Downshifting Grinding noise

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 24th 05, 04:02 PM
jim beam

Pars wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>

>>>I'm in the same boat. I went to the Honda dealership to get my clutch

> oil
>
>>>changed (for the 2nd time since owning the car). Turns out, that my

> clutch
>
>>>oil was low and the Honda mechanic recommends new master & slave

> cylinder
>
>>>and a overhaul for the clutch master cylinder. After 245,000km of hard
>>>driving, you'd think a simple oil change should do the job. Oh well..
>>>
>>>The syncro is shot for third gear (only crunches when I'm racing..but

> I'm
>
>>>sure it'll get worst). Considering that I have been ruff with the

> tranny,
>
>>>would it be wise to also get a new clutch while their working on the

> clutch
>
>>>master cylinder? So far, everything under the hood is still original

> (except
>
>>>for spark plug and air filter) and this will be the first time It'll be
>>>going for surgery because of failed parts...
>>>
>>>I'm going to have to get used to the fact that the car isn't
>>>indestructible...*sigh*
>>>
>>>Pars
>>>98 Civic Hatch
>>>

>>this is where you can teach yourself to double-clutch effectively!
>>seriously, you can keep a shot synchro going indefinitely if you do.
>>

> Yep, looks like I might have to become an expert at it. But for now, I'm
> going to have to avoid drag races that requires 3rd gear. Downshifting from
> 5 to 3 is still smooth since I'm good at rev matching....so I can still
> squeeze some fun out of 3rd. But once third is completely gone, I'm not
> going to be a happy camper, since it's my favorite gear.
>
> Pars

i drove a car with no 2nd synchro for years. once i got the hang of it,
it was easy. which was great because it meant my sister would never
borrow my car. i don't drive a stick that much now, but when i do, i
still find myself occasionally doing that second kick on the clutch.

i think it's easy once you understand what's going on - the principle is
that you either spin up or spin down with the clutch engaged in neutral
to match the ratio speeds, then engage gear.