Where is Leon ?

Old January 31st 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
miker[_2_]

Default Where is Leon ?

> The last time I was in northern Australia, I had somebody
> ask me if people in Minnesota really go ice fishing or if it
> was just something funny invented by the writers of the movie
> "Grumpy Old Men".

Speaking of movies, I just saw "New in Town" and we're about to be deluged
with Minnesota-accent jokes just like we were after "Fargo"...

For the record, I don't know anyone in Minnesota who speaks like or is in
any way like any character from all three movies, and no one with any sense
would drive thru Bemidji (or Brainerd, forgot which it was) on their way
from Fargo to Minneapolis. We do have wood chippers tho.

miker

Old February 1st 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Joe Feise

BRUCE HASKIN wrote on 01/29/09 19:42:

> Say, did Leon come back over to your side of the pond ? He is MIA from
> the NG. I know his white MX-5 is fast, but I sure hope he didn't try to
> drive it back home.

I recently saw a white Miata, and had to think of Leon's claim that they are
faster than others.
So, I checked back here, since I haven't been here in a while, and find that
Leon is gone. What a shame.

-Joe

Old February 1st 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Grant Edwards

On 2009-01-31, miker > wrote:

>> The last time I was in northern Australia, I had somebody ask
>> me if people in Minnesota really go ice fishing or if it was
>> just something funny invented by the writers of the movie
>> "Grumpy Old Men".

> Speaking of movies, I just saw "New in Town" and we're about
> to be deluged with Minnesota-accent jokes just like we were
> after "Fargo"...

I just read a review of "New in Town" where the critic was
making fun of the name of the town featured in the movie: "New
Ulm". The ignorant dolt apparently had no clue either that New
Ulm is a real town (which is home of one of the oldest
breweries in the US) or it's named after New Ulm in Germany.

> For the record, I don't know anyone in Minnesota who speaks
> like or is in any way like any character from all three
> movies,

I have run into people from rural areas in central Minnesota
who have a milder version of the Marge Gunderson accent and
mannerisms. All of the Coen brother's characters tend to be
somewhat caricatured.

> and no one with any sense would drive thru Bemidji (or
> Brainerd, forgot which it was) on their way from Fargo to
> Minneapolis.

I think it was Brainerd, and you're right. Interstate 94 runs
straight from Fargo to Minneapolis and doesn't go anywhere near
Brainerd or Bimidgi. Even if you took the "scenic route" down
US Highway 10, you still wouldn't go through Brainerd unless
you went 50 miles out of your way to do so. I don't remember
any plot point that attempted to explain the detour or not, but
it would have made more sense if it was Saint Cloud or
Alexandria instead of Brainerd.

> We do have wood chippers tho.

That we do.

--
Grant

Hey Leon! [email protected] Mazda 32 March 26th 06 03:06 AM
Leon shows off the 'other side' of his brain Chris D'Agnolo Mazda 5 October 16th 05 11:18 PM
Alfasud-Seat Leon Bert Kanters Alfa Romeo 6 July 25th 05 07:40 PM