Ford Fusion reverse gear

Old July 1st 09, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Hal

Default Ford Fusion reverse gear

> According to the WSM, the G5M-5 trans has a synchronized reverse..... Can
> the shift lever be moved into the reverse gear position? Are there any
> abnormal noises? If so, when do they occur? How many miles are on the car?

I've opened two G5M's, and see no evidence to support synchronized
reverse. Further proof is when you try to go into reverse immediately
after pressing the clutch without letting the input shaft spin down.
It grinds. Both of my G5M's did it. The FSM I have says it's got a
sync'd reverse. I don't believe it. If you look at how the linkage
works, there is a straight-cut gear that flips upward to link the
input and output shafts and reverse the direction of the output in the
process of doing so. There is no syncronizer on the reverse fork that
I can see.

As far as the symptom that the OP is mentioning, it sounds like
something went casters-up in the linkage inside the box. Might be
easier to find a good used junkyard transaxle and put that into the
car and fix the one you have as time permits. At only 30k the bearings
and syncronizers -should- be in perfect shape, so the repair might be
as simple as replacing one or two hard parts and resealing the case
halves. The fact that the forward gears are still working is a very
good sign. The G5M isn't terribly hard to take apart, I did mine with
a a few sockets and a hammer and punch to remove the roll pin from the
5th gear fork. Before you get too far into the repair just remember
that the differential side gears in the G5M's I've worked on are not
self-supporting. You -must- put a PVC pipe or wooden dowel in the hole
for the CV axle once you pull the first axle out, or you will get to
re-align the differential gears. Ask me how I know...I got a 2,000
mile mint used example shipped to me, sans supports for the
differential gears, and had to open the box to fix it.

Chris
Old July 1st 09, 06:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,alt.autos.ford
Toyota MDT in MO

Hal wrote:
>> According to the WSM, the G5M-5 trans has a synchronized reverse..... Can
>> the shift lever be moved into the reverse gear position? Are there any
>> abnormal noises? If so, when do they occur? How many miles are on the car?
>>

> I've opened two G5M's, and see no evidence to support synchronized
> reverse. Further proof is when you try to go into reverse immediately
> after pressing the clutch without letting the input shaft spin down.
> It grinds. Both of my G5M's did it. The FSM I have says it's got a
> sync'd reverse. I don't believe it. If you look at how the linkage
> works, there is a straight-cut gear that flips upward to link the
> input and output shafts and reverse the direction of the output in the
> process of doing so. There is no syncronizer on the reverse fork that
> I can see.
>
> As far as the symptom that the OP is mentioning, it sounds like
> something went casters-up in the linkage inside the box. Might be
> easier to find a good used junkyard transaxle and put that into the
> car and fix the one you have as time permits. At only 30k the bearings
> and syncronizers -should- be in perfect shape, so the repair might be
> as simple as replacing one or two hard parts and resealing the case
> halves. The fact that the forward gears are still working is a very
> good sign. The G5M isn't terribly hard to take apart, I did mine with
> a a few sockets and a hammer and punch to remove the roll pin from the
> 5th gear fork. Before you get too far into the repair just remember
> that the differential side gears in the G5M's I've worked on are not
> self-supporting. You -must- put a PVC pipe or wooden dowel in the hole
> for the CV axle once you pull the first axle out, or you will get to
> re-align the differential gears. Ask me how I know...I got a 2,000
> mile mint used example shipped to me, sans supports for the
> differential gears, and had to open the box to fix it.
>
> Chris

Yup, on many transaxles the norm is to do away with any machined hub on
the back of the side gears (probably saves a penny), so it is always
wise to secure any unfamiliar differential side gear with a suitable
pipe or what-have-you during axle removal. Bet you're an expert on that
gearbox now, huh?! :-)

--
Toyota MDT in MO