2002 Alfa 156 2.4 JTD

Old June 29th 05, 07:36 PM
Quiz

"Quiz" wrote:
> Thanks Paulus :lol:
>

> But could a temp probe cause this problem?
>
> The ECU was reading the temperature at -172 degrees.
>
> Although the guage was reading about 70 degrees
>
> Quiz.

OK.

I have changed the temp. probe myself, had to take off the battery to
do it.

I have driven the car and not believed how different it was, PERFECT
pick up from low revs.

30 miles later, same problem but worse,on one occasion I drove for
about a mile on tick-over with the revs not picking up at all :cry:

Yesterday I had an Auto-electrician round to check the wiring from the
probe to the ECU (or should that be ACU). He could not find any thing
wrong with the wiring.
I know that Paulus has told me the ECU does not go wrong and I would
not like to change it unnecessarilly(did I spell that right), but I do
not know where to look now.

The Auto electrician said that I may have to reset the earlier faulty
reading from the temperature probe , as the ECU will not know that I
have changed it?
But if this were necessary, why did the performance improve for the
first 30 miles?

I’m starting to wish I’d bought a Ford :cry:
Quiz.
Old June 29th 05, 07:36 PM
Paulus-Milanomotorsport

"Quiz" wrote:

>I’m starting to wish I’d bought a Ford :cry:

Looking back at your previous submission you say:

"I have today, taken the car to a Fiat dealer.
They put the car on to a diognostic check and have told me that the
ECU is not recieving a signal from the temperature probe........".

which implies that the fault is outside the ECU, as it is not
RECEIVING a signal.

You have changed the Air-Mass sensor, and your electrotech says "the
wiring from the probe to the ECU"
is OK, but that still leaves the "feed" to the Air-Mass meter, and
I would check that area first.

It is possible (although unlikely) that you disturbed a poor wire when
you fitted the Air-Mass meter which improved a poor connection but
which then parted completly after 30 miles. I wouldn’t bet the farm
on it but it does match the facts as stated.

It is of course possible the ECU is duff but as I said if Pipers say
it is not receiving a signal then I reason that the fault is outside
the ECU, and I have never seen one go down (has anyone else?).

Oh yeah - I think you will find that Ford probably use the same
injector components as most other manufacturers, including Alfa!

Paulus
Old June 29th 05, 07:37 PM
Quiz

you say:

"I have today, taken the car to a Fiat dealer.
They put the car on to a diognostic check and have told me that the
ECU is not recieving a signal from the temperature probe........".

which implies that the fault is outside the ECU, as it is not
RECEIVING a signal.
Paulus

The ECU was recieving a signal, but it was minus 172.
Does that imply a bad earth?

Also after checking the wiring yesterday from the temperature probe,
this meant having to remove the battery again, the car was good for
about 5 miles today. It was good until I parked it and restarted then
the same fault re-occured?
Does the ECU need to be reset by a main dealer? or does it reset
itself when the battery is disconnected?
Quiz.