FM springs

Old July 28th 10, 04:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

Default FM springs

I just returned from my first spin in the boonies since having FM
springs and bumpstops put on my Koni Sports.

Jeez, why did I wait so long to do this?!

So far, I can't find any downside, just less motion over the road, a
calmer ride, more control, and NO bottoming. On advice of other Koni
users at miata.net, I left the shocks adjusted 1/4 turn from full soft,
and they're fine. The Miata should have come this way from the factory.

On the drive, one of the roads was several miles of corners marked with
15- and 20-mph yellow signs, most with poor sightlines. Instead of the
usual 7/10 commitment at 40 mph, tonight felt like 5/10 at 45 mph.
Oddly, the car doesn't feel racy or particularly fast. It just gets the
job done with minimum drama. SWMBO declared it "very nice."

The FM springs' balance is very close to stock, but the rates are
roughly double. I left the FM swaybars set as before (soft front, middle
rear). It was time for a new alignment; I decided to go back to 0.5"
camber bias, since the RE-11s are so stable I could use a livelier
balance.

Camber: -1.25F, -1.75R
Toe: 1/32" in per wheel
Caster: 5.0°

Oh, that. Yes, the car is a bit lower, about 12.5" all around. It wasn't
a motivation for me, but I'll live with it.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old July 28th 10, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message and bumpstops put
on my Koni Sports.

> Jeez, why did I wait so long to do this?!
>

> Oh, that. Yes, the car is a bit lower, about 12.5" all around. It wasn't
> a motivation for me, but I'll live with it.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Lanny, you went from stock springs, right? Sounds like you've got a good set
up now. Do you think this would be a good option for me? My car sits taller
than stock (I believe) and I think it's because of the MAzdaspeed shock /
spring set up and the fact that my car weighs (I've been told) somewhere
around 300lbs less than the MSM but, I'm not sure that is correct. Also, the
ride is a bit too rough for the spousal unit ;-)

What do you think?

Oh, did you misplace the decimal on the height issue (1.25" drop?)

Later,
Chris
99BBB

Old July 28th 10, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Do you think this would be a good option for me? My car sits taller
> than stock (I believe) and I think it's because of the MAzdaspeed shock /
> spring set up

Aren't the MazdaSpeed shocks just repainted AGX? Those reportedly aren't
sufficient for the FM springs, so you'd need new shocks as well. Might
as well get the 1.0 package from FM: Illuminas, springs, bumpstops.

With double the spring rate, the cowl shake is a little noisier over
small stuff, but the absence of bottoming more than compensates, and the
actual ride comfort is considerably better. You don't realize how hard
and how often you're hitting the bumpstops until it goes away.

> Oh, did you misplace the decimal on the height issue (1.25" drop?)

The ride height (hub to lip) is 12.5". Since OEM springs are all over
the place depending on year and age, drop isn't a useful concept.

--
Lanny Chambers
St. Louis, MO
Old July 30th 10, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Lanny Chambers" > wrote in message >

Since OEM springs are all over
> the place depending on year and age, drop isn't a useful concept.
>
> --
> Lanny Chambers
> St. Louis, MO
> '94C

Pretend I'm stupid (don't say it!) and explain this comment please.
For one, I'm not sure how well the MS shocks would work with OEM springs
(you think fine?) and secondly, lower center of gravity is quite a useful
concept. Especially since I believe you mentioned NOT bottoming out and such
and, decent ride.

I'm considering going back to the KYB AGX with the 4 way adj and the OEM
springs which, seemed to me, to match pretty well with each other. My set
(bought used) just went to sh_t.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 2nd 10, 03:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message My set
> (bought used) just went to sh_t.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB

KYB AGX went to sh_t, id what I was referring to.

Chris
99BBB