TJ towing capacity

Old July 14th 05, 06:32 PM
Dave Milne

Of course, but I think we are now discussing whether their limit of 2 tons
is too high even with a braked trailer.

--
Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
"extremetj" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jeeps reasoning for their towing capacity is due to the wheel base not

what
> the axles can handle they are looking at a safe tow without affecting
> handling or ride and lifting the liability off of Jeep.
>
> Larry
>

> "Chad Fraker" > wrote in message
> > My wife's last horse weighed around 1100. She says the average horse
> > weighs around 1000 lbs. She went to school for equine management, and
> > when we had her WJ limited, we only considered light weight aluminum
> > trailers with their own breaks to haul her horse.
> > "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> >> Bill, these guys are talking a 2500 lb trailer with dual axles and
> >> brakes...
> >>
> >> The TJ limit is 2000 single and brakeless.....
> >>
> >> Crap how much does the damn horse weigh?
> >>
> >> I would stick to rural roads and not think twice about pulling 500 lb
> >> over with it's own 4 wheels and brakes.
> >>
> >> Mike
> >> 86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
> >> 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

horse

Old July 14th 05, 07:10 PM
extremetj

I have had a 20' Inboard boat behind my rubi. with out breaks on the trailer
.... But it was a tandem axle a lil more stabile to pull and pulled at 70
mph. I think that boat was around 5600 lbs

Larry

. uk...

Old July 14th 05, 07:32 PM
Mike Romain

If you got caught doing that here in Canada, it would be really
expensive. You would get tickets for no brakes and an overloaded
vehicle and the cops would call a tow truck for the boat trailer.

I know, I got nailed at 2 AM pulling an empty dually bunk trailer with
my 1/2 ton pickup truck. Figured it wasn't much over 4000 lb. I was
sooo lucky my passenger grew up with the cop..... Only had to pay the
towing bill, got a lecture instead of over $1000.00 in tickets because
it was my first truck I owned.

Your jeep is considered a 1/4 ton vehicle.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 14th 05, 08:38 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You're not towing that with a short wheel base are you?
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 14th 05, 09:01 PM
extremetj

all I was simply saying .... is the limitations were put on there for the
wheel base.. I have since sold the boat . I know about the laws up north I
was raised in Wyoming they are the same there as in Canada for brakes, ect.
and Bill Yes I did it with my '04 Rubicon not very often but it did it. I
just do not have a big truck anymore, but still carry a class A.

Larry

Old July 14th 05, 09:39 PM
Earle Horton

Bill,

I have seen him, or someone who subscribes to his philosophy, on the highway
at seventy. These guys do fine, until they have to perform a high speed
evasive maneuver. The best thing you can do is pass them, or let them pass
and stop for coffee.

Earle

Old July 14th 05, 09:47 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Earle,
Good idea, I'll stop for coffee, as I would be too sick to
continue. I remember trying to tow another Jeep once in an emergence
situation, through the mountains of Southern california, couldn't do it.
You know in the million miles of truck driving, I don't think I ever saw
a Jeep towing more than it was capable of, I would have remembered it
because of my own experience.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 14th 05, 10:10 PM
extremetj

Ok guy's I am not recommending anybody do this, but what I am saying is. if
you need to move a horse from the stall to the vet ... go for it ......
if you are going to go from the house to a rodeo that is more that 15-20
miles away get a truck.

Old July 14th 05, 11:16 PM
Will Honea

I've seen several that were towing more than the DRIVER was capable
of, tho. UHauls loaded so that the tongue was easy to lift, etc.
Looked like a fish swimming down the road. I favor the coffee stop,
myself. Some that I've seen made passing as dangerous as following
and I sure as heck don't them on MY tail!

If wheel base is the primary consideration, why were the MJ - even the
long bed versions, limited to one tow weight with standard
transmissions and at least double the weight with an aout. And why
were the "export" versions (all had D44's) rated for even more tow
weight with the same equipment?

On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 20:47:44 UTC L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

--
Will Honea
Old July 15th 05, 12:42 AM
Kevin in San Diego

That is one dumb ass philosophy. When you kill someone taking your horse to
the vet 5 miles from your property then will it still be ok? Its like saying
you can balance a ladder on a few chairs and stand on the very top of it to
change a light bulb but if you are going to change three lightbulbs buy a
taller ladder.
Use your brain. Stop acting like the rest of the mindless world and do
things right.

KH

"extremetj" > wrote in message
m...
> Ok guy's I am not recommending anybody do this, but what I am saying is.
> if you need to move a horse from the stall to the vet ... go for it

Houston's Mandatory Towing Program Sparks Anger MrPepper11 Driving 19 February 14th 05 03:32 AM
towing capacity mrdenial Ford Explorer 3 January 18th 05 01:19 AM
TOWING A SATURN- from theCONFUSING owners handbook ! misterfact Saturn 25 November 5th 04 08:16 AM
96 Caravan - towing package? EdO Dodge 1 October 25th 04 04:43 AM
VW Golf towing delema Ingo Braune VW water cooled 3 September 22nd 04 04:08 AM