Drove a new MX5 today and...

Old February 7th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Drove a new MX5 today and...

....absolutely detested the car! The very last thing I expected is the
car would hurt, the seat put a pain in my back that still hasn't gone
away, the throttle position caused enough pain in my ankle to where I
had to use the cruise control and the left hand cup holder, the one
built into the door panel, really dug into my leg.

On the good side, it's WAAAY faster then my 1.6, the top works as it
should, there are a bunch of really nice features and the handling is
good although my test was less extensive than I wanted it to be because
of the discomfort.

It's a nice car for someone else, it doesn't fit me at all so the 1992
is going to stay for awhile, it fits me and I guess I'm old enough now
so that's one of the most important features I look for in a car.

Old February 8th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote:

>...absolutely detested the car! The very last thing I expected is the
>car would hurt, the seat put a pain in my back that still hasn't gone
>away, the throttle position caused enough pain in my ankle to where I
>had to use the cruise control and the left hand cup holder, the one
>built into the door panel, really dug into my leg.
>
>On the good side, it's WAAAY faster then my 1.6, the top works as it
>should, there are a bunch of really nice features and the handling is
>good although my test was less extensive than I wanted it to be because
>of the discomfort.
>
>It's a nice car for someone else, it doesn't fit me at all so the 1992
>is going to stay for awhile, it fits me and I guess I'm old enough now
>so that's one of the most important features I look for in a car.

I assume you drove a base package. The leather seats are a lot more
comfortable, one major reason why I never seriously considered the simpler
packages.

However there *is* a logic. Mazda recognized the problem with the
steering wheel, so they put those wooden seats in there to make clear:
"No, this is NOT a Buick!"

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old February 8th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 00:55:43 GMT,
(Leon van Dommelen) wrote:

>XS11E > wrote:
>
>>...absolutely detested the car! The very last thing I expected is the
>>car would hurt, the seat put a pain in my back that still hasn't gone
>>away, the throttle position caused enough pain in my ankle to where I
>>had to use the cruise control and the left hand cup holder, the one
>>built into the door panel, really dug into my leg.
>>
>>On the good side, it's WAAAY faster then my 1.6, the top works as it
>>should, there are a bunch of really nice features and the handling is
>>good although my test was less extensive than I wanted it to be because
>>of the discomfort.
>>
>>It's a nice car for someone else, it doesn't fit me at all so the 1992
>>is going to stay for awhile, it fits me and I guess I'm old enough now
>>so that's one of the most important features I look for in a car.

>I assume you drove a base package. The leather seats are a lot more
>comfortable, one major reason why I never seriously considered the simpler
>packages.
>
>However there *is* a logic. Mazda recognized the problem with the
>steering wheel, so they put those wooden seats in there to make clear:
>"No, this is NOT a Buick!"
>
>Leon

I traded my 02 for a club spec and 4,000 miles later the seats are
fine...in fact my 02 was a base model because I didn't want leather
and I wanted a 5 spd. I didn't really care about the cruise either way
and never used it in the 02. No air along with a 5 spd and cloth seats
made the club spec a deal maker for me. Personally I haven't noticed
any ankle pain with the throttle position and as for the cup holders
the one on the drivers side was a nuisance for a few weeks and now I
don't even notice it.

My biggest regret is having to wait or spend an arm & leg for a
hardtop.

Of course I'm the one that caught hell for owning a miata (02) and
having the top down only once and then putting the hardtop on and
never taking it off from April 02 to Nov 05.

Old February 8th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

(Leon van Dommelen) wrote in
:

> XS11E > wrote:
>
>>...absolutely detested the car! The very last thing I expected is
>>the car would hurt, the seat put a pain in my back that still
>>hasn't gone away, the throttle position caused enough pain in my
>>ankle to where I had to use the cruise control and the left hand
>>cup holder, the one built into the door panel, really dug into my
>>leg.
>>
>>On the good side, it's WAAAY faster then my 1.6, the top works as
>>it should, there are a bunch of really nice features and the
>>handling is good although my test was less extensive than I wanted
>>it to be because of the discomfort.
>>
>>It's a nice car for someone else, it doesn't fit me at all so the
>>1992 is going to stay for awhile, it fits me and I guess I'm old
>>enough now so that's one of the most important features I look for
>>in a car.

> I assume you drove a base package. The leather seats are a lot
> more comfortable, one major reason why I never seriously
> considered the simpler packages.

It was pretty loaded but didn't have the leather. The problem is the
contour of the seat back and no change of upholstery will alter that.
Probably having had 13 years to "break in" has something to do with the
'92 fitting me so well, I'm sure the shape of my car's seat is somewhat
different after years of wear than it was in 1992.

However, the seat is the least of the problem. The GM accelerator in a
major one, I've never been able to drive any GM car for a long distance
w/o cruise control, I've never had any such problems with Ford,
Chrysler, Jeep or any of the Japanese cars. Only GM and now the new
MX5. As for the cup holder, that would require a redesign of the door
panel somehow, I wouldn't even drive the car off the lot w/o a fix for
that.

There's enough about the car to like that I sorta wish it did fit, but
it doesn't so think of the MONEY I'll save! ;-)

Old February 8th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Was this a physical size issue?
Are you large or small? I'm considering an MX5 also,
but I'm 5'3", I'll do without a power seat, but I'm sure
glad they added the adjustable sterring wheel !!

--
I work for the ILEC ...." stuff happens! "

Old February 8th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Remove This" > wrote in

> Was this a physical size issue?

Mostly.

> Are you large or small? I'm considering an MX5 also,
> but I'm 5'3",

I'm 6'4" with very long legs, shorter legs would have eliminated the
problem with the cup holder on the left door (OOOPS, Mazda says it's a
bottle holder only for bottles with screw on lids, a cup will spill
when you close the door).
Old February 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Best to go drive one, even people of similar heights / weights, will fit
considerably different. At your height I can't imagine you having a problem.

Chris
99BBB

Old February 9th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in
:

> Best to go drive one, even people of similar heights / weights,
> will fit considerably different. At your height I can't imagine
> you having a problem.

Agreed, if my legs were shorter I could have moved the seat a bit
forward and the "bottle holder" on the door wouldn't have bothered me
at all. If I were not quite so wide, the seat bolsters would not have
pressed in on my ribs enough to be uncomfortable and the lumbar support
being too high wouldn't have hurt my back if my back was even remotely
healthy.

BTW, I believe the problems with the seat shape (but not the bottle
holder or acclerator position) would have been solved with time. My
1992 with 140,000 miles surely has the seat bolsters and lumbar support
foam crushed way down over the years and probably the 1992 was very
much like the 2006 when it was new....

Another major problem for me is I really LIKE the 1992 and I'm not
willing to spend $20,000 or more to trade it for a car that I like
less!

Old February 9th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

what i didn't like was how low i felt in the car, or should i say how much
higher the bottom of the windows were... felt like it must be similar to how
a turtle feels. i suspect it gives some people a sense of security, but not
me. can't say that i loved the seats either (5'11" on the leather seats).
my '95 m1 seats are really snug and hold me in place around turns; hard to
beat. but my thought about the seats was that they were made to fit the
generally more 'prosperous' sized people of today...

Old February 10th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Christopher,

You're right about the NA seats, they are the best ever fitted to a Miata
IMHO, of course that is because they were purpose built (sporting) for folks
about our size. NB's in my opinion, all have lesser (more politically
correct to fit 'all') seats and again, IMHO, the NC seats are a step in the
right direction (more sporting). They are firmer, I'd say more heavily
bolstered than most NB seats and they will laterally hold us narrower dudes
better. To me, they did seem to lack a bit in lumbar support but I have yet
to meet a miata seat that I felt had sufficient lumbar. This may be lacking
intentionally, getting the lumbar height, thickness, shape and firmness
right may just be asking too much when you have everything from 5'4" women
to 6' 4" men. Destined to folded towels and the like I guess.

Chris
99BBB w/mediocre seats