Jeep-Deere body lift question

Old February 2nd 05, 06:23 PM
Jeepers

Default Jeep-Deere body lift question

Time to mount the body. I'm looking at a 2" body lift to clear the
clocked Dana 300 and NV4500 tranny. What kind of issues am I looking at
in a body lift on a CJ-7?

--
Member AAAAAAAA
American Association Against Acronym Abuse And Also Ambiguity.
Old February 2nd 05, 07:01 PM
Mike Romain

If it is a boxed frame, the added torque on the mounts will increase the
cracking potential if you off road it. The frames like to torque crack
in front of the rear passenger spring hanger on the inside and over on
the drivers side frame behind the front spring hanger on the inside or
bottom.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 2nd 05, 07:34 PM
JimG

1) Extend steering shaft
2) Lower the clutch linkage
3) Cutout floorboard to clear shifters

pros:
1) clearance for accessing things like top of gas tank, steering gear box,
shift linkage
2) tire clearance

cons:
1) body roll, body flex
2) deteriorated handling
3) high center of gravity
--
JimG
80' CJ-7 258 CID, HEI

00' TJ Sport 4.0L, 5sp
4.56 Gears, TrueTrac rear
33" BFG AT on 15x8 Eagle Alloys
D35 Rear, D30 Front. 3" Suspension Lift

Old February 2nd 05, 08:45 PM
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Make a new tunnel.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old February 2nd 05, 11:49 PM
Jeepers

In article >,
Mike Romain > wrote:

> If it is a boxed frame, the added torque on the mounts will increase the
> cracking potential if you off road it. The frames like to torque crack
> in front of the rear passenger spring hanger on the inside and over on
> the drivers side frame behind the front spring hanger on the inside or
> bottom.
>
> Mike

Solution? Pix? Links? Thanks.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:50 PM
Jeepers

In article >, "JimG" >
wrote:

> 1) Extend steering shaft

O.K. I thought so. No biggie.

> 2) Lower the clutch linkage

Hydraulic.

> 3) Cutout floorboard to clear shifters

Done.

Why is the handling worsened?

Old February 2nd 05, 11:55 PM
Jeepers

In article >,
"L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III" > wrote:

> Make a new tunnel.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Thanks Bill. Ew, I'd rather not, BUT, I didn't want to raise the body to
begin with. The tranny isn't a real big problem, it's the clocked d300.
The lobe is up pretty high, I may have no choice but to create a new
tunnel.

Any pix, links?

While I'm at it, how much clearance do I really need between drivetrain
components and the body. I was shootin fer about 2" if possible.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:41 AM
Mike Romain

The cracks are a defect in the design that happened when they went from
a C channel frame to a double C box. The single C channel could twist
freely. When the double C twists, it stresses the crap out of the
lengthwise weld which gets weak due to holding mud and salt slush inside
it. It then splits and allows the two separate C channels to move
independent. The inner one will then kink (compression) crack up right
in front of the rear spring hanger.

Mine is totally blown out on the inside, so I had the outside C channel
plated on 3 sides along the area 4 or 5 years ago. The beefed up
Channel has held perfectly and I let the inside fall apart. Same for
the front passenger side.

There are companies that offer pre made plates for both the inside and
outside of the front and rear frame torque areas. So you can just buy
them 'first' rather than do catch up repairs when it breaks like I have
done....

When I get a new frame, I want it plated like that 'first' because I
twist the crap out of my CJ7 on trails.

I live in the salt belt and see 'most' CJ's with that rear crack
starting linearly on the bottom weld if not already broken open.... :-(

Mike

Old February 3rd 05, 01:46 AM
Nathan Otis

Because of cons 1 and 3?
n.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:34 AM
JimG

Thanks Nathan... I guess I could have worded differently.

BTW... I make these comments after I removed the 2" BL (installed by the PO)
and put new stock mounts in... what a difference!

JimG

"Nathan Otis" wrote in message t...
> Because of cons 1 and 3?
> n.
>
> "Jeepers" wrote in message ...
> >
> > Why is the handling worsened?

Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 03:22 PM
lookin 4 butch VW air cooled 12 December 17th 04 12:38 AM
Suspension AND Body lift? JoeArmy99 4x4 16 June 27th 04 06:08 PM