I need a better winter car...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 2nd 05, 10:14 PM
Bradburn Fentress

"Corey Shuman" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Cruisers, seriously... well, at the risk of trolling I would venture
> that a stock Rangie would eat a stock Cruiser for breakfast.

You'd be venturing off course. Be careful of the hype....."Bigger
Nuts"...."Best4x4xFar"....and all that jivin' cosmic debris.

Land Cruiser is the preeminent full lineup of 4x4s in the world. I suspect
you simply don't have any perspective for what types of vehicles they
distribute throughout the world. Don't get hung up on the soccer-mom-mobiles
you see here. The US, and in fact most Western countries, only get the
pretty ones. I don't know anybody with any experience who would choose a LR
over a LC, if capability and strength were the only issue. Unfortunately
things like service and parts come into play and post-british colonial
countries tend to be supplied for LR's in greater amount than they are LCs
because of those relationships.

If you hit the Middle East, which in my view is about as difficult as
overall conditions get, you won't see many LR's. It is almost all Japanese
from Pajeros, to Patrols, to LC's. Neither the Jeep nor the LR's measure up
to those vehicles. And who knows precisely what the new Defender will bring
to the table. I think it gets shown at Geneva in the next couple days, with
a release later this year.

Really, anyone who claims differently simply doesn't have the experience to
know any better. Sorry.

And just for purpose of being factual: The Defenders sold in Australia are
actually South African models. The only model specific to Australia (I
think) was the Defender fitted with BMW's 2.8 petrol engine...some years
ago. The SA models will likely remain as the "Classic" and only sold in
countries where they still will meet emission, safety and other vehicle
legislation.

Our British friends on this ng could correct me if I am wrong about models
and release dates.