Brake Master Cylinder Flush

Old January 26th 05, 01:18 AM
Marcy

Default Brake Master Cylinder Flush

Hi Gang,

I could use a little advise. I have a 1999 Toyota Prerunner and I have
had all the little service issues, including oil and filter changes,
done at the dealer where I bought it. I have always had great
experiences with them and the service department.

I just had my routine oilchange and for only the second time they made
service recommendations (the first time it was because my brakes were
showing considerable wear - and it was perfectly true).

1. Replace the Air Filter - I had about 25,000 miles on it so I just
bought a new one and stuck it in. Piece of cake.

2. Flush the Master Brake Cylinder - I asked my dad to show it to me
and we could see no drips or leaks around it, and the fluid level was
normal. The cost for parts and labor is $129.

It may have been flushed at the 30k service (I have 63k now), but
certainly not since then. This truck is so wonderful, never a problem.
My brother thinks they may be just trying to get some extra money from
me, but since it is only $129 I was just going to do it to be safe.

The only non-oilchange service I had planned this year is to get a new
timing belt. Is flushing the Master Brake Cylinder something that
should be done periodically or is this one of those things they sell to
women who don't know any better? Any comments will be much appreciated.

Old January 26th 05, 01:26 AM
el Diablo

"Marcy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Gang,
>
> I could use a little advise. I have a 1999 Toyota Prerunner and I have
> had all the little service issues, including oil and filter changes,
> done at the dealer where I bought it. I have always had great
> experiences with them and the service department.
>
> I just had my routine oilchange and for only the second time they made
> service recommendations (the first time it was because my brakes were
> showing considerable wear - and it was perfectly true).
>
> 1. Replace the Air Filter - I had about 25,000 miles on it so I just
> bought a new one and stuck it in. Piece of cake.
>
> 2. Flush the Master Brake Cylinder - I asked my dad to show it to me
> and we could see no drips or leaks around it, and the fluid level was
> normal. The cost for parts and labor is $129.
>
> It may have been flushed at the 30k service (I have 63k now), but
> certainly not since then. This truck is so wonderful, never a problem.
> My brother thinks they may be just trying to get some extra money from
> me, but since it is only $129 I was just going to do it to be safe.
>
> The only non-oilchange service I had planned this year is to get a new
> timing belt. Is flushing the Master Brake Cylinder something that
> should be done periodically or is this one of those things they sell to
> women who don't know any better? Any comments will be much appreciated.

It's a good idea to have the entire brake system flushed to get the old
brake fluid out and new in. I think that's what they're wanting to do to
your truck. Brake fluid gets dirty and will absorb moisture contaminating it
and lowering the boiling point, making it less effective and corrosive to
your brake parts.

My '99 Chevy truck has 69,000 miles on it, when I replace the front pads and
rotors this spring I plan to flush the brake system then.

Brian

Old January 26th 05, 01:30 AM
Marcy

Thank you Brian.

Old January 26th 05, 01:45 AM
« Paul »

Marcy wrote:

> I could use a little advise. I have a 1999 Toyota Prerunner and I have
>
> 2. Flush the Master Brake Cylinder - I asked my dad to show it to me
> and we could see no drips or leaks around it, and the fluid level was
> normal. The cost for parts and labor is $129.

On my own vehicles, I flush the entire system everytime I replace
rear brakes. The rears last about two fronts.
It's easier than replacing leaky wheel cylinders/pistons.
Old January 26th 05, 01:49 AM
Marcy

Thank you. Sounds like it won't be a complete waste of $129, so I made
an appointment for next week.

Old January 26th 05, 03:35 AM
Comboverfish

>The only non-oilchange service I had planned this
>year is to get a new timing belt

>(I have 63k now)

If you have a tbelt then you have the 3.4 V6. Toyota recommends 90K
timing belt replacement intervals and I agree that it is safe to go
that long. Save some money and wait til 90,000.

I second everyone's notion of flushing brake fluid. It's not a bad
idea to get it done about every 60K or every front brake pad
replacement (for average drivers those are one in the same. Your
PreRunner has the newer, longer lasting pads than those marshmallows
Toyota used to use.) Call your dealer and ask if you had it flushed at
30K. They will have your records readily available. You might want to
wait til 90K if it was done at 30.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old January 26th 05, 04:39 AM
el Diablo

"Comboverfish" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> >The only non-oilchange service I had planned this
>>year is to get a new timing belt

>>(I have 63k now)

> If you have a tbelt then you have the 3.4 V6. Toyota recommends 90K
> timing belt replacement intervals and I agree that it is safe to go
> that long. Save some money and wait til 90,000.
>
> I second everyone's notion of flushing brake fluid. It's not a bad
> idea to get it done about every 60K or every front brake pad
> replacement (for average drivers those are one in the same. Your
> PreRunner has the newer, longer lasting pads than those marshmallows
> Toyota used to use.) Call your dealer and ask if you had it flushed at
> 30K. They will have your records readily available. You might want to
> wait til 90K if it was done at 30.
>
> Toyota MDT in MO

I'd get it flushed anyway, it's six years old. Keep it clean and the brake
hydraulics should last a long time.

Brian

Old January 26th 05, 07:39 AM
Nate Nagel

Marcy wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>
> I could use a little advise. I have a 1999 Toyota Prerunner and I have
> had all the little service issues, including oil and filter changes,
> done at the dealer where I bought it. I have always had great
> experiences with them and the service department.
>
> I just had my routine oilchange and for only the second time they made
> service recommendations (the first time it was because my brakes were
> showing considerable wear - and it was perfectly true).
>
> 1. Replace the Air Filter - I had about 25,000 miles on it so I just
> bought a new one and stuck it in. Piece of cake.
>
> 2. Flush the Master Brake Cylinder - I asked my dad to show it to me
> and we could see no drips or leaks around it, and the fluid level was
> normal. The cost for parts and labor is $129.
>
> It may have been flushed at the 30k service (I have 63k now), but
> certainly not since then. This truck is so wonderful, never a problem.
> My brother thinks they may be just trying to get some extra money from
> me, but since it is only $129 I was just going to do it to be safe.
>
> The only non-oilchange service I had planned this year is to get a new
> timing belt. Is flushing the Master Brake Cylinder something that
> should be done periodically or is this one of those things they sell to
> women who don't know any better? Any comments will be much appreciated.

If it's a '99 it should have been done already, that was six years ago!
I like to change the brake fluid at least every other year - maybe
overkill, but keeps the moisture from accumulating and rusting out your
brake parts.

I've actually seen web sites recommend with a perfectly straight face
replacing calipers when replacing pads... seems easier to me just to
maintain what you have...

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old January 26th 05, 07:59 PM
Marcy

Thanks everyone for taking time to post.
Marcy

Old January 26th 05, 09:49 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article .com>,
says...
>Hi Gang,
>I could use a little advise. I have a 1999 Toyota Prerunner and I have
>had all the little service issues, including oil and filter changes,
>done at the dealer where I bought it. I have always had great
>experiences with them and the service department.
>I just had my routine oilchange and for only the second time they made
>service recommendations (the first time it was because my brakes were
>showing considerable wear - and it was perfectly true).
>1. Replace the Air Filter - I had about 25,000 miles on it so I just
>bought a new one and stuck it in. Piece of cake.
>2. Flush the Master Brake Cylinder - I asked my dad to show it to me
>and we could see no drips or leaks around it, and the fluid level was
>normal. The cost for parts and labor is $129.
>It may have been flushed at the 30k service (I have 63k now), but
>certainly not since then. This truck is so wonderful, never a problem.
>My brother thinks they may be just trying to get some extra money from
>me, but since it is only $129 I was just going to do it to be safe.
>The only non-oilchange service I had planned this year is to get a new
>timing belt. Is flushing the Master Brake Cylinder something that
>should be done periodically or is this one of those things they sell to
>women who don't know any better? Any comments will be much appreciated.

Yes, you should periodically change your brake fluid. Check your owners
manual for the service schedule. The brake fluid maturally attracts water.
When you get enough water in your system it will corrode the brake parts. This
water can also cause your brakes sooner than they would without the water.
$129 sounds a bit on the steep side. The only part you need is about a quart
of brake fluid, under $20. The rest is labor. With the proper tools this
should take less than an hour.
Alex

Brake rotors already grooving [email protected] Technology 46 January 15th 05 03:42 PM
dual ci6rcuit master brake cylinder JS VW air cooled 3 December 20th 04 02:42 PM
Question about Brakes / Master Cylinder [email protected] Technology 8 December 17th 04 01:04 PM
'97 Voyager - Brakes MamaB Dodge 20 December 6th 04 12:26 AM
Master Cylinder - which part number should I use? Chuck Townsley VW air cooled 4 October 21st 04 03:55 PM