I have
heard for ANY used C5 that was not a wreck...

The Magazine came to the house last week and I actually wrote a letter
to the editor since I am in the market for a used C5 myself...and
NOTHING around this area or fro that matter and on the net .is priced
less then 5,000 ABOVE their figures ..for a Fabulous car no less..

I do know that to strip and repaint the hood of a C4 costs a little
under $500. have no idea of what the A/C repair might run you...

Lots of luck...
Bob G.
64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes.... looking for a used C5...not a coupe!

Old July 18th 05, 03:16 PM
Charlie Funk

the sell (My brother inlaw)

Run. Run like the wind. Surely you will destroy all family relationships
and ruin your marriage if you buy this car. Let someone else be the pawn in
this scheme. Now, what's his phone number and where's he live. )

Charlie

Old July 26th 05, 01:30 AM
Z’RiX

Thanx to all
I got the vette it is a little more rough that I thought it needs a little
TLC and I will be asking alot of questions in this group but it runs great
and all of the mechanical things have been serviced by a chevy dealer since
day 1 but the seats are torn and have seat covers on them and the carpet is
bad but the dash is great no cracks the body is straight I did find out the
left front fender was replaced 3 months after it was bought (NEW) the only
damage was the fender no other components the air compresure is bad (going
to suck driving home from AZ) but now the good things now I am a vette owner
and it is fun to drive and it handles very nice BUT I learned that the ass
end will go out from under it reall quick on a freeway on ramp that curves
when you nail it and it kicks down to first hehehe I would like to thank you
for all of your feed back...

Thanx

--

advice on car buying G Technology 9 April 14th 05 07:06 PM
Buying Used 95 Saturn-Advise! Semi Head Saturn 5 March 23rd 05 09:17 PM
Taking The Haggling Out Of Buying That New '05 Auto Azam Chrysler 0 January 15th 05 07:15 AM
Buying an Audi A4 need Advise Buying a Used Audi Audi 12 November 14th 04 03:40 PM
buying a Saturn-like buying a lottery ticket misterfact Saturn 3 July 2nd 04 10:02 PM