Can't latch top.

Old October 13th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jim Becker

Default Can't latch top.

Frank: Go to Miata fourm and do a search on your problem. I'm sure you'll
find an answer.

Good luck

--
Jim Becker
Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
m...

Old October 13th 08, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

OzOne wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:15:53 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> > wrote:
>
>> Just before leaving for the airport, I decided to put up the Miata's
>> top. I couldn't get the latches to latch. It was as if they didn't
>> extend far enough. I tried adjusting them (turning the adjusting
>> nut to extend the latches as far as possible, but that didn't work.
>> It was as though something were preventing the top from going up all
>> the way. Any ideas?
>>

> Wind the windows down or open the doors first

Whoa. Another interesting suggestion, but the windows were open.

Old October 13th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2008-10-13, Frank Berger > wrote:
> OzOne wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:15:53 -0500, "Frank Berger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just before leaving for the airport, I decided to put up the Miata's
>>> top. I couldn't get the latches to latch. It was as if they didn't
>>> extend far enough. I tried adjusting them (turning the adjusting
>>> nut to extend the latches as far as possible, but that didn't work.
>>> It was as though something were preventing the top from going up all
>>> the way. Any ideas?
>>>

>> Wind the windows down or open the doors first

> Whoa. Another interesting suggestion, but the windows were open.

That one does actually make a difference. If the windows are
down or the doors are open, then you don't aren't compressing
the rubber roof/window seals as you latch the top.

I'm still waiting for the explanation as to why the trunk being
open/closed would make a difference.

[Somebody please remind me to plug in the read-window defogger
adapter cable _before_ I install the hard top this year...]

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I wonder if I ought
at to tell them about my
Old October 13th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
OzOne

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:14:23 -0500, "Frank Berger"
> wrote:

>OzOne wrote:
>> On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:15:53 -0500, "Frank Berger"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Just before leaving for the airport, I decided to put up the Miata's
>>> top. I couldn't get the latches to latch. It was as if they didn't
>>> extend far enough. I tried adjusting them (turning the adjusting
>>> nut to extend the latches as far as possible, but that didn't work.
>>> It was as though something were preventing the top from going up all
>>> the way. Any ideas?
>>>

>> Wind the windows down or open the doors first
>>

>Whoa. Another interesting suggestion, but the windows were open.

Ah OK, the top on my NC won't come close to latching if I don't first
lower the windows.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.
Old October 13th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jim Becker

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...ighlight=trunk

--
Jim Becker
Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
http://members.cox.net/jbecker31
. ..

Old October 13th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2008-10-13, Jim Becker > wrote:

> http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...ighlight=trunk

That thread is about an NC power-hard-top that won't retract.

It's not relevent to the problem of a convertible top that
appears to have "shrunk" or "set" so that it's difficult to
latch after it's put up.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is it NOUVELLE
at CUISINE when 3 olives are
Old October 13th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Rob[_15_]

Frank Berger > wrote:

> Just before leaving for the airport, I decided to put up the Miata's top. I
> couldn't get the latches to latch. It was as if they didn't extend far
> enough. I tried adjusting them (turning the adjusting nut to extend the
> latches as far as possible, but that didn't work. It was as though
> something were preventing the top from going up all the way. Any ideas?

If it's a vinyl top, then it will 'shrink' if left down for any length
of time (weeks, not hours). When a new top is fitted, it can take two
people to pull it (hard) into the position where the clamps can be
closed for the first time.

In the UK roof fitters recommend keeping a new vinyl top up for at least
a week once fitted to allow it to stretch. Keeeping a roof down for
weeks (or months) on end is not normally a viable option over here :-)

I'd guess that yours has 'reverted' to a just fitted state and needs a
good stretch.

Brute force is the way to do it - it'll help if it's a warm day.

--
Rob - Shropshire
So many cats,
Old October 13th 08, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Jim Becker

I see that...but the original post didn't say cloth or hardtop. I guess i
was trying to hard to help someone out.

I'm gone

Old October 13th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2008-10-13, Jim Becker > wrote:

> I see that...but the original post didn't say cloth or
> hardtop. I guess i was trying to hard to help someone out.
>
> I'm gone

I don't doubt your motives or veracity, I was just very
confused by your comment about the trunk lid. So I asked for
an explanation.

To be honest, it never even occurred to me that the OP was
talking about a retractable hard-top -- thus my bafflement over
the connection with the trunk lid.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! I brought my BOWLING
at BALL -- and some DRUGS!!
Old October 17th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Frank Berger

Rob wrote:
> Frank Berger > wrote:
>
>> Just before leaving for the airport, I decided to put up the Miata's
>> top. I couldn't get the latches to latch. It was as if they didn't
>> extend far enough. I tried adjusting them (turning the adjusting
>> nut to extend the latches as far as possible, but that didn't work.
>> It was as though something were preventing the top from going up all
>> the way. Any ideas?

> If it's a vinyl top, then it will 'shrink' if left down for any length
> of time (weeks, not hours). When a new top is fitted, it can take two
> people to pull it (hard) into the position where the clamps can be
> closed for the first time.
>
> In the UK roof fitters recommend keeping a new vinyl top up for at
> least a week once fitted to allow it to stretch. Keeeping a roof down
> for weeks (or months) on end is not normally a viable option over
> here :-)
>
> I'd guess that yours has 'reverted' to a just fitted state and needs a
> good stretch.
>
> Brute force is the way to do it - it'll help if it's a warm day.

Brute force worked. Top is up. Thanks for all the advice.