goldfish vs. tropical

Old September 13th 04, 02:55 PM

Default goldfish vs. tropical

get to rec. ponds with this. (please cross post to GF). Ingrid

so238 wrote:

Hello goldfish keepers,

There seems to be the notion around that goldfish mustn't be kept with
tropical fish due to differences in temperature requirements. I am quite
certain it's not really true, as I've lived in sub-tropical Taiwan.
Temperatures are around 30 cel. most the year (dips briefly to +10 for a
month in winter), but goldfish are commonly kept and survive and thrive
(when properly cared for, of course). And goldfish are bred commercially
in southern China with a similar climate.

I think the reason goldfish aren't so good with tropicals is because
they're big and messy. Maybe goldfish survive less than ideal water
quality better than tropicals?

Speaking of goldfish and climate, I've settled in Europe now and
preparing to keep some goldfish in a big tub on my balcony. I know
nothing about overwintering. If it gets near freezing (but usually just
above) in winter, how should I go about reduced feeding, etc.? Can you
actually keep them in a big tub (50 gallons?) in this kind of weather?
Thanks,

Seb

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old September 13th 04, 03:33 PM
Derek Broughton

so238 wrote:

There seems to be the notion around that goldfish mustn't be kept with
tropical fish due to differences in temperature requirements. I am quite
certain it's not really true, as I've lived in sub-tropical Taiwan.
Temperatures are around 30 cel. most the year (dips briefly to +10 for a
month in winter), but goldfish are commonly kept and survive and thrive
(when properly cared for, of course). And goldfish are bred commercially
in southern China with a similar climate.

I think the reason goldfish aren't so good with tropicals is because
they're big and messy. Maybe goldfish survive less than ideal water
quality better than tropicals?

Yes, and no. Everybody's seen goldfish living way beyond any safe stocking
limit in murky water. otoh, there are many tropical varieties that can
survive extreme conditions (killifish come to mind).

Speaking of goldfish and climate, I've settled in Europe now and
preparing to keep some goldfish in a big tub on my balcony. I know
nothing about overwintering. If it gets near freezing (but usually just
above) in winter, how should I go about reduced feeding, etc.? Can you
actually keep them in a big tub (50 gallons?) in this kind of weather?

I would just eliminate feeding altogether. In a pond, I never feed
goldfish. In a small tub (no, 50 gallons, even English ones, is _not_ a
"big" tub :-) ), there probably isn't enough naturally occurring fauna to
keep them fed in summer, but in Winter they need practically no food.
--
derek
Old September 14th 04, 12:25 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

There seems to be the notion around that goldfish mustn't be kept with
tropical fish due to differences in temperature requirements.

IME, it wasn't the temperature that did the little fantail in, it was the
fact that even tropical fish rated for community living, will sometimes
shred the fins right off a goldfish.

Speaking of goldfish and climate, I've settled in Europe now and
preparing to keep some goldfish in a big tub on my balcony. I know
nothing about overwintering. If it gets near freezing (but usually just
above) in winter, how should I go about reduced feeding, etc.? Can you
actually keep them in a big tub (50 gallons?) in this kind of weather?

I do. I keep a stock tank heater floating in it and during times of extreme
cold, plug it in twice per day for 15 minutes. Keeps an opening in the ice,
yet doesn't over heat the tank. If you can afford the electricity you could
keep it plugged in all the time, as they do have primitive thermostats on
them. If you look on my website below, click on *My Pond Photos* and go to
Page 8, bottom right. This is my "little tub" using just an air stone, but
that was when the temps went down in the teens. I use a stock tank heater
now.

One caution: Unless you can afford to keep it plugged in all the time, only
plug in 10-15 minutes, else you can over heat the pond, and when you
unplug, and the temps drop, you'll have a tub full of goldies with ick.

~ jan http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old September 14th 04, 04:20 AM
bk

I live in Miami Florida. There are several ponds around here that have both
Cichlids and Koi and Goldfish in Commercail locations. Fancy Koi, Angels
Hatcheries, Goldfish and Koi USA and Miller's Tropicals (Orchid Growers) are
just a few. All of these locations use continuous flow of crystal clear
ground water thru their ponds and holding tanks. Miller's hase all sorts of
fish and is big enough to swim in.

so238 wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List