Is it for sure the Catalytic Converter?

Old July 15th 05, 04:37 PM
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

"PabloRena ---> AnalProbe" > wrote in message
. ..

> "G-Ram" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > OK EVERYONE!!!!
> >
> > I have been informed by my mechanic that the reason for all of these
> > problems I am having is because the Hall Generator is bad and needs to
> > be replaced. My entire exhaust system is fine (thank god) everything
> > else is fine too.
> >
> > Maybe a discussion on what the hell a Hall Generator is and what
> > function it performs is in order...
> >
> > Thanks to everyone who replied with ideas and assistance.....

> Did he say that the Hall Effect sensor can be replaced itself, or does he
> need to replace the entire distributor?
>
> I don't know why he's calling it a "Hall Generator" when its actually a
> sensor. To quote from my handy dandy "Electronic Engineer's Handbook,

3'rd
> Edition", page 6-88., "A magnetic field applied across a current-carrying
> material will force the moving carriers to crowd to one side of the
> conductor. An electric current will develop as a result of this
> crowding...". I believe that when the distributor is rotating, some

portion
> of it must be magnetized and this spinning magnetic field crosses the Hall
> Effect sensor. The output of the sensor is a series of electric pulses

that
> are conditioned (filtered and level adjusted with operational amplifiers)
> and interpreted by the engine controller to adjust timing.
>
> Anyone, tell me if I've got this wrong. As I told the orignal poster back
> on 7/12/05, I knew it was either the distributor or the catalytic

converter,
> I just didn't know which one. Unfortunately on my car both systems had to
> be replaced at the same time.

Actually its not a sensor, but a transducer that converts a time varying
magnetic field (difficult to measure) into a time varying voltage (easier to
measure). Sorry about the confusion that I may have caused. Its certainly
not a "generator", don't let that mechanic get away with trying to play
engineer.

Old July 15th 05, 06:16 PM
Brian Running

> Actually its not a sensor, but a transducer that converts a time varying
> magnetic field (difficult to measure) into a time varying voltage (easier to
> measure). Sorry about the confusion that I may have caused. Its certainly
> not a "generator", don't let that mechanic get away with trying to play
> engineer.

They're called Hall generators because they generate the timing pulses
by using the Hall effect. Nothing improper about that.
Old July 15th 05, 09:01 PM
PabloRena ---> AnalProbe

"Brian Running" > wrote in message
m...
> > Actually its not a sensor, but a transducer that converts a time varying
> > magnetic field (difficult to measure) into a time varying voltage

(easier to
> > measure). Sorry about the confusion that I may have caused. Its

certainly
> > not a "generator", don't let that mechanic get away with trying to play
> > engineer.

> They're called Hall generators because they generate the timing pulses
> by using the Hall effect. Nothing improper about that.

Okay, then perhaps its the terminology is akin to a function generator, a
box that creates sine waves, square waves, pulse trains, etc. I just have
never considered it this way. Whatever, I'm just glad to have been able to
help out the original poster get his VW back on the road!

Old July 16th 05, 02:15 AM
Woodchuck

Stop that, you makin my brain work again(lol)!

"

Old July 16th 05, 02:22 AM
Woodchuck

To add to that... it tells the computer where #1 cylinder TDC is. Once the
engine knows that it will fire the injectors "timed" to the cylinder firing
order. If the signal isn't there then it just fires all the injectors at 50%
fuel twice per crank rotation. The engine will start and run, but just be
down on power some. For all you 2.0l owners just unplug it and see if the
engine starts and runs. Be warned the MIL will come on but will go back out
in a few days once plugged back in.

Class over-- Beer time!

Old July 16th 05, 02:34 AM
Woodchuck

Hall generators, not sure if Bosch invented or refined it or not but they
produce a square wave output directly from the Hall generator. The Hall has
3 wires, power(12v), ground, and signal output. On VW's the shutter wheel
inside only has one opening to locate TDC of #1 cylinder.

Old July 16th 05, 06:18 AM
G-Ram

Its good to see that so many of you guys/gals out there are willing to
help out people like myself. The mechanic I went to is very well known
and came highly suggested by some 'honda' mechanic friends of mine.
The sensor/tranducer/generator can be changed WITHOUT having to change
the entire distributor.
This should be a really good string for someone out there that has the
same type issues.

Once again thanks to all you 'pro's' out there....beer time
exactly!!!!!!!!!!!