'If the Chrysler 300 is a hit, then new Mustang is a grand slam'

Old June 1st 05, 04:01 AM

Default 'If the Chrysler 300 is a hit, then new Mustang is a grand slam'

Pretty flattering numbers for Team Mustang.

---From BON---

It was exactly four years ago this month that I wrote an article for
BlueOvalNews titled "Mustang Remains Best Selling Coupe," where I
illustrated that after nearly 40 years on the market, Ford's Mustang
typically leads the sales chart among coupes. Now, with an all-new
design, Mustang appears to be on track to continue pacing the coupe
segment.

Media reporting, unimaginative at best, seems to be overlooking
Mustang's resurgent popularity. It seems to be more fashionable to tout
the Japanese companies gains, but Mustang is at the least, equally as
strong this year. Consider the month of April, when Mustang had a 25.9
percent sales gain, equal to Toyota's gain. Even more noteworthy is the
yearly comparison where Mustang has gained 19.2 percent in contrast to
Toyota's 13.6 percent gain.

Media coverage is just as wretchedly fixated on clamoring over the
success of the Chrysler 300, especially crediting the car with the
lions-share of DaimlerChrysler's 5.4 percent, four-month sales gain.
What they fail to mention is that in the four-month comparison between
this year and last, is that this year, the 300 has had four full months
of sales, while last year, it had just entered the market in March.
Therefore, the 300's 35,000-unit gain over last year does
unquestionably add to DC's bottom line sales tally.

Contrasting the Chrysler 300, Mustang had a full 12 months of sales
last year, so achieving a comparable sale gain would be phenomenal.
However, to Mustang's credit, it does have a 10,000-unit gain over last
year.

Regardless, my point is more clearly illustrated by presenting raw
sales data. The Chrysler 300 has four-month sales this year of 49,089;
the Mustang stands at a greater, 61,820. April sales were 12,837 for
the 300, while Mustang had sales of 19,559 in April. Based upon all the
hoopla surrounding the 300's success, I had been under the impression
that it was the market's only triumphant sales story. But if the 300 is
defined as a success, then the Mustang must be a grand slam home run.

At this point it may be worth considering how Mustang fits within the
context of total U.S. car sales. If the newly redesigned Mustang is a
success as I've implied, then it should be illustratable not only in
unit sales, but it should also have achieved a larger percentage of
overall market sales. Since the new model was only on the market for a
couple of months at the end of 2004, any measurement of success will
only be notable in 2005 sales data.

It is clearly revealed in the table below that the all-new Mustang is
enjoying phenomenal success in the marketplace this year. Mustang has
achieved 2.4% of the U.S. car market in the first four months of 2005,
far better than any of the previous 15 years, as is confirmed in the
following tabulation.

While the Chrysler 300 may be the media darling when it comes to sales
reporting, Mustang madness continues to roar through the streets of
America.
---

Patrick
'93 Cobra

Old June 2nd 05, 12:38 AM
RichA

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 07:20:35 -0400, ZombyWoof >
wrote:

> [...]
>>couple of months at the end of 2004, any measurement of success will
>>only be notable in 2005 sales data.
>>
>>It is clearly revealed in the table below that the all-new Mustang is
>>enjoying phenomenal success in the marketplace this year. Mustang has
>>achieved 2.4% of the U.S. car market in the first four months of 2005,
>>far better than any of the previous 15 years, as is confirmed in the
>>following tabulation.
>>
>>While the Chrysler 300 may be the media darling when it comes to sales
>>reporting, Mustang madness continues to roar through the streets of
>>America.
>>

>I'm sorry, but I don't get the point. Your comparing two different
>cars aimed at two different audiences. While there maybe some
>crossover I doubt that anyone who was looking for a Four-Door sedan
>was considering a two coupe or vice versa. Different cars, different

The Mustang sales are impressive, simply because of the lack of
overall support for coupes today. Chrysler is nuts though.
If they took the new 300 engine, put it in a 2 door with 500lbs
less weight, they have a REAL Charger instead of the JOKE they are
putting out. They might as well call it the 300 Magnum.

Old June 3rd 05, 01:40 AM
Joe

RichA > wrote in
:

> [...]
>>>is enjoying phenomenal success in the marketplace this year.
>>>Mustang has achieved 2.4% of the U.S. car market in the first four
>>>months of 2005, far better than any of the previous 15 years, as is
>>>confirmed in the following tabulation.
>>>
>>>While the Chrysler 300 may be the media darling when it comes to
>>>sales reporting, Mustang madness continues to roar through the
>>>streets of America.
>>>

>>I'm sorry, but I don't get the point. Your comparing two different
>>cars aimed at two different audiences. While there maybe some
>>crossover I doubt that anyone who was looking for a Four-Door sedan
>>was considering a two coupe or vice versa. Different cars,
>>different market segments.

> The Mustang sales are impressive, simply because of the lack of
> overall support for coupes today. Chrysler is nuts though.

Nuts enough to post a sales increase, where Ford and GM are going home
with their tails between their legs. Not to mention their "junk"
status.

> If they took the new 300 engine, put it in a 2 door with 500lbs
> less weight, they have a REAL Charger instead of the JOKE they are
> putting out. They might as well call it the 300 Magnum.

The joke's on you, Rich. You're the one with the 4-door hangup.
425hp and 420lb-ft torque is major stuff regardless of how many doors
are hanging off the car.

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old June 10th 05, 01:12 AM
Hooked 87

Keep watch on the Charger a 6.1L is comming. Still a stang man but the
srt8 looks sweet in black.

Robert
Hooked

Old June 10th 05, 02:07 AM
66 6F HCS

"Hooked 87" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Keep watch on the Charger a 6.1L is comming. Still a stang man but the
> srt8 looks sweet in black.

It's STILL a 4-door and looks like a 300 with a fubar'd nose.
--
Scott W.
'66 HCS Mustang 289

Old June 10th 05, 02:33 AM
Joe

"66 6F HCS" > wrote in
:

> "Hooked 87" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Keep watch on the Charger a 6.1L is comming. Still a stang man but
>> the srt8 looks sweet in black.

> It's STILL a 4-door and looks like a 300 with a fubar'd nose.

Scott, have you seen one in person yet?

Old June 10th 05, 11:52 AM
66 6F HCS

"Joe" > wrote
> Scott, have you seen one in person yet?

No, but still looks like a 300 and it's a 4-door.

Old June 10th 05, 01:43 PM
Joe

"66 6F HCS" > wrote in
:

> "Joe" > wrote
>> Scott, have you seen one in person yet?

> No, but still looks like a 300 and it's a 4-door.

Of course it's built on the same platform, but it's much better in
person. Before I saw it for real I didn't particularly like it at
all.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of a 4-door killer car at all.
Simply makes more sense to me with the rear seat and all. Of course,
2-doors are great for 2-seaters...

Old June 11th 05, 12:12 PM
Hooked 87

The charger looks much better inperson and the srt8 version have a
center scoop and rear wing with 18inch wheels. Looks like Chev gave up
and now its Mopar and Ford.
Robert
Hooked