static electricity shock when exiting car (97 Accord) - anti-static straps?

Old May 13th 05, 02:06 AM

Default static electricity shock when exiting car (97 Accord) - anti-static straps?

Many are familiar with the static electricity problem when exiting
their car. Apparently it has something to do with some of the newer
tire compounds. I have heard solutions ranging from spraying cloth
seats with a fabric softener solution to "remembering" to touch the
metal frame before leaving your car.
I saw another option that seems much more practical.
I am wondering if these things actually work.
http://members.cox.net/ylosk/private...rth_ground.htm
If any of you have tried this type of solution please let me know it
works. Thanks

Old May 13th 05, 03:29 AM
James C. Reeves

I remember seeing these on many cars back in the 1960's. If they worked as
advertised, wouldn't they be required equipment on vehicles?

oups.com...

Old May 13th 05, 03:41 AM
y_p_w

> Many are familiar with the static electricity problem when exiting
> their car. Apparently it has something to do with some of the newer
> tire compounds. I have heard solutions ranging from spraying cloth
> seats with a fabric softener solution to "remembering" to touch the
> metal frame before leaving your car.
> I saw another option that seems much more practical.
> I am wondering if these things actually work.

http://members.cox.net/ylosk/private...rth_ground.htm
> If any of you have tried this type of solution please let me know it
> works. Thanks

I've seen grounding straps of all types for years. There's nothing
revolutionary. I suppose one problem is that dragging a piece of
metal across the ground can also cause sparks.
Old May 13th 05, 04:04 AM
« Paul »

> Many are familiar with the static electricity problem when exiting
> their car. Apparently it has something to do with some of the newer
> tire compounds. I have heard solutions ranging from spraying cloth
> seats with a fabric softener solution to "remembering" to touch the
> metal frame before leaving your car.
> I saw another option that seems much more practical.
> I am wondering if these things actually work.

http://members.cox.net/ylosk/private...rth_ground.htm
> If any of you have tried this type of solution please let me know it
> works. Thanks

That static charge is caused by sliding your synthetic covered butt
on a synthetic covered seat. An antistatic strap won't protect you
unless you wire it to yourself and throw it on the ground before getting out.
Then slide it on the ground when you walk.
The static is on you, not the car.
Simple physics.
Read up on it.
Old May 13th 05, 04:19 AM
TeGGeR®

"« Paul »" <"=?iso-8859-1?Q?=AB?= Paul > wrote in
:

> That static charge is caused by sliding your synthetic covered butt
> on a synthetic covered seat.

So does this mean I have to stop wearing polyester leisure suits? They're
back in style again, you know.

> An antistatic strap won't protect you
> unless you wire it to yourself and throw it on the ground before
> getting out. Then slide it on the ground when you walk.
> The static is on you, not the car.
> Simple physics.
> Read up on it.

Wanna see static? I'll show you static!
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/static.avi

Don't EVER get back into your car after putting the filler nozzle into the
filler neck!

I can't bear to show this one to my wife, she'd never dare to fill up ever
again!

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old May 13th 05, 05:15 AM
« Paul »

Yes. Women blow up at the gas pumps.
I have a number of videos of people blowing up.
I worked with API and PEI researching the static vs. gas dispenser issues.
We have not been able to come up with a solution other than education of
the pumping public. We use the vids in training sessions.
Old May 13th 05, 05:25 AM
Old Wolf

> Many are familiar with the static electricity problem when exiting
> their car. Apparently it has something to do with some of the newer
> tire compounds. I have heard solutions ranging from spraying cloth
> seats with a fabric softener solution to "remembering" to touch the
> metal frame before leaving your car.

In my Toyota, I clamp my hand firmly on the metal window frame,
then step out of my car, and remove my hand once the rest of
me is completely clear of the car. But sometimes the static
still occurs ( eg. if I let go my hand, then touch the car again
immediately, I get the zap ). So there must be more to it than
that.

Old May 13th 05, 08:40 AM
Erik

http://members.cox.net/ylosk/private...p_earth_ground
> .htm
> If any of you have tried this type of solution please let me know it
> works. Thanks

Static straps have been around forever. Back before they started
compounding conductive materials in tires, they were most popular.

I've installed a few for folks over the years, and have had better luck
trying to get them as close as possible to the 'track' line of either
the L or R tires... so the driver can straddle road debris without the
strap slapping everything. They don't look as good there though. An 'Old
Timer' mechanic friend tells me they occasionally get wrapped up in, and
are ripped off by road debris, and should be mounted so they can break
away without doing damage to the vehicle.

Some large aircraft have then to this day, they're small, and hang down
between the tires of the main landing gear 'bogie trucks'.

Aircraft of all descriptions are always grounded before fueling... if
being fueled from a truck, the A/C and truck are also grounded together.

Spraying your car seats down with some of that laundry anti static spray
stuff will help some... they also used to sell it at Radio Shack to
spray on carpets around computers.

If you know your charged up, and want to ease the shock a little, hold
onto the metal part of a key, then touch something grounded with same
(so the arc happens between the key and the grounded object). Wetting
your fingers to make a little better contact between you and the the key
helps a little more.

I have a neighbor who's home carpet is really bad about static...
especially when the humidity's low in the winter. I hold my keys the
whole time I'm over there, and ground myself regularly. Switch plate
screw heads usually work wonderfully... or should anyway. SNAP!

Erik
Old May 13th 05, 03:43 PM
The Real Tom

On 12 May 2005 18:06:44 -0700, wrote:

>Many are familiar with the static electricity problem when exiting
>their car. Apparently it has something to do with some of the newer
>tire compounds. I have heard solutions ranging from spraying cloth
>seats with a fabric softener solution to "remembering" to touch the
>metal frame before leaving your car.
>I saw another option that seems much more practical.
>I am wondering if these things actually work.

http://members.cox.net/ylosk/private...rth_ground.htm
>If any of you have tried this type of solution please let me know it
>works. Thanks

Actually I've found air humidity has more to do with static discharge.
Static electricity is normally built up moving against fabric, and it
it's humid, it is discharged to the air with no sense of it. But when
it's dry, no discharge happens till you touch something and that's a
zap.

You might notice it more if you live in dry areas, or run you a/c
alot, but you can help prevent the build up if you fight static at the
source. I've heard of people wiping down car seats with new dryer
sheets when they clean their car out. This imparts some of the anti
static chemicals on the seat. I've been even told that one guy used
downy in his carpets when cleaning them to knock down the static zaps.

hth, please tell us what you found out.

later,

tom @ www.CarFleaMarket.com

Old May 13th 05, 03:55 PM
Fifty Hertz

An antistatic strap won't protect you
> unless you wire it to yourself and throw it on the ground before getting
> out.
> Then slide it on the ground when you walk.

I've been doing that for decades. Drives my wife crazy.