Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensors?

Old December 21st 06, 09:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default Camshaft and Crankshaft Sensors?

> "maxpower" > wrote:

> Nope, not a reflash problem. If this person had a good scan tool he would be
> able to monitor the inputs and outputs of all sensors while the problem was
> happening, if they didn't see anything on the scan tool the next thing would
> be to do a fuel pressure test.

Just got off the phone with him. He said he was able to do that and was
surprised that he didn't see anything when the vehicle would die. I
asked him about the fuel pressure test and he said they inserted a fuel
pressure meter in line (had a Schrader type valve fitting on it) and
didn't see any drop of pressure when it died.

> Sounds to me like they didn't want to get involved in the problem and want
> to blow it off to the dealer.
> My opinion

Yeah, possibly. They're not charging me anything and the guy requested
that I call him and let him know what the dealership finds out.

Old December 21st 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> > "maxpower" > wrote:

> > Nope, not a reflash problem. If this person had a good scan tool he

would be
> > able to monitor the inputs and outputs of all sensors while the problem

was
> > happening, if they didn't see anything on the scan tool the next thing

would
> > be to do a fuel pressure test.

> Just got off the phone with him. He said he was able to do that and was
> surprised that he didn't see anything when the vehicle would die. I
> asked him about the fuel pressure test and he said they inserted a fuel
> pressure meter in line (had a Schrader type valve fitting on it) and
> didn't see any drop of pressure when it died.
>
> > Sounds to me like they didn't want to get involved in the problem and

want
> > to blow it off to the dealer.
> > My opinion

> Yeah, possibly. They're not charging me anything and the guy requested
> that I call him and let him know what the dealership finds out.

There are ways to look at the adaptive fuel memories to see if the vehicle
is running lean or rich at the time the vehicle was acting up, our scan tool
will show what is called a secondary indicator meaning if it picks up a
glitch in a sensor that is to fast to set a mature fault it will alert the
technician what fault is trying to be set. we also use a tool called the
Co-Pilot which will take a picture of everything the engine controller is
doing so many seconds before and after the problem occurs. Maybe find a
dealer that has a good diagnostician that will tell you what the problem is.
Just curious what state are you in?

Glenn

Old December 21st 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> > "maxpower" > wrote:

> > There are ways to look at the adaptive fuel memories to see if the

vehicle
> > is running lean or rich at the time the vehicle was acting up, our scan

tool
> > will show what is called a secondary indicator meaning if it picks up a
> > glitch in a sensor that is to fast to set a mature fault it will alert

the
> > technician what fault is trying to be set. we also use a tool called the
> > Co-Pilot which will take a picture of everything the engine controller

is
> > doing so many seconds before and after the problem occurs.

> Very interesting.
>
> > Maybe find a
> > dealer that has a good diagnostician that will tell you what the problem

is.
> > Just curious what state are you in?

> I'm in Minnesota and in my area the only dealer that can look at it
> before next Wednesday is Shakopee Dodge. (My area means within 15 miles
> of my house, or the approximate distance I can drive before the car
> warms up and starts dropping out.) Other dealers close by are Park
> Jeep/Chrysler (Burnsville), Walser Chrysler/Jeep (Hopkins), Bloomington
> Chrysler/Jeep, and Dodge of Burnsville.

Not in my area

Old December 21st 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Old December 22nd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

> aarcuda69062 > wrote:

> You might give Quinn's Automotive on Chestnut Blvd. a try.

I've already got an appointment at Shakopee Dodge for next Tuesday
morning, but I might call Quinn's anyway.

Old December 22nd 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

More info.

I drove the car home from the shop last night. As soon as I started it,
the Service Engine Soon light was on. I got about 2/3 of the way home
before the first stall out. This happened while stopped at a stop light
while idling. Engine starts stumbling, tach is bouncing down, then back
to idle, then down and it dies. Put it in park, turned key off, turn
key on, cranked engine and continued on my way. About a mile later same
thing happened--died while idling at a stop sign. Put it in park,
restart car. The last time it died I was making a right turn (via a
separate turn lane where I didn't need to come to a stop) when car
simply quit. Put in neutral while rolling and restarted and continued
home.

Once I got home I checked the error code. My old friend, error code 54.

Knowing it doesn't die when cold, I use the vehicle to bring my kids to
school this morning. On the way home the Service Engine Soon light
winks out. Error code 54 is still present.

Old December 22nd 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Knifeblade_03[_105_]

por, I have a bad feeling you are chasing the same end of the tail,
without listening for other ways to diagnose.

--
Knifeblade_03
Knifeblade_03's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=262826

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old December 22nd 06, 06:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

> Knifeblade_03 wrote:

> por, I have a bad feeling you are chasing the same end of the tail,
> without listening for other ways to diagnose.

As I've said, it's going to the dealership on Tuesday. I just thought
Maxpower and others would want an update as to what was going on.

Old December 22nd 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

> wrote in message
ps.com...

> More info.
>
> I drove the car home from the shop last night. As soon as I started it,
> the Service Engine Soon light was on. I got about 2/3 of the way home
> before the first stall out. This happened while stopped at a stop light
> while idling. Engine starts stumbling, tach is bouncing down, then back
> to idle, then down and it dies. Put it in park, turned key off, turn
> key on, cranked engine and continued on my way. About a mile later same
> thing happened--died while idling at a stop sign. Put it in park,
> restart car. The last time it died I was making a right turn (via a
> separate turn lane where I didn't need to come to a stop) when car
> simply quit. Put in neutral while rolling and restarted and continued
> home.
>
> Once I got home I checked the error code. My old friend, error code 54.
>
> Knowing it doesn't die when cold, I use the vehicle to bring my kids to
> school this morning. On the way home the Service Engine Soon light
> winks out. Error code 54 is still present.

Since your losing the tach signal it is related to the crank sensor/circuit.
When you put the crank sensor in, did you make sure it was pushed in all
the way? I don't have time to read all the replies but remember you
mentioning something about the paper.

Glenn