Please talk me down

Old February 13th 05, 08:26 PM
Dana H. Myers

The Millers wrote:

> Oh yeah, take if from someone who knows -- there is nothing like a V8 with a
> stick. Nothing!

Except maybe a V-10 with a stick...

;-)

Dana
Old February 13th 05, 09:44 PM
The Millers

Never drove a V10 powered vehicle, but in theory it would have to be more
fun, wouldn't it?

V6 w/stick = fun

V8 w/stick = BLAST

V10 w/stick ~= "Hang on, Martha, I'll peel you off the seat!"

However, where can you find a V10 Rocket that's priced like a Vette? Dodge
Ram, maybe, but I don't think they handle quite the same. ;-)

ps: Before I raise too many eyebrows -- Miata w/stick = Nirvana

Old February 13th 05, 11:49 PM
Dana H. Myers

The Millers wrote:
> Never drove a V10 powered vehicle, but in theory it would have to be more
> fun, wouldn't it?
>
> V6 w/stick = fun
>
> V8 w/stick = BLAST
>
> V10 w/stick ~= "Hang on, Martha, I'll peel you off the seat!"
>
> However, where can you find a V10 Rocket that's priced like a Vette? Dodge
> Ram, maybe, but I don't think they handle quite the same. ;-)

Yeah, I haven't really shopped for a Viper, but they're probably
20-25% more than a 'Vette.

But we weren't looking at bang/buck ratio, were we? If
we were, a Mazdaspeed Miata or a WRX STi probably wins.

Old February 14th 05, 12:30 AM
BallroomDancer

"Tom Howlin" > wrote in message
> I'm having an automtoive crisis! After 14 years of blissful Miata
> ownership, I'm seriously considering going to the dark side of a Corvette.
> I really like the new C6 coupe but am seriously wondering if within days
> I'll be regretting a 50K purchase and wanting back my little car.
> Unfortunately, my insurance company was no help, insuring the Vette only
> cost $120 more per six months than the Miata (360 vs. 240). Hoping someone
> else on this group has faced this crisis and found reasons not to spend
> all that money. I know this sounds childish but I've lusted after a Vette
> for 40 years and this is the first time they've put together a package
> that makes "sense". The Corvette forums are useless snce they are all
> diehards and can find no wrong with their cars and look down upon us Miata
> owners. Perhaps someone here has owned both and can dissuade me from
> spending more for a car than I did my first two houses. TIA for any
> "counseling" that can be provided.

My info is a bit dated. I've had two Vettes, a 1961 and 1968. Lost a job and
had to get rid of the first one. On the 68, I bought it used for $3000 (my
mother told me about it - its owner worked with her, was getting married,
his bride-to-be insisted that he get rid of it and get a family car), kept
it for 4 years, and sold it for $3800. At that time, almost all the gadgets
on the car were vaccuum operated, there was a bundle of hoses that ran
through the center of the car that was 4" in diameter, and they leaked as
they got older. I was a perfectionist on it, and wanted everything working.
Plug changes - let it cool down overnight, then 7 of the 8 came out fairly
easy, the last one needed a contortionist with a lot of snapon tools. I did
enjoy the car. It wasn't as much sports car as the Fiat spyder I had later,
or the Opel GT, or the MG-B (or my present 328 BMW convertible). It also
wasn't as much true sports car at the time as my wife's 1997 Miata.
GM has refined the car over the years. My feeling is that of a lot of your
responders - get the Vette, if you can afford it, it will not preclude your
doing the other things that you need to do (family responsibilities, giving
to church/charity as you feel needed, etc.). If you can do it, keep the
Miata, you can always sell it 3 months later if you really feel that you
don't need it.
My Fiat was the only car I owned twice - I traded it for a 3/4 ton van, then
bought it back a year later (10mpg on the van, 40mpg on the roadster); that
turned me on to having two cars. Even with one new car, they do break down
and you need something to drive. Two used cars don't cost that much more
(mostly the extra insurance), and you've still got a ride.
BTW, I did drive the BMW roadster also before buying the 4 seater, the 4
seater handled just as good as the roadster.
Jim

Old February 14th 05, 06:37 AM

If you got the money, then it's only money. Enjoy that Corvette. Set up
a road trip to Bowling Green to pick it up.

Old February 14th 05, 07:33 AM
Scott

Tom Howlin wrote:

> I've lusted after a Vette for 40 years and this is the first time
> they've put together a package that makes "sense".
> Tom
> 92 Red

I currently own a tastefully modified '91 Miata, but in the past (many,
many years ago) I owned two '67 Vettes, so I understand anyone lusting
after one.

While I am sure I would love driving a new Vette, I can't get past the
looks of the car. To me the styling just doesn't look right. I think
the car is too small for the design. The rear end doesn't look very good
and the front end, dare I say it, looks Japanese, which is not
necessarily bad--unless, of course, you want an American V8 sports car.
I wouldn't pay 50K for a car no matter how good it was if I wasn't
happy with the way it looked.

Now if you like the looks of the car and have the money, I would say buy it.

Old February 14th 05, 11:48 PM
Ken Lyons

OK Tom, I've seen your Miata. Here's what I offer: Sell me the '92 for $1500
and buy the 'Vette. I'll sign a contract that states if at any time in the
next 12 months you don't feel you made the right decision I'll sell you your
Miata back for $1500. I promise not to drive the snot out of it. Seriously,
call me if you want to sell it.

BTW, my OTM mechanic sold his Corvette to start his auto repair business,
swearing that as soon as he could afford it he would get another. He now has
a very clean white C5, partially due to the money I've spent keeping our
former OTM Chrysler Concorde in operating condition.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red/('92 Classic Red?)
Inside the Beltway

Old February 15th 05, 12:17 AM
Tom Howlin

Ken,

It's a tough decision because I dearly love that little car but the
Vette is calling to me. Of course, I found out today that ordering one
is out of the question since the dealers (at least in Fredericksburg and
Richmond) are selling out of their allottments and so don't have any
ordering room. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, it has to be
exactly what I want and not something I'm settling for. They told me
today that 2005 production will continue through August instead of
ending in June like normal and things might not free up until the 2006
models are released (I guess they replenish their allottment at that
time). I think the advice on here is sound, keep the Miata no matter
what I do, at least until I decide if I made the right decision.

If I ever do decide to sell it, it will almost certainly have to go to a
member of the Miata family from this newsgroup or miata.net. As stupid
as it sounds, it would really bother me if some youngster bought it and
decided to rice it up or add a body kit of something equally destructive
to the character of the car. I'll call you if it ever does go up for sale.

Thanks to everyone's input, not that it talked me down at all! Even my
wife is supportive with the same argument, you only live once.

Tom
92 Red
05/06 Vette to Be? (red, but of course!)

Old February 15th 05, 03:30 AM
Bryan

"Tom Howlin" > wrote in message
> I'm having an automtoive crisis! After 14 years of blissful Miata
> ownership, I'm seriously considering going to the dark side of a Corvette.
> I really like the new C6 coupe but am seriously wondering if within days
> I'll be regretting a 50K purchase and wanting back my little car.
> Unfortunately, my insurance company was no help, insuring the Vette only
> cost $120 more per six months than the Miata (360 vs. 240). Hoping someone
> else on this group has faced this crisis and found reasons not to spend
> all that money. I know this sounds childish but I've lusted after a Vette
> for 40 years and this is the first time they've put together a package
> that makes "sense". The Corvette forums are useless snce they are all
> diehards and can find no wrong with their cars and look down upon us Miata
> owners. Perhaps someone here has owned both and can dissuade me from
> spending more for a car than I did my first two houses. TIA for any
> "counseling" that can be provided.
>
> Tom
> 92 Red

Just as a note, the 2006 model is offering a 7.0L 427 "small block"
engine... 500hp and 7000rpm redline. Slightly more info at:
http://www.chevrolet.com/corvettez06/