99 explorer power windows and overdrive switch not working

Old November 4th 06, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TimNC

Default 99 explorer power windows and overdrive switch not working

First, I am a new member of this forum but have been reading it for
some time for help repairing my 99 expl. and so far have found answers
to my explorer's many glitches. But now I've run into something I can't
settle from reading. I am almost certain that this is connected.
First, my rear window wiper stopped working after a time of
intermittent operation. Then all power windows stopped working.
Before they completely stopped they worked intermittently. Later I
noticed the Overdrive switch located on the gear selector doesn't work.
I haven't tried the 4wd so I can't say whether it works or not. I
suspect a relay or some module. Any help is greatly appreciated or
it's off to the dealership which makes my wallet nervous - and lighter.

Tim
Greensboro NC

Old November 5th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

TimNC wrote:
> First, I am a new member of this forum but have been reading it for
> some time for help repairing my 99 expl. and so far have found answers
> to my explorer's many glitches. But now I've run into something I can't
> settle from reading. I am almost certain that this is connected.
> First, my rear window wiper stopped working after a time of
> intermittent operation. Then all power windows stopped working.
> Before they completely stopped they worked intermittently. Later I
> noticed the Overdrive switch located on the gear selector doesn't work.
> I haven't tried the 4wd so I can't say whether it works or not. I
> suspect a relay or some module. Any help is greatly appreciated or
> it's off to the dealership which makes my wallet nervous - and lighter.

Check your owner's guide. Look up the fuses. Is there a fuse in common
with the circuits that are not working?

If it's not that, I can't help. More and more of these things are being
taken care of by computers. My dodge minivan has a "body computer" that
handles lights, locks, the instrument panel, etc.
-Paul

Old November 6th 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TimNC

Thanks Paul. I've tested all the fuses - those related and unrelated
since I find the electical system confusing at best. I yearn for the
days when everything just have wires and fuses and relays. Anyway,
I've tested everything I could think of without success. I'm thinking
it could be a relay but I'm not sure of which one to check. If no one
can help on this forum then I think I will attempt to move the relays
around until something happens. Just hope it isn't bad. Of course
there's always the dealership.

Tim

Old November 10th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
TimNC

Today I moved around all the relays in the fuse/relay box under the
hood without any luck. I've been researching online a bit more and a
control module called a GEM keeps surfacing. Does this module control
the windows, o/d switch, rear wiper?

Tim