Whirring gears on freeway

Old April 28th 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Abbye

Default Whirring gears on freeway

Hello,

I have 97 Ford Explorer with 104K miles on it. When slowing on the freeway,
I sometimes hear the gears whir and get no response then when attempting to
accelerate. I can put it into neutral and then pump the gas pedal and then
put it back into drive and it reengages. Tonight I drove on the freeway a
lot and notice that this is now happening even on the surface streets.

I've been told by a mechanic who drove it on the freeway it is my transfer
case. Should I spend 1,100 dollars to fix it before I sell the car (we're
due for an update) or take what I can get as a trade in?

Thanks in advance.

Abby

Old April 30th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Abbye

Hello again,

As an addendum to the message below, I am afraid that once the transfer case
is replaced, we'll be told we need a new transmission too. Occasionally, in
the morning after starting the car and reversing out of the driveway, it
hesitates before shifting back into drive.

Furthermore, as I attempted to put the car in park yesterday, it acted as if
it were still in neutral.

So I am afraid that if we start down the road to making repairs, I will
regret it $3 - 4,000 later. I've never traded in a car. Nor have I ever
attempted to sell a car with a major problem.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Abby

. ..

Old April 30th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Abbye wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> As an addendum to the message below, I am afraid that once the transfer case
> is replaced, we'll be told we need a new transmission too. Occasionally, in
> the morning after starting the car and reversing out of the driveway, it
> hesitates before shifting back into drive.
>
> Furthermore, as I attempted to put the car in park yesterday, it acted as if
> it were still in neutral.
>
> So I am afraid that if we start down the road to making repairs, I will
> regret it $3 - 4,000 later. I've never traded in a car. Nor have I ever
> attempted to sell a car with a major problem.
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Abby
>

> "Abbye" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have 97 Ford Explorer with 104K miles on it. When slowing on the
>> freeway, I sometimes hear the gears whir and get no response then when
>> attempting to accelerate. I can put it into neutral and then pump the gas
>> pedal and then put it back into drive and it reengages. Tonight I drove
>> on the freeway a lot and notice that this is now happening even on the
>> surface streets.
>>
>> I've been told by a mechanic who drove it on the freeway it is my transfer
>> case. Should I spend 1,100 dollars to fix it before I sell the car (we're
>> due for an update) or take what I can get as a trade in?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Abby

I'd trade it in. They're going to have a tech test drive it and they'll
decide what to offer you (usually lowball). See what they offer then
decide if you want to take it or if it's worth going through the hassle
of selling it yourself. I've had great success selling a car and a boat
on craigslist. But you're going to get a parade of flakes weirdos and
lowballers probably before the right buyer comes along. So.. you may
want to just trade it in. Go to edmunds.com to appraise it easy and
free. They give trade in value and sell it yourself value very accurately.
Old May 1st 07, 08:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Abbye" > wrote in message
. ..
> Hello again,
>
> As an addendum to the message below, I am afraid that once the transfer

case
> is replaced, we'll be told we need a new transmission too. Occasionally,

in
> the morning after starting the car and reversing out of the driveway, it
> hesitates before shifting back into drive.
>
> Furthermore, as I attempted to put the car in park yesterday, it acted as

if
> it were still in neutral.
>
> So I am afraid that if we start down the road to making repairs, I will
> regret it $3 - 4,000 later. I've never traded in a car. Nor have I ever
> attempted to sell a car with a major problem.
>
> Any insight would be much appreciated.
>
> Thanks!!!
>
> Abby
>

> "Abbye" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have 97 Ford Explorer with 104K miles on it. When slowing on the
> > freeway, I sometimes hear the gears whir and get no response then when
> > attempting to accelerate. I can put it into neutral and then pump the

gas
> > pedal and then put it back into drive and it reengages. Tonight I drove
> > on the freeway a lot and notice that this is now happening even on the
> > surface streets.
> >
> > I've been told by a mechanic who drove it on the freeway it is my

transfer
> > case. Should I spend 1,100 dollars to fix it before I sell the car

(we're
> > due for an update) or take what I can get as a trade in?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Abby

The first thing I'd do is check the fluid levels in the transfer case
(Mercon auto trans fluid), transmission, and rear differential and if any
are low add some gear oil or trans fluid as needed and see if it improves.

I've never sold a car that had anything wrong with it (least not that I
knew) so I'd be skeptical too--I'd clearly state on a Bill of Sale all the
problems and that it is being sold "As Is." Or trade it in.

Loud whirring noise in rear diff gkucera Jeep 9 September 17th 05 09:49 PM
Whirring. Matthew Allen Honda 7 September 13th 05 01:59 AM
Whirring noise 320i preps BMW 6 July 21st 05 06:02 PM
1998 SL2 - Engine 'whirring' noise Steve Whymark Saturn 4 April 6th 05 08:27 AM
Whirring sound when I open my Golf's door Rich Wales VW water cooled 6 February 14th 05 03:16 AM