55 oval carb question

Old November 19th 04, 04:37 PM
Howard Nelson

Default 55 oval carb question

I have a completely original 1955 oval ragtop. 51K miles. I have two
problems I believe are related to the fuel system. 1. When accelerating
there is a "flat" spot in the power output at what I would estimate is about
1/3 max rpm. Pulls strong off the line and no problem in 1st. then sort
of slumps in mid range rpms in 2,3, and 4th. Once in mid range RPM and
higher no problem. Perhaps connected to this is when the car sits for more
than 2-3 days I have to crank it for about 20-30 secs to start. I suspect
that the carb is drained of gas and I need to pull gas from the tank to the
carb in order to start it hence the long start time. If it has been just one
or two days it starts right up. Battery and starter seem strong. No smell of
gas leaking anywhere. Any troubleshooting advice would be helpful. Where
should I start? Carb is whatever originally came on this car (30hp 1200).
Thanks in Advance
Howard

---

Old November 20th 04, 03:19 AM
jjs

"Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
om...
>I have a completely original 1955 oval ragtop. 51K miles. I have two
> problems I believe are related to the fuel system. 1. When accelerating
> there is a "flat" spot in the power output

No ****. A 53 year-old Volkswagen and already it's falling apart.

Do you think just maybe the intake gaskets and carb should be, ah, like
REBUILT?

Old November 20th 04, 03:31 AM
Howard Nelson

"jjs" > wrote in message
> "Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
> om...
> >I have a completely original 1955 oval ragtop. 51K miles. I have two
> > problems I believe are related to the fuel system. 1. When accelerating
> > there is a "flat" spot in the power output

> No ****. A 53 year-old Volkswagen and already it's falling apart.
>
> Do you think just maybe the intake gaskets and carb should be, ah, like
> REBUILT?

Done at 49K and that was when the problem started.

Howard

---

Old November 20th 04, 03:37 AM
jjs

"Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
om...

> "jjs" > wrote in message
>> "Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> >I have a completely original 1955 oval ragtop. 51K miles. I have two
>> > problems I believe are related to the fuel system. 1. When accelerating
>> > there is a "flat" spot in the power output

>> No ****. A 53 year-old Volkswagen and already it's falling apart.
>>
>> Do you think just maybe the intake gaskets and carb should be, ah, like
>> REBUILT?
>>

> Done at 49K and that was when the problem started.

Sure. It ran perfectly for fifty years before it was fixed. Get ****ing
real.

Old November 20th 04, 04:57 AM
P.J.Berg

jjs wrote:
> "Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> "jjs" > wrote in message
>>> "Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
>>> om...
>>>
>>> No ****. A 53 year-old Volkswagen and already it's falling apart.
>>>
>>> Do you think just maybe the intake gaskets and carb should be, ah,
>>> like REBUILT?
>>>

>> Done at 49K and that was when the problem started.

> Sure. It ran perfectly for fifty years before it was fixed. Get
> ****ing real.

You realy need to get back on the beer Mr.Stafford... Grumpy does not
even cover it.... ]

J.

Old November 20th 04, 05:23 AM
Howard Nelson

"jjs" > wrote in message
> "Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
> om...
> >
> > "jjs" > wrote in message
> >> "Howard Nelson" > wrote in message
> >> om...

accelerating

> >> No ****. A 53 year-old Volkswagen and already it's falling apart.
> >>
> >> Do you think just maybe the intake gaskets and carb should be, ah, like
> >> REBUILT?
> >>

> > Done at 49K and that was when the problem started.

> Sure. It ran perfectly for fifty years before it was fixed. Get ****ing
> real.

You are right of course, I am sure that it didn't run perfectly for 50
years. My family bought it in 1955 and it was used as a daily driver in
northwestern Montana. It was the car I learned to drive in when I turned 14.
Used as a daily driver by one of my uncles until 1982 when it was parked in
a garage (and not run) until 1998 when I was asked if I wanted it. I went
and looked at it. No rust (garaged in a dry climate where salt not used on
roads) and just a few body dings. I had a local mechanic change all fluids
replace the battery and wheel cylinders, put new inner tubes in the tires
(1965 continental bias plys), clean mouse nests out of the cooling passages
and then I drove it to California. Spent about a year collecting needed
materials to get it as close to OEM as possible at this time (if anyone
knows source of stratosilver stayfast canvas sunroof material I would
appreciate the information). Had to remove gas heater, fender turn signals
and get semaphores rebuilt. Restoration was completed 2002 and I drive it
about 1000 miles a year. While plugs, points, coil, belts and spark plug
wires are new everything else in the engine compartment is original.

The problem I am describing started about 3 months after the engine had been
placed back in the car and I am at a loss to explain it. No obvious leaking
gaskets, float and accelerator pump seem to be working. 28 pic carb.

I must say I am at a bit of a loss trying to understand the tone of the
remarks this post has gotten. But then it is usenet .

Any help would be appreciated.

Howard

---

Old November 20th 04, 05:45 AM
Vw67lives

Sounds like a beautiful car you've got there and a real treasure knowing it's
history from day one.
I think you should get another 28 pic carb,preferably rebuilt,install it on the
car and see if it solves the problem. You could then save the old carb as a
spare or rebuild it again.
I agree with your wondering about the tone of your reply. Unfortunately this
group has diverged from it's original purpose or intent---to share knowledge of
air cooled VWs and help out other hobbyists with your knowledge. Seems to be
too much insider gossip and backbiting going on. Been involved here for over 6
yearsand it disturbs me too. Just my opinion-Fred67bug
Old November 20th 04, 05:56 AM
Howard Nelson

"Vw67lives" > wrote in message
> Sounds like a beautiful car you've got there and a real treasure knowing

it's
> history from day one.
> I think you should get another 28 pic carb,preferably rebuilt,install it

on the
> car and see if it solves the problem. You could then save the old carb as

> spare or rebuild it again.
> I agree with your wondering about the tone of your reply. Unfortunately

this
> group has diverged from it's original purpose or intent---to share

knowledge of
> air cooled VWs and help out other hobbyists with your knowledge. Seems to

be
> too much insider gossip and backbiting going on. Been involved here for

over 6
> yearsand it disturbs me too. Just my opinion-Fred67bug

Could you recommend a source for a 28 pic carb. I wanted to keep it as
original as possible but would certainly try a new carb since traffic moves
pretty quickly today and it would be nice to keep up.

Howard

---

Old November 20th 04, 06:01 AM
Scott H

"Howard Nelson" wrote ...
> You are right of course, I am sure that it didn't run perfectly for 50
> years. My family bought it in 1955 and it was used as a daily driver in
> northwestern Montana. It was the car I learned to drive in when I turned 14.
> Used as a daily driver by one of my uncles until 1982 when it was parked in
> a garage (and not run) until 1998 when I was asked if I wanted it. I went
> and looked at it. No rust (garaged in a dry climate where salt not used on
> roads) and just a few body dings. I had a local mechanic change all fluids
> replace the battery and wheel cylinders, put new inner tubes in the tires
> (1965 continental bias plys), clean mouse nests out of the cooling passages
> and then I drove it to California. Spent about a year collecting needed
> materials to get it as close to OEM as possible at this time

Terrific story.
I love hearing the provenance and history of a vehicle like this.
Never, never, never sell it. (but if you do ... gimme a call :-)

> (if anyone knows source of stratosilver stayfast canvas sunroof material I would
> appreciate the information).

I don't know for sure but I'd think that West Coast Classics would be a good bet for finding the material:
http://www.classicvws.com/index1.htm

> I must say I am at a bit of a loss trying to understand the tone of the
> remarks this post has gotten.

There's absolutely no reason for the remarks. Just consider the source and ignore it. Your killfile would come in handy there, you
wouldn't miss anything relevant.

> But then it is usenet .

Yep. :-)
Morons do run rampant.

Sorry I can't help with the carb question.
Good luck.

--
Scott