Spark options after HEI install?

Old June 30th 05, 03:50 AM
Jumpin' Jiminy

I'm very happy with the upgrade. It idles a lot smoother, especially
when damp out. I get more power at low end and this means I don't have
to drop a gear when crawling along in 2nd and I need a surge of power.
My gas mileage has also improved.
I still had a lot of problems with my Champion plugs.
As far as I am concerned Copper Champs are a POS.
I crossed over to a set of Autolites and they are performing reliably.

With the HEI you should regap your plugs to at least .045" to take
advantage of the fatter spark.

JJ

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:30:55 GMT, "Pi-Eyed Piper" >
wrote:

>are you happy with what it did for your heep?

.. .

Old July 4th 05, 03:38 AM
Jeff Scherb

I used the standard plugs for the engine, but increased the gap to 0.050.

I also tried the Crane adjustable advance kit, and found that all
combinations of the Crane springs provided too much advance and led to
preignition, so I ended up using the stock GM HEI distributor springs. I
get great performance and no preignition using the stock GM springs.