Snow/ice traction

Old December 23rd 04, 05:25 PM

Default Snow/ice traction

Looking for a used vehicle. Will a jeep cherokkee 4x4 go as good on
ice/snow as say a full size 4x4 pickup with a v8?

I have a two wheel drive old truck and could not even get out of my
driveway. Had to have my dad pull me out with his 4x4.

Old December 23rd 04, 08:01 PM
Mike Romain

A Jeep will not only go 'as good', it will be there to yank the stuck
pickup out too....
;-)

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 23rd 04, 09:42 PM

Mike Romain wrote:
> A Jeep will not only go 'as good', it will be there to yank the stuck
> pickup out too....
> ;-)
>
> Mike
> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
>
> wrote:
> >
> > Looking for a used vehicle. Will a jeep cherokkee 4x4 go as good on
> > ice/snow as say a full size 4x4 pickup with a v8?
> >
> > I have a two wheel drive old truck and could not even get out of my
> > driveway. Had to have my dad pull me out with his 4x4.

I dfound a 99. So there are no problems with these as far as
reliablility.

Old December 24th 04, 03:45 AM
Luneral

cherokee 4x4 will work.

ups.com...

Old December 24th 04, 04:22 PM
The Ancient One

".boB" > wrote in message
om...
> wrote:
>> Looking for a used vehicle. Will a jeep cherokkee 4x4 go as good on
>> ice/snow as say a full size 4x4 pickup with a v8?
>>
>> I have a two wheel drive old truck and could not even get out of my
>> driveway. Had to have my dad pull me out with his 4x4.
>>

> The issue is traction. If you get some good snow tires and place some
> weight in the back of your current truck, you'de be surprised at how well
> it works in the snow. And do you have an open diff? If so, that's the
> big reason you can't get any snow traction.
> Good tires and track-lock (ls) differential will be nearly as good as
> 4x4 in all but the worst conditions.

I used to think that to, until I bought my first 4x4. It's not even close,
yes I can make it to town in horrible winter conditions in a two wheel
drive, but it takes far more skill and concentration, with 4x4 I just plow
on through without worrying about it.
And the spots where you just barely make it with two wheel drive? You won't
even notice them in a 4x4. Yes, you can get them stuck, but if you are good
enough to drive a 2 wheel drive in bad weather you are good enough to avoid
impassable areas, or find a better route through.
> 4x4 is nice, but not a necessity.

For most it's not a necessity true, but when you get in a spot where it is a
necessity there's just no substitute.

> With thought in mind, I will recommend a Dakota for snow traction. In
> stock trim they are really tough to beat by anybody. Any schmuck can
> drive this truck in bad weather. Just point it and go, even with an empty
> bed.

Always amazed me how much of a difference there can be in winter performance
between similar vehicles, some are unstoppable, some are helpless.

Old December 24th 04, 06:02 PM
bowgus

About the Cherokee and deep snow ... it's a light vehicle (3100 lbs). I find
a 225/75 snow tire is ok but my 235s are just that much wider that they
cause the jeep to float a bit in the deep stuff. Suggestion ... stay at or
below a 225 for yer snow tire. Having said that, it could be that in the
really deep snow, the 4x4 truck with that additional 1000 lbs plus would be
the better vehicle. But I like my jeep, open differentials, just fine.

ups.com...

Old December 24th 04, 07:15 PM
Mike Romain

I will second the 225/75 size limit for snow. Our traction degraded
when we got 235's.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old December 24th 04, 07:25 PM
Mike Romain

Just because you can 'go' better doesn't mean you can stop better.....

The owners manuals for both of my Jeeps say to stay off the brakes in
the snow and to use the gears to almost stop, then brake. This works
surprisingly well. The gears can hold you at the 'threshold' braking
point with a little practice.

When you hit the brakes in 4x4, you can get into trouble in a hurry.
With a 'part time' system, the front and rear axles are locked so if you
lock the brakes all 4 tires lock up. You fast slide off into the ditch
sideways. It's not like a 2 wheel drive that only locks the fronts
normally because they have a proportioning valve to prevent rear wheel
lock up. Locking the rear wheels causes strange slides.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Chris Perdue wrote:

> >From: "The Ancient One"

> > with 4x4 I just plow
> >on through without worrying about it.

> for someone that actually knows how to drive in snow conditions this is
> okay....but for the masses that buy a 4x4 because it makes them "invincible"
> they are the ones i pass with my two wheel drive workvan as they sit in the
> ditch wondering how this could happen since they have four wheel drive...

URGENT - 1996 740IL Traction Control John Moriarity BMW 2 November 27th 04 06:32 AM
Traction Control TF Corvette 8 November 7th 04 07:42 PM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 05:42 PM
Serious off-road traction tires Jim 4x4 20 September 13th 04 04:20 PM