cherokee auto, towing and transmission coolers

Old March 8th 05, 02:07 PM
Danny

Default cherokee auto, towing and transmission coolers

Firstly, hello. It looks like I'll be picking up a new (to me) '97
Cherokee (facelift model) 4.0l 60th anniversary with 52k miles and an
auto box tomorrow

I currently drive a 1984 landrover 110CSW V8 which has to tow a 1800kg
mobile espresso bar round sunny southern England. This was a 4 speed
manual and I'm wondering whether the Jeep will have a transmission
cooler as standard or can one be added if it hasn't got one.

I'm nervous about towing a largish trailer with an auto box (I think I
did my last auto box in (Saab 9000) towing the trailer). I only do 6
miles each way each day.

Any help gratefully received...

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old March 8th 05, 02:34 PM
DHead

Danny
Firstly, congrats on your choice of vehicles.
Secondly, if your new (to you) Cherokee came with a factory tow package,
it'll have a trans cooler.
Thirdly, hope this helps.

Finally, Bye.
Gary

Old March 8th 05, 03:21 PM
Danny

DHead wrote:
> Danny
> Firstly, congrats on your choice of vehicles.
> Secondly, if your new (to you) Cherokee came with a factory tow package,
> it'll have a trans cooler.
> Thirdly, hope this helps.

Thanks,

No tow package, or tow bar at all at present.

Old March 8th 05, 03:22 PM
RoyJ

A someone else says, if it had the towing package stock, it will have
the cooler. If it doesn't have a cooler, an aftermarket one runs US$30
to US$70. These are generic items, they hook up with rubber hoses and
hose clamps so I'd expect them to be available over the counter locally.

The tow rating on the auto equiped vehicles is much larger than the
rating on the manuals. It has to do with the stall speed on the torque
converter being high enough (about 1800?? on yours) to allow easy starts
from stop or on hill.

If you are only doing 6 miles, I doubt if it will be a big issue either
way. The tranny won't get hot enough to make much difference.

1800kg is almost 4000 pounds, a decent handfull of trailer to tow. For
any used vehicle for heavy service like this I'd have a look at tires,
shocks, brake pads, brake rotors, belts, tranny fluid (do a trany
service and flush), cooling system (flush, drain, refill with new
coolant), etc.

Nake sure you are using a class III reciver hitch with the 2" reciever
hole. The Cherokee is unibody construction, you need to have a hitch
with the proper mounts and bracing.

Old March 8th 05, 04:00 PM
Danny

RoyJ wrote:
> A someone else says, if it had the towing package stock, it will have
> the cooler. If it doesn't have a cooler, an aftermarket one runs US$30
> to US$70. These are generic items, they hook up with rubber hoses and
> hose clamps so I'd expect them to be available over the counter locally.
>
> The tow rating on the auto equiped vehicles is much larger than the
> rating on the manuals. It has to do with the stall speed on the torque
> converter being high enough (about 1800?? on yours) to allow easy starts
> from stop or on hill.
>
> If you are only doing 6 miles, I doubt if it will be a big issue either
> way. The tranny won't get hot enough to make much difference.
>
> 1800kg is almost 4000 pounds, a decent handfull of trailer to tow. For
> any used vehicle for heavy service like this I'd have a look at tires,
> shocks, brake pads, brake rotors, belts, tranny fluid (do a trany
> service and flush), cooling system (flush, drain, refill with new
> coolant), etc.
>
> Nake sure you are using a class III reciver hitch with the 2" reciever
> hole. The Cherokee is unibody construction, you need to have a hitch
> with the proper mounts and bracing.

In the UK we don't have "receiver hitches" - they're illegal here. We
have a towball mounted on a bar that attaches each side of the rear of
the vehicle.

On a seperate note, a Jeep spares dealer over here tells me that all
Cherokees have a transmission cooler as standard, will have to look
when I get the vehicle...

Old March 8th 05, 06:56 PM
k_902

Old March 8th 05, 06:57 PM
k_902

I also have a qestion about towing with my jeep. I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee
Laredo with the 4.0. It didn't come with the tow package, however I was
looking at a Class III hitch for towing my Boat in the summer. I was
wondering if anybody knew the tow rating for my Jeep. I've read on a few
sites that it can handle up to 5000 pounds. Any help would be great.

k_902

Old March 8th 05, 07:17 PM
Will Honea

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:00:14 UTC Danny
> wrote:

> RoyJ wrote:
> > A someone else says, if it had the towing package stock, it will have
> > the cooler. If it doesn't have a cooler, an aftermarket one runs US$30
> > to US$70. These are generic items, they hook up with rubber hoses and
> > hose clamps so I'd expect them to be available over the counter locally.
> >
> > The tow rating on the auto equiped vehicles is much larger than the
> > rating on the manuals. It has to do with the stall speed on the torque
> > converter being high enough (about 1800?? on yours) to allow easy starts
> > from stop or on hill.
> >
> > If you are only doing 6 miles, I doubt if it will be a big issue either
> > way. The tranny won't get hot enough to make much difference.
> >
> > 1800kg is almost 4000 pounds, a decent handfull of trailer to tow. For
> > any used vehicle for heavy service like this I'd have a look at tires,
> > shocks, brake pads, brake rotors, belts, tranny fluid (do a trany
> > service and flush), cooling system (flush, drain, refill with new
> > coolant), etc.
> >
> > Nake sure you are using a class III reciver hitch with the 2" reciever
> > hole. The Cherokee is unibody construction, you need to have a hitch
> > with the proper mounts and bracing.
> >

> In the UK we don't have "receiver hitches" - they're illegal here. We
> have a towball mounted on a bar that attaches each side of the rear of
> the vehicle.
>
> On a seperate note, a Jeep spares dealer over here tells me that all
> Cherokees have a transmission cooler as standard, will have to look
> when I get the vehicle...

The mount issue with the tow setup is the same regardless of the ball
attachment - the rig has to attach to the subframe so that it spreads
the load. The channels are not as heavy as a ladder frame so one or
two bolts too close together will pull through.

As for the 'standard' cooler - virtually all automatics have a cooler
in the radiator - you'll see the hoses to one of the end caps. Unless
that 6 miles is a 6-10% grade, that should do you.

--
Will Honea
Old March 8th 05, 07:21 PM
Mike Romain

The owners manual for my Canadian 88 says 5000 if auto with a cooler and
2000 lb if 5 speed.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 9th 05, 10:04 AM
Danny

Will Honea wrote:

> The mount issue with the tow setup is the same regardless of the ball
> attachment - the rig has to attach to the subframe so that it spreads
> the load. The channels are not as heavy as a ladder frame so one or
> two bolts too close together will pull through.
>
> As for the 'standard' cooler - virtually all automatics have a cooler
> in the radiator - you'll see the hoses to one of the end caps. Unless
> that 6 miles is a 6-10% grade, that should do you.

Thanks. My drive to work is mostly motorway with a reasonably long
uphill sliproad, at the top of which I need to be doing 50. I would
prefer to ensure the transmission couldn't overheat, so given that
there is a cooler as standard, is there a heavy duty cooler available
as well?