1996 SL2 Doesn't Start....Sometimes

Old January 18th 08, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
sweat

Default 1996 SL2 Doesn't Start....Sometimes

I have 96 SL2 with a standard transmission. On Monday and Tuesday, the
car would not start. I turned the ignition, heard a low buzz and
nothing happened. Not even clicking sound from the starter, let alone
the engine cranking.

The battery power works fine; I could turn on the lights and listen to
the radio. Connectors on the battery are in good shape.

The tow truck driver was able to get the car to do a rolling start. I
had it the dealer for two days and the car continuously started. From
what they could tell, the start, alternator and battery all work fine.
They gave me the car back today, completely puzzled and unsure what to
do.

I've had two previous starting problems over the past few months. Both
times, the engine would turn over. These occurred when I started the
car, drove it to a store. Went in, restarted the car, drove it to
another nearby store. Went, tried to restart the car and nothing
happened. In both previous instances, the car started after about
10-15 minutes.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?
Old January 18th 08, 06:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_52_]

"sweat" > wrote in message
>I have 96 SL2 with a standard transmission. On Monday and Tuesday, the
> car would not start. I turned the ignition, heard a low buzz and
> nothing happened. Not even clicking sound from the starter, let alone
> the engine cranking.
>
> The battery power works fine; I could turn on the lights and listen to
> the radio. Connectors on the battery are in good shape.
>
> The tow truck driver was able to get the car to do a rolling start. I
> had it the dealer for two days and the car continuously started. From
> what they could tell, the start, alternator and battery all work fine.
> They gave me the car back today, completely puzzled and unsure what to
> do.
>
> I've had two previous starting problems over the past few months. Both
> times, the engine would turn over. These occurred when I started the
> car, drove it to a store. Went in, restarted the car, drove it to
> another nearby store. Went, tried to restart the car and nothing
> happened. In both previous instances, the car started after about
> 10-15 minutes.
>
> Any ideas as to what could be happening?

My '96 SL2 with automatic had exactly the same problem. The solution was to
replace the starter. I was told the problem could also be with the ignition
switch but that didn't apply in my case.

Old January 19th 08, 04:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
sweat

On Jan 18, 12:38 pm, "Steve" > wrote:
> "sweat" > wrote in message

> My '96 SL2 with automatic had exactly the same problem. The solution was to
> replace the starter. I was told the problem could also be with the ignition
> switch but that didn't apply in my case.

Did you wait for the starter to completely go or just went ahead and
replaced it?
Old January 19th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Steve[_52_]

"sweat" > wrote in message
> On Jan 18, 12:38 pm, "Steve" > wrote:
>> "sweat" > wrote in message

>> My '96 SL2 with automatic had exactly the same problem. The solution was
>> replace the starter. I was told the problem could also be with the
>> ignition
>> switch but that didn't apply in my case.

> Did you wait for the starter to completely go or just went ahead and
> replaced it?

We went ahead and replaced it. I hate being stranded away from home.

1996 Plymouth Voyager Won't Start Christian M. Mericle Chrysler 13 January 15th 06 11:17 PM
1996 Jetta- will not start Ed VW water cooled 9 December 22nd 05 01:51 AM
1996 f350 won't start captun 4x4 2 September 21st 05 04:36 AM
1996 Saturn SL won't start wedgeindy Saturn 6 September 2nd 05 03:56 PM
1996 stratus won't start Richard B via CarKB.com Dodge 1 June 8th 05 01:00 PM