How to replace a Mk4 Golf Rear Wiper Arm

Old January 28th 05, 09:41 PM
Mike NG

Default How to replace a Mk4 Golf Rear Wiper Arm

Last week, I was being lazy and thought I could shift a huge pile of
snow by activating the rear wiper. What I was left with was a wiper
arm, spring and a bit of plastic on the floor - and maybe something else
that went into the snow

Basically I can't get the thing to go back on. I've hooked one end of
the spring around a notch on the bit of the rotor near the water nozzle,
and the other end of the spring in the aperture about 1/3 away along the
arm with the end of the arm fitting into its home near the water nozzle.
Bit hard to explain, but it's the most logical way it would go.

I think it's more than the spring, because I know the wiper grunted away
and I saw those bits on the floor. The spring was slightly deformed,
but it took an incredible amount of force to hook it into position with
the arm in place. Even when in place, I could not really lift it away
from the window without it falling off

So I need to replace the wiper arm only. I've removed the hub over the
water nozzle, and can see a nut, but taking the nut off doesn't seem to
allow me to do anything. What do I need to do so I can replace the
black arm which is attached to the rotating spindle. I have kept the
blade that would attach to the end of it

The motor is good (well it needed replacing last year due to the fault
where water gets inside), but it was done by Halfords/AA Service Centre
(as part of my Carland warranty), so I reckon I am stuffed
--
Mike
Please post replies to newsgroup to benefit others
Old January 28th 05, 11:15 PM
Dave Hall

Are you sure it isn't a very tight cone fit onto the shaft? That's how the
front Polo ones work and they can be very well meshed into the plastic, with
splines on the spindles that grip the plastic. You might like to get
confirmation it's the same on your car before levering or pulling like mad..

--
Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club

Old January 29th 05, 04:00 AM
Matt B.

"Dave Hall" > wrote in message
> Are you sure it isn't a very tight cone fit onto the shaft? That's how
> the
> front Polo ones work and they can be very well meshed into the plastic,
> with
> splines on the spindles that grip the plastic. You might like to get
> confirmation it's the same on your car before levering or pulling like
> mad..

I don't have a golf but on my eurovan I had the rear wiper off once and
another time I went to remove it and I guess the first time I put it back I
put it on pretty tight because with the nut off it sure doesn't want to
release.

Old January 29th 05, 08:33 AM
Nik&Andy

You can buy a special puller tool for windscreen wiper arms from Machine
Mart.
I know it's a bit of a luxury item, but hey, they not V.Expensive. £8.21inc
VAT

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040211427

Andy

Old January 29th 05, 01:49 PM
Mike NG

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 at 08:33:10, Nik&Andy (Nik&Andy
>) wrote:
>You can buy a special puller tool for windscreen wiper arms from Machine
>Mart.
>I know it's a bit of a luxury item, but hey, they not V.Expensive. £8.21inc
>VAT
>
>http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040211427

Thanks

Here is my state of affairs
http://makeashorterlink.com/?F64F63A5A

Can't see how that tool will do the job
Old January 29th 05, 05:48 PM
Nik&Andy

Yes, that tool will work just fine, undo the not in the centre using a good
ring spanner, then use the puller from machine mart to remove what is left
of the arm...

It hooks under the bottom of what is left of the arm and pushes against the
centre spindle bold to release the arm mechanism.

It will work fine.

Andy

Old January 29th 05, 10:34 PM
Mike NG

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 at 17:48:09, Nik&Andy (Nik&Andy
>) wrote:
>Yes, that tool will work just fine, undo the not in the centre using a good
>ring spanner, then use the puller from machine mart to remove what is left
>of the arm...
>
>It hooks under the bottom of what is left of the arm and pushes against the
>centre spindle bold to release the arm mechanism.
>
>It will work fine.

Thanks I see it now. I thought the spindle on the tool would sit on top
of the water nozzle, but I need to turn it at right angles

Will the arm just then rotate off, and the new one rotate on again?

I will probably get my car serviced at Golf Nutz in Middlewich next, and
get them to do that for me if it's too tricky!
Old January 29th 05, 10:41 PM
Nik&Andy

The wiper arm is only pressure fit, once looseened using the puller. or good
home made device it will just fall off, nothing screws on except the locking
nut.

To adjust the fit for a new arm (around £20) just flick the wiper switch
after removing what is left of the old one and allow the motor to come back
to park.
Once the motor has parked you can fit a new arm in the parked position on
the window.

Once you remove the stump of what is left, all will become clear

Andy

Old January 31st 05, 12:56 AM
radar

A word of warning Do Not Use A Puller on this wiper as this will destroy the
washer jet and distort the spindle which is hollow ! You would need to undo
the nut by 2or 3 turns then use a socket as a spacer so that the puller
presses against the nut rather than the end of the spindle ! P.S. looking at
your picture you have broken the arm and will need to fit a new one.

Old January 31st 05, 05:58 AM
Matt B.

"Mike NG" > wrote in message
>Will the arm just then rotate off, and the new one rotate on again?

They usually don't rotate off...they usually pull straight off (I wouldn't
rotate it 'cause you might damage the motor). They fit on a spindle with
little grooves and they kinda just grip that way. Problem is they sometimes
grip too well.

rear wiper woes Red Ford Explorer 6 January 7th 05 01:03 AM
VW Golf 3 rear fog lights Joseph Meehan VW water cooled 6 October 30th 04 02:14 AM
My Beetle's Maintenance Schedule - Help Please! Sleepy Joe VW air cooled 0 October 18th 04 01:53 AM