Ipod in the car

Old January 26th 05, 06:02 PM
YYZedd

Default Ipod in the car

I have a 2001 GTI and am going to get an Ipod in the near future. I am
mainly getting it for use in the car so I am interested in various ways to
use the ipod through the stereo. I have the monsoon deck with in dash single
cd player.

What products has anyone used for their ipod in VW's and what do you
recommend? I only read bad things about the FM transmitters. I prefer a
clean install to having a cassette adaptor but this may not be feasible.

I read in this NG (I think it was in here) recently about a device that uses
the cd changer connection. Does anyone recommend this option?

Thanks.

Old January 26th 05, 06:51 PM
Wm Donley

What products has anyone used for their ipod in VW's and what do you
> recommend? I only read bad things about the FM transmitters. I prefer a
> clean install to having a cassette adaptor but this may not be feasible.

Hi. I've got a '02 Golf, with the std. stereo. Using an Ipod with a
cassette adapter. Works well. The car's set up for a remote cd deck
that I don't have, so I want to get at the back of the deck to see if
the cd input is a plugin that I can use to put the Ipod thru.
When you read the tests, preferred way is direct input thru an aux
port. Second best is using a cassette adapter {realizing alot of cars
don't have that option}. Distant third is the FM device. *BUT* I know a
bunch of people using fm that are happy with it. Best seems to be the
ITrip. The Belkin isn't nearly as good. I have one I tried first, and
it's really not good in the Golf. Worked better in my Bus. Maybe it's
the rear mt antenna....Bill D.
Old January 26th 05, 07:27 PM
Lee

My friend has the IPOD in his 98 GTI and he bought a Alpine Deck, he
controls the Ipod via the Alpine deck and all the Titles show up in the
Alpine. Also it charges at Ipod while it's plug into the deck. Very cool.

-Lee

ink.net...

Old January 27th 05, 12:23 AM
Rob Guenther

(http://www.pie.net/vw_aux_inst.htm)

You did read it on this newsgroup, a post yesterday (25th) had this product
mentioned in it... The poster was having trouble with his in dash CD player
on his Monsoon system, he has the two separate units for headunit and CD
player, as well as this connector in place of his CD changer.

I personally have no experience with it, seems like a good idea, but it
looks like you have to have it in your trunk.... suppose you could buy a CD
changer cable and run the whole setup thru the glovebox/center console.
ink.net...

Old January 27th 05, 12:24 AM
M Power

It uses bluetooth technology
It is neat though !!

Old January 27th 05, 12:51 AM
SteveH

M Power > wrote:

> "Lee" > wrote in message
> > My friend has the IPOD in his 98 GTI and he bought a Alpine Deck, he
> > controls the Ipod via the Alpine deck and all the Titles show up in the
> > Alpine. Also it charges at Ipod while it's plug into the deck. Very cool.

> >>I have a 2001 GTI and am going to get an Ipod in the near future. I am
> >> mainly getting it for use in the car so I am interested in various ways
> >> use the ipod through the stereo. I have the monsoon deck with in dash
> >> single
> >> cd player.
> >>
> >> What products has anyone used for their ipod in VW's and what do you
> >> recommend? I only read bad things about the FM transmitters. I prefer a
> >> clean install to having a cassette adaptor but this may not be feasible.
> >>
> >> I read in this NG (I think it was in here) recently about a device that
> >> uses
> >> the cd changer connection. Does anyone recommend this option?

Can you explain how an iPod, which doesn't have Bluetooth, manages to
work using 'bluetooth technology' with something else that doesn't have
Bluetooth?

What the OP is looking for is the Dension iLink.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old January 27th 05, 02:35 AM
YYZedd

"Rob Guenther" > wrote in message
.. .
> (http://www.pie.net/vw_aux_inst.htm)
>
> You did read it on this newsgroup

Nah, this was a few weeks back that I read it. It was the Monster iCruze.

Old January 27th 05, 04:38 PM
YYZedd

"SteveH" > wrote in message
> M Power > wrote:
>
> > "Lee" > wrote in message
> > > My friend has the IPOD in his 98 GTI and he bought a Alpine Deck, he
> > > controls the Ipod via the Alpine deck and all the Titles show up in

the
> > > Alpine. Also it charges at Ipod while it's plug into the deck. Very

cool.

ways

feasible.

that

> Can you explain how an iPod, which doesn't have Bluetooth, manages to
> work using 'bluetooth technology' with something else that doesn't have
> Bluetooth?

There is a bluetooth adaptor out there.

> What the OP is looking for is the Dension iLink.

Yes, this looks like the way to go....eventually. To get the kit and the
mount is approaching $250. Almost as much as the ipod itself. I may go with
a cheaper solution for starters.

Old January 27th 05, 06:20 PM
SteveH

YYZedd > wrote:

> > Can you explain how an iPod, which doesn't have Bluetooth, manages to
> > work using 'bluetooth technology' with something else that doesn't have
> > Bluetooth?

> There is a bluetooth adaptor out there.

Is there a link for that? - I'm not aware of any iPod Bluetooth Audio
adaptors out there, and head units supporting Bluetooth Audio are not
readily available on the market. Most head units with Bluetooth support
are for cellular phones.
VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
Old January 27th 05, 06:46 PM
YYZedd

"SteveH" > wrote in message
k...
> YYZedd > wrote:
>
> > > Can you explain how an iPod, which doesn't have Bluetooth, manages to
> > > work using 'bluetooth technology' with something else that doesn't

have
> > > Bluetooth?

> > There is a bluetooth adaptor out there.

> Is there a link for that? - I'm not aware of any iPod Bluetooth Audio
> adaptors out there, and head units supporting Bluetooth Audio are not
> readily available on the market. Most head units with Bluetooth support
> are for cellular phones.

I could swear I saw one yesterday. Of course now that I have said it I can't
find it again. I'll keep looking.

> --
> Steve H 'You're not a real petrolhead unless you've owned an Alfa Romeo'
> http://www.italiancar.co.uk - Honda VFR800 - MZ ETZ300
> VW Golf GL Cabrio - Alfa 75 TS - VW Passat 1.8T 20V SE - COSOC KOTL
> BoTAFOT #87 - BoTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #

iPod Harness / BMW 325i Robert Spike BMW 11 January 12th 05 02:44 AM
2005 Odyssey iPod Connection Russ Fink Honda 10 January 2nd 05 01:34 AM
iPod and 2005 BMW 525i Golfncpa BMW 0 December 21st 04 09:15 PM
connecting an iPOD to a 2005 Accord stock radio SoCalMike Honda 10 October 14th 04 07:21 PM
Help installing Ipod in ford. Nate General 0 August 28th 04 07:10 AM