NTSB Wants Black Boxes in Passenger Vehicles

Old November 25th 04, 01:46 PM
Matt Whiting

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>

>>I can't help but wonder how long before the insurance companies start
>>looking at that since, from there perspective, they are being routinely
>>"cheated" out of raising rates and cancelling policies, and it messes up
>>their actuarials.
>>

> Bill, Bill Bill, haven't you yet realized that the insurance companies
> already know
> that there is no connection between accident rates and a moderate number of
> traffic tickets, espically speeding tickets?

Do you have any data to support this? I've always wondered what the
correlation is between citations people get and accidents, but I've
never seen any data on this.

Matt

Old November 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Matt Whiting

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> So no I really don't have much respect for cops that regularly write out
> speeding tickets. If the cops really wanted to reduce speeding they would
> park a clearly marked police car in a highly visible section of the highway
> and sit there for a few hours with the bubble-gum lights turning on the
> top. Anything other than this is just a revenue generator.

Sounds like you do a lot of speeding, eh, Ted?

I have no problem with police setting speed traps and enforcing speeding
laws. I seldom speed and haven't had a speeding ticket in probably 20
years. If you don't speed, then a speed trap doesn't affect you and
doesn't generate any revenue.

Keep in mind that cops don't set speed limits. If you don't like them,
don't blame the cops who enforce them, blame the politicos who set them.
And if you want them changed, lobby to get it done.

PA just recently repealed its motorcycle helmet law. I don't agree with
this and will continue to always wear mine, but I'll admit to be
impressed by the motorcyclists who got off their butts and got something
changed that they didn't like. It took many years of research and
lobbying, but they got it done. As I said, I think it is stupid to not
wear a helmet, but I admire folks who quit whining and make something
happen ... legally.

Maybe you should try it.

Matt

Old November 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Matt Whiting

Old November 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Bill Putney

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> "Bill Putney" > wrote in message
>

>>I can't help but wonder how long before the insurance companies start
>>looking at that since, from there perspective, they are being routinely
>>"cheated" out of raising rates and cancelling policies, and it messes up
>>their actuarials.
>>

> Bill, Bill Bill, haven't you yet realized that the insurance companies
> already know
> that there is no connection between accident rates and a moderate number of
> traffic tickets, espically speeding tickets?

In my best Johnny Carson voice: "I did not know that!".

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old November 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Bill Putney

Old November 25th 04, 05:41 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Just for explanation, are you saying it is not compulsory to wear helmets in
PA while rising a motorbike?

On what grounds?

DAS
---

[...]

Old November 25th 04, 05:41 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Old November 25th 04, 10:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Dori A Schmetterling wrote:
> Just for explanation, are you saying it is not compulsory to wear helmets in
> PA while rising a motorbike?

Yes, that is what I am saying. The compulsory helmet law was repealed
about a year ago.

> On what grounds?

On the grounds that the legislature repealed the law that had required them.

Matt

Old November 25th 04, 10:03 PM
Matt Whiting

Old January 11th 05, 03:13 PM