DIRT a little too expensive for me ;P

Old September 20th 08, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lou

Default DIRT a little too expensive for me ;P

http://astore.amazon.com/race2play-2...903369-7106055
What's up with that!
Maybe a few more years and the price will drop a bit more reasonable. : D

Old September 20th 08, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Byron Forbes

They need the revenue to cover the F1 licence.

Old September 20th 08, 09:15 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
jeffareid

> http://astore.amazon.com/race2play-2...903369-7106055
> What's up with that!

I think's it's a conspiracy by iRacing to make iRacing seem relatively cheap.

Old September 20th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
rqk

Lou wrote:
> http://astore.amazon.com/race2play-2...903369-7106055
> What's up with that!
> Maybe a few more years and the price will drop a bit more reasonable. : D

So does this fall into the sim or video game category?
Old September 20th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lou

"rqk" > wrote in message
. ..
> Lou wrote:
>> http://astore.amazon.com/race2play-2...903369-7106055
>> What's up with that!
>> Maybe a few more years and the price will drop a bit more reasonable. : D

Looks like they corrected the price now at $14.99. Before it said $19,379.

> So does this fall into the sim or video game category?

You mean arcade type driving game? Have not tried it.

Old September 23rd 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

definitely VIDEO GAME category,
. ..

Old September 24th 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

>> So does this fall into the sim or video game category?

I just got a copy today. It is rather sim-like. There are many
adjustments for car setup and the damage model is very good. I haven't tried
multiplayer. For 14.95 I figured what the hell. You get to keep it forever
for the cost of one month iracing subscription. I liken it to a cross
between Richard Burns Rally and Dirt Track Racing.

Old September 24th 08, 01:35 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
hoover

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 09:19:10 -0500, PlowBoy, wrote:
> definitely VIDEO GAME category,
> "rqk" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Lou wrote:
>>> http://astore.amazon.com/race2play-2...903369-7106055
>>> What's up with that!
>>> Maybe a few more years and the price will drop a bit more reasonable. : D
>>>

>> So does this fall into the sim or video game category?

Without having tried it myself, given the history of the series I'd
put this into the video game category.

Old September 24th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
PlowBoy,

Lancelot,

the definition of whether it is a sim or not is not the eye candy, not
the supposed ability to change "suspension settings" and denting of
fenders... if that were the case then Monster Truck Madness was a SIM, but
really, sorry it wasn't. Sim would mean realistic tire slippage
calculations (grip), geometry of suspension (and how it affects grip etc...)
and handling. if you have driven need for speed past version 5, you would
notice that the corvette and the Porsche turbo handle identically except
like top end speeds, that is not realistic nor 'sim'ulated anything. You
may not have driven either car in real life, but I assure you the skillset
that it takes to move either car quickly around any course, are a different
as night and day... that is why we would classify it as a Arcade Racer,
sure it may well be fun as hell, and all (even I like games once in a while)
but it isn't a sim per this context, this newsgroup.

the
. ..

Old September 24th 08, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Lancelot

Plowboy,

You got me there. I should have prefaced "sim-like" with a just
plain no and saved myself some time (and you as well). Until I smell the sea
breeze at Monaco,
http://yachts.monacoeye.com/pages/ka...f_love_001.php
taste the dust from Pikes Peak,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00-Bh...&contentid=249
Feel the vibration of 12 prancing cylinders throughout my body,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_312 See the Marlboro girls at
Hungaroring, http://www.hungaroinfo.com/formel1/photossub_49_en.htm or
hear the cheers from adoring fans,
http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/160536/891168