Phatnoise

Old May 9th 05, 10:10 PM
Don Mac Phee

Default Phatnoise

Does anyone know why there is a sudden drop in price for this system? Is
there something on the horizon?

-Don

Old May 9th 05, 11:31 PM
Wm Donley

In article <tlQfe.3697$Fv.1255@lakeread01>,
"Don Mac Phee" > wrote:

> Does anyone know why there is a sudden drop in price for this system? Is
> there something on the horizon?
>
> -Don

Ipods. Usable at home, also. Cheaper, better software. I looked both
the remote cd deck, and the PN, and bought an Ipod. More versatile, and
less money. At the original price, the Phatnoise was way overpriced. At
$119.00, it's a pretty good deal. 20 gigs'll store a lot of music...Bill
Old May 10th 05, 05:50 AM
wkearney99

> Ipods. Usable at home, also. Cheaper, better software. I looked both
> the remote cd deck, and the PN, and bought an Ipod. More versatile, and
> less money. At the original price, the Phatnoise was way overpriced. At
> $119.00, it's a pretty good deal. 20 gigs'll store a lot of music...Bill

How usable, if at all, are the PN boxes with other head units? At that
price they might be useful in a crappy old jeep of mine...

I'm inclined to follow your thinking on the better versatility angle of the
ipod. But considering the ipod itself is going to be (at least) $199 and
then you have to add another (at least) $150 for some sort of interface box
it's hard to argue against the economics of the PN box (at that price).

That and if the PN plays WM9 encoded audio then it'd be a lot more efficient
at storage.

Old May 10th 05, 07:00 AM
Wm Donley

In article >,
"wkearney99" > wrote:
> I'm inclined to follow your thinking on the better versatility angle of the
> ipod. But considering the ipod itself is going to be (at least) $199 and
> then you have to add another (at least) $150 for some sort of interface box

Interface box? You can use anything from an FM broadcaster {$19.00}, to
a cassette adapter, if you've got a deck. The best quality {and
cheapest} is if your deck has an input for an external CD player, get a
cable and put it in thru there. Less then $10.00.
For me, the coolest thing is the utility of the IPod. Goes inside,
plugs into my home stereo. Off to work, into my drum studio, etc. It's
even gone along in my tankbag for long moto trips.
OTOH, if your a Windows user, and you can get it hooked up to your
Jeep's stereo, $119.00's a screaming deal. Try The BusDepot. If it
doesn't work, you could probably pick up a VW OEM deck that's been
pulled for an upgrade pretty cheaply{free}........Bill D.
Old May 10th 05, 02:11 PM
TREE

Wm Donley > wrote:
> In article <tlQfe.3697$Fv.1255@lakeread01>,
> "Don Mac Phee" > wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know why there is a sudden drop in price for this system? Is
>> there something on the horizon?
>>
>> -Don

> Ipods. Usable at home, also. Cheaper, better software. I looked both
> the remote cd deck, and the PN, and bought an Ipod. More versatile, and
> less money. At the original price, the Phatnoise was way overpriced. At
> $119.00, it's a pretty good deal. 20 gigs'll store a lot of music...Bill

ipods do not have better software for the car. Nothing I've seen can
beat the eyes-on-the-road interface of the phatbox.

--
-TREE >
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too

Old May 10th 05, 04:03 PM
Jaime

I don't think it has anything to do with Ipods. Check PhatNoise website, all
the other PBs (BMW, Infiniti, etc.) are still the same price. The reason for
the drop is probably due to the new models of Jettas. I assume a new PB for
the new models will be out soon.

Yes, if your HU has a connection, you could connect the Ipod that way or use
a FM adapter for truely crappy sound, but if you want to actually control
the Ipod, you have to spend around $150 and you still don't get the elegant
solution that the Phatbox delivers.

Personally, I have no need for a MP3 player to be portable; the only time I
listen to music is at home or in the car or at work. I would much rather use
my stereo and listen to CDs at home, in the car I have the Phatbox, and at
work my PC is synced the Phatbox so I have access to the same music.

-- James
"Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is."
- Dr. B. Banzai

Old May 10th 05, 04:33 PM
Jaime

Actually, the Ipod kits for factory radios are $200 (just checked the
BestBuy prices) and I noticed that you can only access your first 5
playlists.

Old May 10th 05, 05:18 PM
Tom

Wm Donley wrote:

> In article <tlQfe.3697$Fv.1255@lakeread01>,
> "Don Mac Phee" > wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know why there is a sudden drop in price for this system? Is
> > there something on the horizon?
> >
> > -Don

> Ipods. Usable at home, also. Cheaper, better software. I looked both
> the remote cd deck, and the PN, and bought an Ipod. More versatile, and
> less money. At the original price, the Phatnoise was way overpriced. At
> $119.00, it's a pretty good deal. 20 gigs'll store a lot of music...Bill

Where can you buy one for $119?
Old May 10th 05, 05:29 PM
Wm Donley

http://busdepot.com/ Bill
Old May 10th 05, 05:35 PM
Jaime

If you search this forum, you'll find several references.

However, here's a place with one for $109 (plus shipping)

http://www.byers.vwdealer.com/en_US/