Aircraft engine in a VW

Old June 1st 05, 02:16 AM
Busahaulic

Yessir. My bus. I've got to rent the movie Tucker one of these years.
Everything I've heard / read about the Tucker automobile has been
fascinating. Didja look at the DynaCam site? -BaH

Old June 1st 05, 02:55 AM
Anthony W

Busahaulic wrote:
> Yessir. My bus. I've got to rent the movie Tucker one of these years.
> Everything I've heard / read about the Tucker automobile has been
> fascinating. Didja look at the DynaCam site? -BaH

I like the creative way you hid the radiator but doesn't it protrude
into cabin space? I missed the DynaCam site, what's it about?

BTW, are you still in Oregon?

Tony
Old June 1st 05, 05:28 AM
Busahaulic

If you look carefully you'll see that I extended the frame about 10". There
is about 4" space between the fan and body for free-flow of cooling air. The
radiator is a Toyota 4Runner and the fan genuine Flex-a-lite Black Magic.
This radiator is actually overkill and I am planning to add a bypass valve
so I can regulate the amount of coolant bypassing the radiator. What happens
is when I exceed 4,000rpm even briefly the engine takes a big gulp of cold
coolant and temp drops from 190 area to below 140. By allowing a shortcut
for some of the coolant I hope to eliminate that problem. It should also
help in winter driving.

I could switch to a smaller radiator, but get this: On the maiden voyage I
drove through Corvallis at 106 degrees ambient temp, heading for Newport...
The fan came on in town - a lot. Climbing the pass in that temp at 85mph
(really) the coolant temp stayed between 192 and 210, exactly where I
wanted it. System will hold about 260° before boiling.

Disadvantage of frame extension is I built downward and have a much
decreased approach angle. I drag the frame entering and exiting parking lots
at times.

Dynacam was in my first post of this thread.
http://www.dynacam.com/Index.htm
-BaH
Oh yeah - not in Oregon - in Washington. Trying to figure out how to make a
living in Oregon and still be able to enjoy the outdoor recreation
there...(!)

Old June 1st 05, 06:30 AM
Anthony W

Busahaulic wrote:
> If you look carefully you'll see that I extended the frame about 10". There
> is about 4" space between the fan and body for free-flow of cooling air. The
> radiator is a Toyota 4Runner and the fan genuine Flex-a-lite Black Magic.
> This radiator is actually overkill and I am planning to add a bypass valve
> so I can regulate the amount of coolant bypassing the radiator. What happens
> is when I exceed 4,000rpm even briefly the engine takes a big gulp of cold
> coolant and temp drops from 190 area to below 140. By allowing a shortcut
> for some of the coolant I hope to eliminate that problem. It should also
> help in winter driving.
>
> I could switch to a smaller radiator, but get this: On the maiden voyage I
> drove through Corvallis at 106 degrees ambient temp, heading for Newport...
> The fan came on in town - a lot. Climbing the pass in that temp at 85mph
> (really) the coolant temp stayed between 192 and 210, exactly where I
> wanted it. System will hold about 260° before boiling.
>
> Disadvantage of frame extension is I built downward and have a much
> decreased approach angle. I drag the frame entering and exiting parking lots
> at times.

I was thinking about doing then then I sold my bus to another person on
this NG. Anybody remember Jen?

> Dynacam was in my first post of this thread.
> http://www.dynacam.com/Index.htm

I've seen a lot of things like that come and go. It will be interesting
to see if time is kind to this engine or if it beats itself apart...

> Oh yeah - not in Oregon - in Washington. Trying to figure out how to make a
> living in Oregon and still be able to enjoy the outdoor recreation
> there...(!)

Oregon is a rather screwed up state but I don't think WA, is much better
and CA is a lot worse... All the other places I've been willing to move
to are even worse for trying to make a living.

Tony