1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement

Old November 17th 05, 10:10 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge

Default 1996 Caravan - 3.0L Timing belt replacement

In article
<703832_c5b1a320c030ff4530cec879e2724be4@autoforum z.com>,
mikelb5 > wrote:

> I was recently driving our 1996 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0L engine and
> when I was turning a corner the van died and stopped running. Earlier
> that day my wife had told me she smelled something funny but I didn’t
> have time that morning to check it. Once I diagnosed that is was a
> bad timing belt I found out that the smell was the timing belt
> rubbing/burning through the belt covers.
>
> So after I replaced the timing belt and got everything back together,
> I started the van only to hear a repetitive "tick-tick" sound from
> the engine, lifters, valve train, or something of that nature,
> accompanied by white smoke at the exhaust. But wait, thats not all.
> There is also, what sounds like a growling sound, almost like
> something is loose somewhere (it’s really undescribable). And once
> the engine warms up, I can hear and feel a "tick-tick" at the duty
> cycle purge control valve of the EVAP system. The duty cycle purge
> control valve is turned on by the PCM only when the vehicle has warmed
> up. It has something to do with controlling/recycling the fuel vapors
> through the system.

Did you replace the water pump and timing belt tensioner?
It's rare that a shredded T-belt -doesn't- tear up the other
rotating components.

> When I replaced the timing belt, it was shredded, so I had to match my
> timing marks up manually. I know that for every one revolution of the
> camshaft sprockets, there are two corresponding revolutions of the
> crankshaft sprocket.

Lining up the timing marks is the only way I've ever done them.
Don't know what else you were expecting.
The 3.0 does NOT time off of #1 cylinder if in case you went
according to distributor position.
Even a bad service manual should have shown the correct timing
marks.

> What if a person were to have the crankshaft sprocket 360 degrees off,
> to where the camshaft was at 180 degrees when it should be at 360
> degrees?

Nothing

> Or what if one camshaft sprocket is off, etc?

How many bubbles are in a bar of soap?

> 1) Would the van even start if this is the case?
> 2) Is my engine not burning the fuel correctly, if so, could this
> explain the duty cycle purge control valve making the ticking sound?

The purge solenoids do make noise, it is completely normal.
You're just first noticing because you're grasping for an answer.

> 3) Have I bent a valve, is my timing off, etc?

The 3.0 is not a valve bender.
Only you can see if the valve timing is off.
Line up the marks on the sprockets.

> I’m about to pull it back apart, so any help would be much
> appreciated.

New water pump, new tensioner and make absolutely certain she
didn't overheat the thing and blow a head gasket.