Chrysler 300 vs. Dodge Magnum?

Old February 4th 05, 03:38 PM
Steve

Tom Betz wrote:

> Quoth Steve > in news:G9KdnchAJNoT-mvcRVn-
> :
>

>> we occasionally
>>get an Opel hauled over here, face-lifted and marketed
>>unsuccessfully as a Cadillac (ie, the Catera).

> ... or marketed fairly successfully as a Saturn.

I didn't think ANYTHING about Saturn was going "successfully" right now.
The Vue has been a disaster, the Ion has been a disaster. Sounds like
the whole thing is about to implode, possibly with most of the rest of
GM :-(

Old February 5th 05, 02:32 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Is there a website that shows US sales figures?

As everybody may know, Opel/Vauxhall has cars in the Top 10 in Germany and
the UK.

For Germany I have this website, givng numbers by registration:

http://www.kfz-auskunft.de/kfz/zulassungen.html

For the whole of 2004:

No. 1 = VW Golf
No. 2 = Opel Astra
No. 15 = Opel Corsa
No. 16 = Opel Meriva

In UK statistics are not quite so readily available:
http://www.smmt.co.uk/home.cfm?CFID=...TOKEN=82740000

In Jan 05

No. 1 = Ford Focus
No. 2 = Vauxhall Astra
No. 5 = Vauxhall Corsa
No. 8 = Vauxhall Zafira
(No. 9 = VW Golf)

DAS

---

"Tom Betz" > wrote in message
. 70...
[...]
> The L-series, though (based on the same Opel platform as the Catera),
> is pretty nice, though the most recent redesign made it less so. It
> has certainly been more successful than the Catera.
>
> GM is in the process of repositioning Saturn into the market hole
> left by Oldsmobile, largely by improving fit and finish. It will be
> interesting to see how well it works out.

[...]

Old February 5th 05, 03:56 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

PS. Found the stats for calendar 04 for the UK on the SMMT website
previously mentionend:-

1 - Ford Focus
2 - Vauxhall Corsa
3 - Ford Fiesta
6 - Vauxhall Astra
8 - VW Golf
9 - Ford Mondeo

Note dominance of GM & Ford.

In fact, Ford has topped the list in every year since 1972:

Cortina: 1967, 1972 - 81
Escort: 82 - 89, 92 - 95
Fiesta: 90 - 91, 96 - 98 (Has no predecessor.)
Focus: 99 - 2004 (Focus is the successor of the Escort.)

Just BTW:
Diesel volumes jumped by 130,697 units in 2004 to a record 835,334 units.
This was above forecast and equal to a record 32.5 per cent market share.

The Focus was the best selling diesel model in 2004, followed by the Mondeo
and Golf.

DAS

---

Old February 5th 05, 04:14 PM
Percival P. Cassidy

Diesel fuel always used to be cheaper than gasoline in UK (lower tax?).
Is that still true? In the US it seems to be more expensive.

Perce

On 02/05/05 10:56 am Dori A Schmetterling tossed the following
ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

<snip>

Old February 5th 05, 11:20 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Price difference petrol/diesel has been minimal for years. In fact, on
occasion diesel is now dearer. Fuel price difference has not been a factor
for, dare I say it, at least 15 years. Britain was quite anti-diesel until
recently for other reasons.

In other European countries diesel is significantly cheaper but that is
compensated for by higher taxes on the cars or road useage. You have to do
quite a high mileage before a diesel becomes more economical on fuel price
alone. Of course, mpg is better, too.

And yes, any price differences are due to differing tax rates.

DAS

---