Electric Spark noise from under dash when turning ignition key

Old April 25th 09, 02:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

Default Electric Spark noise from under dash when turning ignition key

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> "Pszemol" > wrote in
> :
>

>> I am not sure if you read this carefully - I am UNABLE to repeat
>> the same in toyota. The key at some point makes the contact
>> and this is it: no buzzing, no arcing - the starter is engaged and
>> it is turning.
>>
>> But it does not happen with honda - at some angle of the turned key
>> the starter relay is just buzzing, not making the contact... The weak
>> ignition switch is strugling to close the circuit of the starter relay
>> coil AND at the same point RELAY'S OWN POWER CONTACTS!
>> This should not happen!

> If you're so concerned, why don't you just sell this car and buy another
> Toyota?

Well, my 2-door accord looks more pretty than toyota ;-)

> There are no TSBs or other known issues with your model's ignition system,
> so whatever you're seeing isn't the problem you think it is. Maybe that's
> why the dealership told you nothing was wrong.

The mechanic should not tell me nothing is wrong without seeing the car
and hearing the noise himself. That was in my opinion not very professional.

Old April 25th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_3_]

Pszemol wrote:
<snip for clarity>

> The mechanic should not tell me nothing is wrong without seeing the car
> and hearing the noise himself. That was in my opinion not very
> professional.

ygtbfsm.

in our next segment, "professional" psychic vehicle diagnostics!!! more
news at 11.
Old April 25th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_2_]

Pszemol wrote:

> 2004 Accord 2 door EX-L.
>
> Is it normal that I hear some heavy electric sparking from some relay under
> the dashboard when I turn the ignition key slower than normal?
>
> I took it to the dealership today and they told me (without hearing, just
> based on description) that that is normal and all hondas do that.
>
> If this is normal - does it cause premature relay contacts wear out from all
> this sparking?

Pszemol,
Here is what Honda has to say about the subject:

From Honda ServiceNews October 2001

Starter Relay Buzzes
If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start
the engine, all Honda models except Passport
have this little quirk: the starter relay buzzes. If
your customer complains about it, don’t spend
your time trying to fix it; there’s really nothing
wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition
switch a little faster, and the relay won’t buzz.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old April 25th 09, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

TomP > wrote in
:

> Pszemol wrote:
>
>> 2004 Accord 2 door EX-L.
>>
>> Is it normal that I hear some heavy electric sparking from some relay
>> under the dashboard when I turn the ignition key slower than normal?
>>
>> I took it to the dealership today and they told me (without hearing,
>> just based on description) that that is normal and all hondas do
>> that.
>>
>> If this is normal - does it cause premature relay contacts wear out
>> from all this sparking?

> Pszemol,
> Here is what Honda has to say about the subject:
>
> From Honda ServiceNews October 2001
>
> Starter Relay Buzzes
> If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start
> the engine, all Honda models except Passport
> have this little quirk: the starter relay buzzes. If
> your customer complains about it, don’t spend
> your time trying to fix it; there’s really nothing
> wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition
> switch a little faster, and the relay won’t buzz.

Now why didn't I look that one up myself? I have that issue, too.

I wonder if the Chev Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire do this also? They have a
similar "pump run" period at KOEO.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old April 26th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"TomP" > wrote in message
> Pszemol wrote:
>
>> 2004 Accord 2 door EX-L.
>>
>> Is it normal that I hear some heavy electric sparking from some relay
>> under
>> the dashboard when I turn the ignition key slower than normal?
>>
>> I took it to the dealership today and they told me (without hearing, just
>> based on description) that that is normal and all hondas do that.
>>
>> If this is normal - does it cause premature relay contacts wear out from
>> all
>> this sparking?

> Pszemol,
> Here is what Honda has to say about the subject:
>
> From Honda ServiceNews October 2001
>
> Starter Relay Buzzes
> If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start
> the engine, all Honda models except Passport
> have this little quirk: the starter relay buzzes. If
> your customer complains about it, don't spend
> your time trying to fix it; there's really nothing
> wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition
> switch a little faster, and the relay won't buzz.

Interesting, thank you...

So it is starter relay, not the fuel pump relay, Tegger?
Have I misunderstood you were mentioning something
about different fuel pump wiring in toyota? Please explain...

Old April 26th 09, 05:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_3_]

Pszemol wrote:
> "TomP" > wrote in message
>> Pszemol wrote:
>>
>>> 2004 Accord 2 door EX-L.
>>>
>>> Is it normal that I hear some heavy electric sparking from some relay
>>> under
>>> the dashboard when I turn the ignition key slower than normal?
>>>
>>> I took it to the dealership today and they told me (without hearing,
>>> just
>>> based on description) that that is normal and all hondas do that.
>>>
>>> If this is normal - does it cause premature relay contacts wear out
>>> from all
>>> this sparking?

>> Pszemol,
>> Here is what Honda has to say about the subject:
>>
>> From Honda ServiceNews October 2001
>>
>> Starter Relay Buzzes
>> If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start
>> the engine, all Honda models except Passport
>> have this little quirk: the starter relay buzzes. If
>> your customer complains about it, don't spend
>> your time trying to fix it; there's really nothing
>> wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition
>> switch a little faster, and the relay won't buzz.

> Interesting, thank you...
>
> So it is starter relay, not the fuel pump relay, Tegger?
> Have I misunderstood you were mentioning something
> about different fuel pump wiring in toyota? Please explain...

give it up dip****. the only problem with your vehicle is the loose
screw behind the steering wheel.

Old April 26th 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> Interesting, thank you...
>>
>> So it is starter relay, not the fuel pump relay, Tegger?
>> Have I misunderstood you were mentioning something
>> about different fuel pump wiring in toyota? Please explain...

> give it up dip****. the only problem with your vehicle
> is the loose screw behind the steering wheel.

Don't be such a cave man, jim... where are you manners?

Old April 26th 09, 03:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> So it is starter relay, not the fuel pump relay, Tegger?

The fuel pump relay.

> Have I misunderstood you were mentioning something
> about different fuel pump wiring in toyota? Please explain...

The Toyota setup passes no current to the fuel pump until the engine is
turning (when key is turned to "start"). The Honda setup passes current to
the fuel pump for two seconds when the key is first turned to "II" (BEFORE
the key is turned to "start").

If no current is passed, no relay activity is possible.

Old April 26th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Pszemol" > wrote in
> :
>

>> So it is starter relay, not the fuel pump relay, Tegger?

> The fuel pump relay.
>

>> Have I misunderstood you were mentioning something
>> about different fuel pump wiring in toyota? Please explain...
>>

> The Toyota setup passes no current to the fuel pump until the engine is
> turning (when key is turned to "start"). The Honda setup passes current to
> the fuel pump for two seconds when the key is first turned to "II" (BEFORE
> the key is turned to "start").

and the honda way is the /right/ way.

Old April 26th 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message
>> So it is starter relay, not the fuel pump relay, Tegger?

> The fuel pump relay.

As you probably noticed, I was refering to the text written by honda
titled "Starter Relay Buzzes". Is honda wrong claiming it is starter relay?

>> Have I misunderstood you were mentioning something
>> about different fuel pump wiring in toyota? Please explain...

> The Toyota setup passes no current to the fuel pump until the engine is
> turning (when key is turned to "start"). The Honda setup passes current to
> the fuel pump for two seconds when the key is first turned to "II" (BEFORE
> the key is turned to "start").

I understand the statement you make about the differences between
the honda and toyota designs in respect to powering fuel pump.

What I have found comparing STARTER wiring diagrams between
these two cars has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Honda service
buileting also references STARTER relay, not fuel pump relay...
Yet you still are talking about the fuel pump relay... why is that?

> If no current is passed, no relay activity is possible.

This statement is of course true, but which relay are we talking about?
If the relay is energized already in the ON position (II) than it cannot
be buzzing any way when I am turning the key from II to III position.
Is the state of the fuel pump relay changing when I turn the key from
II to III or does it stay energized?