2000 Parking Brake Doesn't Work

Old February 1st 05, 03:05 AM

Default 2000 Parking Brake Doesn't Work

I park on a sloped driveway and my 2000 Explorer parking brake can't
hold the vehicle in place. I've been to the dealer twice to have the
brake adjusted and the result is that the brake feels much firmer and
it holds well. After a mon th or two it loosens up to the point where
the brake can't hold. During the third dealer visit I was told that the
rear brake shoes were just too small to hold the SUV in place, and
there is nothing I can do. Dealer suggested I put a block under the
tire. Good Ford advise for a 5-year old vehicle, huh?

Anyone know of a fix? I had a 1993 Explorer that had similar problems,
but an adjustment every year or two seemed to do the trick. The
problems I'm having with the 2000 model seem more severe ... to the
point where it is unsafe to park on any incline.

Help.

Old February 1st 05, 07:22 AM
Paul Scrutton

I left mine too long, and the remaining brake pad was insufficent to hold
the vehicle in place. I had the rear brakes and parking brake re-done, and
the vehicle now holds in place fine. It did cost a large amount of $$, as
just about every component on the brakes needed to be replaced (calipers for
rear disc/shoes for parking brake/pads etc.)but it's all fixed now and works
well.

I'd humbly suggest that you visit another dealer.

Paul

ups.com...

Old February 2nd 05, 01:34 AM
Rock Daddeo

Thanks. The shoes are not the problem here. Dealer stated they were in
good shape (less than 1 year old). I also forgot to mention that my
Explorer is a 5-speed standard transmission, making it more critical to
have good hold on the brakes.

An entire rebuild of the brakes is not an option for me. A more
practical solution is to trade it in on an SUV that is engineered a bit
better.

Old February 2nd 05, 08:28 AM
Jim Warman

Unless you live in San Francisco or similar, I can't be sure what the
trouble is. The usual test for E-brakes (with manual trans) is to see if you
can stall the motor.... (e-brake applied, let out the clutch). I haven't
heard of any short-comings with any park brakes...... Ma Ford wouldn't like
short-comings with park brakes.... the liability would be a company killer.
If your current shop cannot offer a resolution to your concern, I would
suggest getting a second opinion.

ups.com...

Old February 2nd 05, 12:08 PM
Vic Klein

Just a comment, I have never been thrilled with the parking brake in my '97
XLT with manual trans. It rarely will hold the vehicle on its own on a hill
of any size even when really stomping down on the pedal. I've had the shoes
replaced and the cable adjusted, but it still doesn't work very well and
made little difference. I suspect the cable just binds somehow, or doesn't
have the right mechanical advantage to those little drums. The truck is so
reliable and comfortable otherwise that I have just tolerated this...always
leaving it in gear when parked of course.

=Vic=
Bear Gap, PA

Old February 3rd 05, 03:42 AM
Fred 2

Actually the parking brake shoes are adjusted via a starwheel through
the backing plate, the cable itself is not adjustable is not used to
adust the parking brakes.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 07:08:37 -0500, "Vic Klein" >
wrote:

>Just a comment, I have never been thrilled with the parking brake in my '97
>XLT with manual trans. It rarely will hold the vehicle on its own on a hill
>of any size even when really stomping down on the pedal. I've had the shoes
>replaced and the cable adjusted, but it still doesn't work very well and
>made little difference. I suspect the cable just binds somehow, or doesn't
>have the right mechanical advantage to those little drums. The truck is so
>reliable and comfortable otherwise that I have just tolerated this...always
>leaving it in gear when parked of course.
>
>=Vic=
>Bear Gap, PA

Ford Contour and Focus, Mercury Mystique Parking Brake won't hold John Clonts Technology 1 January 25th 05 01:50 AM
Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 03:42 PM
Parking brake on C5 C5John Corvette 6 January 13th 05 04:58 PM
Parking Brake Stuck Ralf Technology 0 December 19th 04 04:19 AM