2003 Rear axle whine

Old July 5th 06, 03:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Cedartown Electronics

Default 2003 Rear axle whine

Well it really went in today to the shop. 07/05/06 warranty expires
07/31/06. They did not have a loaner car for my wife so the service manager
took her home. Which was pretty nice of them.
Is there any particular "test" that can be done to make sure everything
is OK, or at least not worse?

Thanks
Richard

"Cedartown Electronics" > wrote in message

> 2003 XLT 24K miles almost out of warranty first of August.
>
> Calcification on rear axle noise?
>
> I think my explorer in getting the famous rear end whine. At speeds
> between 40 and 65 there is a loud whining sound BUT when I take my foot

off

Old July 10th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Cedartown Electronics

Last post on this subject (I hope)

1. Truck went in shop 7/5/06. Service guy carried my wife home. (we live
about 15 miles from shop)
2. Shop delivered truck back at house 07/07/06.
3. Fixed the following items:
Put in rear end bearing kit
Replaced rear driver side power window motor. (again)
Replaced black door pillar panels on both sides that had become
discolored.
Put a few bucks of gas in truck
4. Charge: $0
5. I tested the truck Sunday and the rear whine is not noticeable.

All in all, not a bad experience at all. I suggest Freedom Ford in Centre,
Al if you live anywhere around here. They also listen to my other
complaints and offer suggestions on how to fix them myself on my '99
Explorer and '01 SuperCrew. So far so good, I have my fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone!
Richard Grimes

Old July 15th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dicko

I took my '04 Explorer in yesterday to have my whine fixed. It was
one month out of warrenty. For a $300 "owner participation fee" they
agreed to fix it. Got the car back and it's never been so silent. In
fact, now I hear all the other noises it makes that I didn't hear
before :-)

I hope it stays this way. The dealer claims they redesigned the gears.

Overall, they did a good job. Dropped it off in the morning, it was
done that evening.

dickm

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:46:14 -0400, "Cedartown Electronics"
> wrote:

>Last post on this subject (I hope)
>
>1. Truck went in shop 7/5/06. Service guy carried my wife home. (we live
>about 15 miles from shop)
>2. Shop delivered truck back at house 07/07/06.
>3. Fixed the following items:
> Put in rear end bearing kit
> Replaced rear driver side power window motor. (again)
> Replaced black door pillar panels on both sides that had become
>discolored.
> Put a few bucks of gas in truck
>4. Charge: $0
>5. I tested the truck Sunday and the rear whine is not noticeable.
>
>All in all, not a bad experience at all. I suggest Freedom Ford in Centre,
>Al if you live anywhere around here. They also listen to my other
>complaints and offer suggestions on how to fix them myself on my '99
>Explorer and '01 SuperCrew. So far so good, I have my fingers crossed!
>
>Thanks everyone!
>Richard Grimes

.. .

Old July 15th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Anyone know if this problem also affects early '05 models? My Limited
V8 with the trailer towing package is beginning to whine at 55-60 mph.
The vehicle is still in warranty, so will take it to the dealer soon.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:25:56 -0500, dicko >
wrote:

>I took my '04 Explorer in yesterday to have my whine fixed. It was
>one month out of warrenty. For a $300 "owner participation fee" they
>agreed to fix it. Got the car back and it's never been so silent. In
>fact, now I hear all the other noises it makes that I didn't hear
>before :-)
>
>I hope it stays this way. The dealer claims they redesigned the gears.
>
>Overall, they did a good job. Dropped it off in the morning, it was
>done that evening.
>
>dickm
>
>On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:46:14 -0400, "Cedartown Electronics"
> wrote:
>
>>Last post on this subject (I hope)
>>
>>1. Truck went in shop 7/5/06. Service guy carried my wife home. (we live
>>about 15 miles from shop)
>>2. Shop delivered truck back at house 07/07/06.
>>3. Fixed the following items:
>> Put in rear end bearing kit
>> Replaced rear driver side power window motor. (again)
>> Replaced black door pillar panels on both sides that had become
>>discolored.
>> Put a few bucks of gas in truck
>>4. Charge: $0
>>5. I tested the truck Sunday and the rear whine is not noticeable.
>>
>>All in all, not a bad experience at all. I suggest Freedom Ford in Centre,
>>Al if you live anywhere around here. They also listen to my other
>>complaints and offer suggestions on how to fix them myself on my '99
>>Explorer and '01 SuperCrew. So far so good, I have my fingers crossed!
>>
>>Thanks everyone!
>>Richard Grimes

. ..

Old July 15th 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dicko

The TSB was posted at the beginning of this thread. you can google for
it if you missed it. Here's the TSB header

TSB 05-23-3 11/28/05

REAR AXLE NOISE REPAIR\

FORD:
1997-2005 Expedition, F-150
2002-2005 Explorer
LINCOLN:
1998-2005 Navigator
2003-2005 Aviator
MERCURY:
2002-2005 Mountaineer

So yes, it does cover 2005.

I'd print out the TSB and take it with you to the dealer. But they
wouldnt fix mine until they verified for themselves that it had whine.
They wouldnt take my word for it. BTW, 57 mph was the magic speed on
mine where it sounded the worst.

dickm

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 13:46:33 GMT, Big Shoe
> wrote:

>Anyone know if this problem also affects early '05 models? My Limited
>V8 with the trailer towing package is beginning to whine at 55-60 mph.
>The vehicle is still in warranty, so will take it to the dealer soon.
>
>On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 19:25:56 -0500, dicko >
>wrote:
>
>>I took my '04 Explorer in yesterday to have my whine fixed. It was
>>one month out of warrenty. For a $300 "owner participation fee" they
>>agreed to fix it. Got the car back and it's never been so silent. In
>>fact, now I hear all the other noises it makes that I didn't hear
>>before :-)
>>
>>I hope it stays this way. The dealer claims they redesigned the gears.
>>
>>Overall, they did a good job. Dropped it off in the morning, it was
>>done that evening.
>>
>>dickm
>>
>>On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 09:46:14 -0400, "Cedartown Electronics"
> wrote:
>>
>>>Last post on this subject (I hope)
>>>
>>>1. Truck went in shop 7/5/06. Service guy carried my wife home. (we live
>>>about 15 miles from shop)
>>>2. Shop delivered truck back at house 07/07/06.
>>>3. Fixed the following items:
>>> Put in rear end bearing kit
>>> Replaced rear driver side power window motor. (again)
>>> Replaced black door pillar panels on both sides that had become
>>>discolored.
>>> Put a few bucks of gas in truck
>>>4. Charge: $0
>>>5. I tested the truck Sunday and the rear whine is not noticeable.
>>>
>>>All in all, not a bad experience at all. I suggest Freedom Ford in Centre,
>>>Al if you live anywhere around here. They also listen to my other
>>>complaints and offer suggestions on how to fix them myself on my '99
>>>Explorer and '01 SuperCrew. So far so good, I have my fingers crossed!
>>>
>>>Thanks everyone!
>>>Richard Grimes

>>>manager
>>>everything

>>>talking

Tranny & Rear Axle Fluid Change Tom Mazda 2 May 6th 06 07:38 PM
C3 Rear Axle Bearings [email protected] Corvette 8 April 12th 06 04:37 PM
E39 back axle whine. R. Mark Clayton BMW 0 January 9th 06 01:24 PM
Hubs on rear axle? Troy Jeep 12 December 8th 05 01:47 AM
Forza Car List Rob Berryhill Simulators 19 May 7th 05 11:37 PM