Turn Signal Relay/Flasher ??

Old December 5th 04, 09:34 PM
George Nikolovski

Default Turn Signal Relay/Flasher ??

Hi everyone,,Quick question.I have a 97 Jetta where the left rear turn
signal flashes twice as fast.Bulb right,well I switched and replaced the
bulb but it still flashes at the same speed.So I bought a Flasher relay
Stant#EP35 but I cannot find where to install it.Please help,Thanks,George

Old December 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, George Nikolovski wrote:

>Hi everyone,,Quick question.I have a 97 Jetta where the left rear turn
>signal flashes twice as fast.Bulb right,well I switched and replaced the
>bulb but it still flashes at the same speed.So I bought a Flasher relay
>Stant#EP35 but I cannot find where to install it.Please help,Thanks,George

How does the brightness of the front left compare to the front
right? The problem bulb could be in front.
Old December 5th 04, 10:40 PM
Tom's VR6

Old December 5th 04, 11:16 PM
Joseph Meehan

George Nikolovski wrote:
> Hi everyone,,Quick question.I have a 97 Jetta where the left rear turn
> signal flashes twice as fast.Bulb right,well I switched and replaced
> the bulb but it still flashes at the same speed.So I bought a Flasher
> relay Stant#EP35 but I cannot find where to install it.Please
> help,Thanks,George

I just spent three months finding the source of a like problem on my
2002 NB.

The fast flash is a good indication of some high resistance on the
circuit. It can be a lamp out (front, side or rear) or a high resistance
contact-connection. Remove each lamp on the circuit and clean the contacts
on the lamp and the socket. An ideal tool for this is an eraser. For good
measure, get some of the special dielectric lube used for electrical
contacts and use it.

In the end, I found the problem was the plug where the front lamp
assembly plugged into the wiring harness. It was frustrating because I kept
trying things and occasionally it would appear fixed, for a few days. Of
course removing the lamp housing to check the lamp and socket would pull on
that plug and move it just enough to get it to work for a few days.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old December 5th 04, 11:16 PM
Joseph Meehan

Old December 5th 04, 11:26 PM
Biz

"George Nikolovski" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone,,Quick question.I have a 97 Jetta where the left rear turn
> signal flashes twice as fast.Bulb right,well I switched and replaced the
> bulb but it still flashes at the same speed.So I bought a Flasher relay
> Stant#EP35 but I cannot find where to install it.Please help,Thanks,George

YOu need to check all teh bulbs in the turn signal circuit, and if that
doesnt fix it, you need to check the bulbs sockets/wiring for corrosion
causing a short. If the flasher are working for one side correctly, it cant
be teh flasher relay itself.

Old December 5th 04, 11:26 PM
Biz

Old December 6th 04, 02:02 AM
Randolph

George Nikolovski wrote:

> Hi everyone,,Quick question.I have a 97 Jetta where the left rear turn
> signal flashes twice as fast.Bulb right,well I switched and replaced the
> bulb but it still flashes at the same speed.So I bought a Flasher relay
> Stant#EP35 but I cannot find where to install it.Please help,Thanks,George

You say the left *rear* indicator is flashing quickly. This is where I
am going to be a jackass and suggest the perhaps your left *front*
indicator bulb is burned out, otherwise, why specify that it is only the
rear that is flashing fast?