Oil Leak after Timing Belt Change

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 19th 04, 04:24 AM
Jonathan Goodish

Default Oil Leak after Timing Belt Change

I had my A4 1.8T timing belt changed by an independent garage, along
with water pump, accessory belts, etc. about 5000 miles ago. Almost
immediately afterward, I noticed what appeared to be a an oil spray all
over the front of the engine compartment. The spray and associated
smell disappeared after a couple hundred miles, and engine fluids looked
okay, so I didn't worry about it.

However, oil is still leaking from somewhere in the engine compartment
sufficiently enough to drip from just about every surface on the
underside of the engine, onto the belly pan, and from there onto the
garage floor. I changed the engine oil a couple days ago, and wiped up
the underside of the engine pretty well, cleaned the belly pan, and
after a couple hundred miles the oil is again leaking sufficiently to
coat the underside of the engine and drip from the belly pan onto the
garage floor. This leak was not present prior to the timing belt change
or, if it was, it certainly wasn't severe enough to be this noticeable.

The oil appears to be motor oil, though I haven't noticed a drop in the
crankcase oil level. I am perplexed as to the source, and wonder if it
could have been caused or aggravated by the shop in the course of
changing the timing belt. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
JKG

2001 change timing belt or not? Buying a Used Audi Audi 16 December 27th 04 05:02 PM
A4 1.8T Timing Belt [email protected] Audi 2 October 15th 04 05:48 PM
Timing belt change - 1996 Audi A6 (2.6 litre V6) - what's involved? John Prendergast Audi 4 September 9th 04 04:23 PM
Timing belt on 1996 2.8 Wayne Mak Audi 6 September 6th 04 02:38 PM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM