Saturn Relay anyone?

Old February 9th 05, 05:41 PM
Art

"Steph" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Art" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>
>> By the way my elderly parents bought a Saturn L300 wagon.... one of
>> the last ones available. They wanted a small wagon to hold a walker
>> easily in the back and there are very few choices on the market. They
>> got the V6 with leather and all options with a 2 or 3 thousand dollar
>> rebate because they weren't selling too well. Anyway I've owned
>> Toyotas, Subarus, Chryslers, a Chevy, Fords and some others but I
>> cannot believe how poorly handling and noisy the L300 is. And the V6
>> is weaker than many four's I've owned. I've probably put more miles
>> on it then he has over the last year and if this is the best GM can do
>> in a medium size car they might as well give up.
>>

> Fwiw, we bought a LW200 with the 4 cylinder and manual 5-speed.
> With the money saved on the manual transmission we opted for the leather
> interior with heated seats. It was all built to order for us back in
> 2001.
>
> I won't say we have not had some trouble with it, and it's short
> production run means tlented service mechanics are rare but it is a
> great car. Plenty of power, fairly fast, great mileage, quiet (comapred
> to other Saturns), and drives well on mountain roads and slick terrain.
>
> Although previously owned two SL2's and a SW2, and my MIL owning three
> SC2's, it isn't my favorite Saturn (the SW2 takes that trophy) - it is a
> very good car.
>
> I thought the VUE had too high a center of gravity - though I also
> preferred driving a VUE to the Lexus RX300 (huh, go figure).
>
> Do I like where Saturn is going now? Nope, I think they missed their
> market. Maybe they are trying to expand - or maybe they are trying to
> shft with their demographic; the standard equipment on the Relay is
> cool, and nicely priced -- but Saturn is approaching that level of
> detailing and finish where they will lose.
>
> If I could afford either the RX300 or the VUE AWD which do you think I
> would pick? The Lexus becuase we are generally a more vain society than
> a practical one; so what if I liked the VUE's handling better.
>
> Same for the Relay. It isn't designed for larger folks - none of Saturns
> are really. In fact the LW200 is the first car that my 6' frame fits
> well into, but I have still hit my head on the door jamb climbing in/out
> once or twice.
>
> The Relay is a few days late to the mini-van market, and a lot short on
> pieces that count. They have the entertainment system and cool storage
> pockets, but the road noise will make it a pain to constantly adjust the
> volume. And the storage pockets are unuseable if you carry nearly
> ANYTHING else in the vehicle becuase there just isn't the cargo space.

Actually if you are willing to remove the seats it has the most cargo space,
according to Consumer Reports review.

Old February 9th 05, 05:44 PM
Art

Actually plants in Mexico are putting out many reliable cars these days.

Old February 9th 05, 06:10 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Art" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> By the way my elderly parents bought a Saturn L300 wagon.... one of the

last
> ones available. They wanted a small wagon to hold a walker easily in the
> back and there are very few choices on the market. They got the V6 with
> leather and all options with a 2 or 3 thousand dollar rebate because they
> weren't selling too well. Anyway I've owned Toyotas, Subarus, Chryslers,

> Chevy, Fords and some others but I cannot believe how poorly handling and
> noisy the L300 is. And the V6 is weaker than many four's I've owned.

I've
> probably put more miles on it then he has over the last year and if this

is
> the best GM can do in a medium size car they might as well give up.

Thanks for the review. Is there any reason to hope that Aura will be better
or that Saturn will offer any kind of wagon ever again?

Ron Herfurth
94SL1

Old February 9th 05, 06:33 PM
Perfect Reign

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 17:44:14 GMT, someone posing as Art donned fireproof
bloomers and chisled in the wall:

> Actually plants in Mexico are putting out many reliable cars these days.

Anybody remember the Adobe?

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/86/86dadobe.phtml

....German Engineering and Mexican Know-how creating the first car to break
the $200 barrier...

--
kai - perfectreign at yahoo dot com
www.perfectreign.com
Old February 9th 05, 06:42 PM
Perfect Reign

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 17:38:08 -0000, someone posing as Dan Duncan donned
fireproof bloomers and chisled in the wall:

> Has anyone had any experience with the Saturn Relay?

Saw it in the showroom while buying my Vue last month. It seemed okay, but
looked much like an updated Venture/Silhouette. It felt small inside and
not as well built as my '02 Kia Sedona. Reading the specs it has the same
HP and engine size as my Sedona, but I'm guessing that it doesn't have the
Honda engine like I do on my Vue.

I sat in the drivers seat and it felt a bit cramped (I'm 6'4") but more or
less okay. (Give me a Suburban anyday over these newer small
cars/vans/trucks.) Overall, I like the features/looks of my Sedona better
than the Relay, and it costs several thousand less.

Old February 10th 05, 01:59 PM
marx404

Well, I agree with alot of what you ppl are saying about the Relay. And yep,
I remember the Adobe, (wasnt that slo a SNL skit too?) lol.

As with 1st yr models, there are always bugs to work out and features to
change ie: the '05 ION is finally a viable car to drive, w/ over 800 changes
to it for this yr. model making it a better car then previous yrs. (still
needs a few little fixes though, but a better model overall). Perhaps by yr
2 or 3 the Relay will mature and necessary items such as standard side
curtain or seat-side airbags will be on ALL Relays.

btw- the Relay IS a rebadged and reworked Venture/Terrazza/Montana, GM is
cross-branding many of thier models. Doesnt mean that they are all exactly
the same each has thier own personality.

marx404

Old February 10th 05, 07:31 PM

My pet peeve: I always wonder why nobody mentions the terrible gas
mileage these large SUV's (like the Relay) have. it costs a bundle
over a year's time. These cars are clearly not economical.
I have a 4-cylinder Vue, which gets better mileage than the Relay, yet
I wince at every fillup.

Old February 11th 05, 01:48 AM
Art

The Sienna and Honda actually get respectable mileage.

oups.com...

Old February 11th 05, 05:49 PM
Steven M. Scharf

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> My pet peeve: I always wonder why nobody mentions the terrible gas
> mileage these large SUV's (like the Relay) have. it costs a bundle
> over a year's time.

The Relay is not an SUV, nor does it get the terrible gas mileage that large
SUVs get.

Old February 11th 05, 06:19 PM
Ron Herfurth

"Steven M. Scharf" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > My pet peeve: I always wonder why nobody mentions the terrible gas
> > mileage these large SUV's (like the Relay) have. it costs a bundle
> > over a year's time.

> The Relay is not an SUV, nor does it get the terrible gas mileage that

large
> SUVs get.

Saturn's page says the Relay gets 18 mpg city and 24 mpg highway which seems
terrible to me. Are you saying that there are vehicles that get worse?

ron 94SL1 and waiting for the next Saturn wagon