coolant leak, waterpump and timing chain

Old November 1st 04, 06:52 PM
Anwar

Default coolant leak, waterpump and timing chain

Some of the time, I am getting a rythemic noise when my car is
started. It seems to come from the front right of the vehicle. I think
that it may be my main waterpump which is also leaking a little so I
am getting it replaced. The mechanic has told me to get my timing belt
changed at the same time. But my 97 Passat VR6 has a timing chain.
Should I spend the extra $100 to get the timing chain replaced? The
original cost of the replacing the main waterpump is coming to around
$400. I thought that the chains were permanent and will he also have
to do my timing again if he changes the timing chain.

As well I have a very very small leak from my auxillary waterpump, the
mechanic wants me to replace it too (along with the main waterpump) at
a cost of another $200. Is it worth it or should I just add some more
coolant every couple of months? The car has 85000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Anwar Upal
Old November 1st 04, 11:08 PM
Woodchuck

$100 for a timing chain? Don't think so because you must remove the
transmission to get to it! Figure about 10 hours labor for the job. Maybe
your mechanic isn't knowledgeable?

m...